Wellbutrin xl how long to feel better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wellbutrin xl how long to feel better? Wellbutrin xl how long to feel better?

Unread 01-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Wellbutrin xl how long to feel better?

I am severly depressed and went to my physician today who perscribed me Wellbutrin xl. My question is how long before it starts to work and how has it worked for other people? I feel like if I have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for it to start working I will go insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 05:19 AM

Hi kybanker;
I was passing by and saw your post had no replies. I don't have any answers for you but wanted to you back up a few pages and see if anyone can help you!
In the mean time, I'll be thinking of you!

Sybie
Unread 01-13-2005, 06:50 AM

Wellbutrin has been a blessing to me. I have been on Wellbutrin for several years. I started out on Wellbutrin SR 2x a day but had insomnia. I switched to Wellbutrin XL and don't have the sleep problems anymore. When I first started on the medication it took a few weeks for my body to adjust. During the time I was adjusting to the medication I tried to take each day as it came and made sure I spent time each day in prayer and meditation - it did help me "hang in there" until the medication began to be fully effective.

Medications can work differently for different people. What works for one may not work for another. Sometimes many different medications need to be tried until you find one that works for you.

Sending s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 07:26 AM

As a rule, antidepressants usually take 2-4 weeks until you feel the full effects.
I tried Wellbutrin last year, and ended up switching to Zoloft.
Please keep in touch w/doc who presrcibed your meds.
I have a psychiatrist do my med management, I do not think that the GP's know about all of the different drugs and how to tweak doses.

There are several options out there, not all the drugs work the same for everyone. Hang in there!!! It WILL get better!!!!!

Here's a big for you, I know you need it!!!

Marcia
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:46 AM

I agree that GP's usually do not monitor patients well with anti-depressants. Also, they are not as well versed in the drugs as psychiatrists. If you have any problems, I would see a psychiatrist.
gg
Unread 01-13-2005, 08:06 AM

It can take a month for the full effects to show up, but I often feel *some* improvement in the first week when I start a new antidepressant. It may very well just be placebo effect, but I don't care, as long as it lasts until the real effects show up.

If you're physically well enough to get some exercise, that can help tide you over until the meds start to work.
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:29 AM

Kybanker:

I am on Zoloft and felt he effects within a day or so. I seem to be very sensitive to this med and it took some tweaking for us to get it right. Please be very open and honest about how you are feeling (especially) in this initial period with your doctor. Should you feel worse or have thoughts of suicide or harming anyone else, call immediately (day or night).

I hope you have a support system (DH, friend, relative) helping to keep an eye on you in addition to your doc.

Lots of s and I hope you start feeling better soon!!
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Wellbutrin XL

I have been on Wellbutrin XL for over 2 years. When I first began
taking it I started to feel "different" after 4/5 days. I started sleeping better, and little by little...I'm BACK!!

It may make you nauseous at first, but it does go away. I take mine at night so this doesn't happen any more.

Hang in there!

Cindy
Unread 01-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the replys!

I just wanted to thank you for all the great replys and advice. I am feeling better, I think just talking about it and knowing I am getting some help has made me feel better. I am also making sure I get up at the same time each morning and stay up and walking twice a day if I want to or not. My girls and I are staying with my parents right now because my husband is out of town. It has been a huge support to have them helping me through this. They make sure I don't stay in bed and keep me busy while the girls are at school. My Dad works at the local college and he is working with the psychology professer there to find me a great psychiatrist. I will be get a second opinion from him or her about the treatment my doc. has perscribed plus talk to him or her once a week for a while. My doc. also gave me doxepin to help me sleep if I need it. I told him I didn't want a sleeping pill and he said it worked well to help people go to sleep. We shall see.
Unread 01-16-2005, 03:14 PM

I am on both Lexapro and Wellbutrin. I've found that it takes 3 days before I feel something, but a couple weeks longer to get full affect. I wish you luck, and please don't give up! If you don't feel better in a few weeks, sometimes it takes an increased dosage or combination to get the best affect. Stay in touch with your doctor, and if you feel worse, call them right away, is my advice!!!

Hugs and good luck!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register