please read if you've had a TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please read if you've had a TVH please read if you've had a TVH

Unread 01-13-2005, 03:45 PM
please read if you've had a TVH

Please anyone that has had a vaginal hysterectomy, with alot of lower back pain that has followed that.
I'm curious to see how many of you are experiencing the same as I have.
I'd like to know how long and if you are still having that problem.
I had my surgery in August of 2004...still out from work with continous lower back problems!
Thats why I'm curious as to how many are actually having the same problem.
Thanks for replying. Yvonne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 04:07 PM

Yvonne,
I'm only a month out, but my back hurts almost every day. I'm just now getting back to the gym, and I know that it will help with that problem. I know the back is hurting from lack of being able to use the stomach muscles. Doc still told me not to any weight lifting that would require me to use those muscles.

Hope your back feels better soon and don't forget that the heating pad can be your best friend. I went out yesterday and bought those Thermacare pads so I can put them on when I go back to work next week. They are disposable heating pads that wrap around the mid section. I can't wait to try them.
Unread 01-13-2005, 04:17 PM

Hi Yvonne

I had a LAVH in July. I have always suffered from lower back pain, however I have noticed that lately the back pain is not as bad as it used to be. If it continues you might want to explore other options. I hope you start to feel better.

Cherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 05:33 PM

Yvonne---you aren't alone on this one as far as back aches go..I am right there with you.
I have suffered with lower back aches for a while now and since my tvh in Nov.2004 I have still continued to have this problem...WHY...wish I knew..I am just hoping it goes away soon. I will say this--it isn't 1/2 as bad but it still makes itself present in my daily life that is for sure...I returned back to work last week and it went pretty go so I am hoping it contiues to go that way...Good luck to you...................peace!

P/S---I kept my ovaries so I still ovulate as I did before my surgery and the DR said that may be why I still have backaches....I have policystic ovaries.........how about you???
Unread 01-13-2005, 05:46 PM

I had a TVH with vaginal suspension 4 weeks ago and I don't have any pain. I do get some achiness if I overdo it or lie around too much. I've learned quickly how much is comfortable for my body and I try to stick to it! Except for today--I spent the day at the school volunteering and made a birthday cake for a little boy who's mom is on chemo.

Love and blessings,
Angie K
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:40 PM

I've got a herniated disk so I'm really in agony. It was my biggest problem immediately after surgery and will be for some time to come. I was warned about it by my anthesiologist (of all people) at my pre-op appt. She explained that it's all that time in the stirrups and the position they have you in. Just think about how they have to kind of turn you and push on some vaginal proceedures, and a hysterectomy is any too gentle when your up there for all those hours!
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:44 PM

My lower back pain feels like when I was about to start my period. Same place, same intensity. It's not constant, but it is present.
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:22 AM

Hi everyone,
Yesterday was my hysterversary of my TVH. I've had really bad lower back pain and sciatica ever since. My hips, especially the right one, were very stiff and sore post op which I had expected and I felt really deep pain in my lower back. I was bemused because it was that giving me trouble and not the surgery and has been that way since - if I knew what I knew now ...... a year on and still this pain. I've had physio, referred by my gyn, chiropractic and now take anti-inflammatories, prescribed pain killers and now on anti-depressants. I'm in uk so have to go through our waiting list systems. My gp referred me to the neurosurgeon back in april ........ I got my appointment in July and he logged me for an mri scan as he agreed with my gp that he suspects disc trouble. I got the scan in December and finally get the results next week. I tried returning to work in September on a re-hab programme which was 2 hours a day. I just couldn't do it. The pain was far too great and I'm currently signed off now till march. The saddest thing is that I feel sooooo much better following the hyst - even now, people tell me I look so much better. I don't regret having it done - just this low back problem and not being able to do the most simple of things I've always taken for granted. Hopefully, the scan will reveal what's going on and something can be done so I can get back to living.
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:15 PM

just giving this a b u m p incase anyone else has experienced it and not seen this post ... I am curious to know also Yvonne!
Unread 01-14-2005, 04:01 PM

I am 6 months post op today!!! I have had back problems for years, getting worse every month during my period. I have 2 mm herniated disk at L4-5. I also have had upper back issues due to a broken collor bone that will never heal that I re injured last January.
I took a pain pill yesterday for the lower back thing. Right after my surgery I had some killer spasms which definitely made recovery harder than it had to be. Hang in there. I have learned that I have to maintain a certain level of stretching and some exercise to even move these days. Have you talked to your Dr? Did you ever have back issues before?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register