Anybody return to work too soon?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anybody return to work too soon?? Anybody return to work too soon??

Unread 01-13-2005, 02:15 PM
Anybody return to work too soon??

Beautsbelle - - - beautifully said! If given the choice, I don't think any of our co-workers would choose this "vacation package" instead of overtime!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 02:34 PM

My surgery was 12/16 and I am planning to return 2/1 which is about 6 weeks. My disability insurance covers me until 1/26, which is the 6 week mark. If I want to stay out 8 weeks I have to file a mountain of paperwork and give them medical records and they may or may not approve. They said a note from my doctor was not enough. I don't understand that, as they automatically approve 8 weeks for women who have caesarian births. My doctor said I could return whenever I feel up to it, but that my internal stitches would not be fully healed and I still have restrictions until 2/10.

But in any case, I am feeling well, my cancer requires no follow up treatment, and I am ready to give it a go. I am bored at home and my co workers are very busy doing my work. I hope that I don't regret not fighting for 8 weeks. I am planning to ask my boss if I can leave early for the first couple of weeks, I hope to have dinners in the freezer or DH will cook, and I am then going straight to bed!
Unread 01-13-2005, 03:02 PM

I've been guilted to go back early.

My mother had a hysterectomy almost 30 years ago. Not one person questioned the amount of time it took for recovery. People showed up at our door with meals so she wouldn't have to deal with any of that. It wasn't considered a vacation...

... what happened? what on earth makes people think that anything has changed in the recovery period for ANY surgery? Why on earth are we feeling guilty for knowing and feeling like we just had organs removed from our bodies and we'd like time to recover?

Tremendous stress has been dumped on our bodies, not to mention trying to compensate for the invasion of medical instruments -- medications and most of all, TRAUMA.

Good luck, Ladies. I know that I'm having a hard time trying to figure all of this out too.

-- Geri.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 03:30 PM

Do not allows others to pressure you into going back to work too soon. I went back to work too soon after I broke my pelivs and boy was it a mistake!! Take the time you need.
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:01 PM

I'm 5 weeks post op. I have gone back to work 1/2 days this week, only because my DR said I could, and by 12:00 I'm wiped out and come home to take a nap!! I am a bookkeeper, so those of you who have an on-your-feet job; I say, NO WAY!!!! This is your only chance to recover properly, If your co-workers have been without you for 5 weeks, what's 1 or 2 more !!

I had a post - op visit today, and am doing really well, but my dr said no marithons yet!!!! He said that all my restrictions (even sex) still apply until the 6-week mark!! And then I can EASE back into my life, but to take it very slowly!!

Hang in there with me sisters!! We are almost there!! bb
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:08 PM

I started back to work 1/2 time on Wednesday. I needed a nap when I returned home yesterday. My belly was swollen and I needed to put on my PJ'S. I haven't taken a nap for 2 weeks.
Today was better but my body is definitely in slow motion. I am not going to take the nap and instead go to bed early. I am glad I chose 1/2 time to ease into my job. My job is fairly active working with children. I do look forward to tomorrow (paperwork day) when I can reorient myself to the office. I think I needed to get back and feel somewhat productive. ( My husband is driving me crazy also!) My Doc is very willing to allow me to work part time for as long as I feel I need to. I am lucky my job allows me to build up sick leave that I haven't used from year to year. Only you can know how your body can repond to the demands of your job. I highly suggest going back 1/2 time to ease into the demands on your body.
Nancy
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:30 PM

I think it is very important that we take the time we need. I had my TAH on 12-14, and although my DR has cleared me for just about anything (she said not to move any furniture, but most tasks were okay) I know that my body is still not ready for a full work day. My belly swells after a very short time sitting at the computer or folding laundry. I am NOT YET ready to teach active fourth graders.

I'm scheduled to go back to work on 2/1, and I have the option of working half days if I need to. I love my principal and feel so blessed!

Please take the time to heal, it is your only chance to do it right.
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM

I am 5 weeks today and it was my second day at work today but half day.
Yesterday, I was shaky by the time I got home around noon.
Today, I actually felt better because I slept a few hours straight last night since I was so tired.

I think half days work out better but mind you I drive to work - 15 mins

If you insurance covers you I think you should take advantage of the time and get stronger and better and most of all be ready before you return to work.

Best of luck,

muppets
Unread 01-13-2005, 05:26 PM

Hi,

Lucky for me, the office was closed during the holidays so I went back to work at week 10 instead of week 8, and it was just right.

I was tired at the end of the day but it was manageable. I work in the accounting/payroll dept so I mostly sit at the computer all day. Well: sitting down all day at the computer is not that easy the first days. By 2 pm, my pants were unbuttoned and I couldn't wait to get into my pajamas to make room for swelly burning belly. Concentration & memory also seems affected in my case.

Going back earlier would most likely have been harder. I know it's hard but if you are able to, please wait and try not to feel guilty about extra work load for coworkers, you are worth taking the time off to heal...
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:02 PM

I am ready for bed. As soon as we eat I probably will be there. 1.5 commute and 4 hours work have wiped me out. I to suffer from brain fog. I am so tired now that I forgot what I was doing and almost ruined dinner. Good night to all. Sleep well. I will!
Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register