soy and uterine cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

soy and uterine cancer soy and uterine cancer

Unread 01-13-2005, 12:42 PM
soy and uterine cancer

I was just wondering if anyone here thinks that their cancer might have come from eating too much soy?

At the time I was diagnosed with uterine cancer I was eating soy isoflavonces on a daily basis and I can't stop thinking this is what caused my cancer.

I would appreciate your feedback very much.

Thank you, Connie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 08:30 PM
soy and uterine cancer

I never heard anything like that. Asian women eat lots of soy. do they have more uterine cancer? Not as far as I know.

We all want to find a reason for our cancer. I think it makes us feel like we have some control, but, sadly, we don't. People of all ages get cancer, and its rare that anyone knows 'why'. I know a woman who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at age 5. No one knows why. It happens, and we just have to accept it and get well. Looking for the reason usually isn't very productive.

Best,
Janie
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:59 PM
soy and uterine cancer

Hi Connie,

Soy isoflavins are touted by some to be "good" estrogen suppliments for menopausal women who do not want to take synthetic estrogen. Kind of a "natural" estrogen supliment. I also have read that some think these isoflavins may have less potential to cause cancer than synthetics because they hit different receptors. My understanding is there is no concensus, and answers vary depending on who you ask. Certainly no "for sure" science or FDA recommendations. I am sure there are more knowledgable sisters who may come along and address this issue better.

But for me, I think I got endometrial CA at age 40 because I was estrogen domenent. My thinking is the "cause" was many-fold: my ovaries produced too much; I know there is a tremendous amount of hormones in our foods; I did not take birth control pills (felt to be protective for endo CA); perhaps a genetic predisposition; and who knows what else.

The other thing I do think is that there is nothing you did "wrong" to get CA; nothing you should "not have done" that cuased it; and that no one is immune from the possibility of developing it. I am sure you are doing what you need to do to take care of yourself and move beyond this unwanted event. Take care, Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 04:45 PM
soy and uterine cancer

Connie, you might also want to look at the following thread entitled "the effects of soy" https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ghlight=soy%2A
It contains some info re soys possible effect on estrogen.
I actually asked my gyn/onc re this since for quite some time I had followed a vegetarian diet and ate an abundance of soy based foods. He said there was no concrete evidence that soy caused estrogen increases. He did mention that overweight women, which I am, often have higher estrogen levels because fat cells give off this hormone.
s, peggiesue

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register