Bladder Spasms After Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder Spasms After Surgery Bladder Spasms After Surgery

Unread 01-13-2005, 04:34 PM
Bladder Spasms After Surgery

I'm home from the castle. Boy! What an experience. I thought I had myself prepared but I had no idea how bad the pain would be. Getting in and out of bed proved to be real chore. Surgery went as planned on 1/10 , TAH, LSO with no complications. The catheter came out the next mprning as did the morphine drip. That was some powerful stuff. On Tuesday I began having trouble going to the batroom, not producing enough. On Wednesday I was barely producing any and I began to have a lot of pain. They gave me a pill to see if that would work but to no avail. They said I was having bladder spasms so the catheter went back in and now I have it at home. What fun it is lugging it around. I am still having the spasms. I am supposed to take it out in the morning but I am worried that I still will not be able to go to the bathroom. Anyone else gone though this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 04:38 PM

I have bladder and bowel spasms. My doctor (GI Dr) gave me a script for "Levsin". OMG what a difference!!
Unread 01-13-2005, 05:18 PM

When you take the Cath out, give it at least an hour (2 if you can) before you try to go.

You could try the running water trick with you hand under the water, this helps some people.

If you can't go, or your out put drops again, you must go back to the Hosp so they can re-do the Cath. Don't leave it too long as that can be very painfull.

Several of the ladies have had to be taught how to put the Cathin themselves, maybe one of them can help more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-13-2005, 06:08 PM
I did have bladder spqsms the first and second days post-op

When I came out of the anesthesia, I had a catheter still in me. My bladder hurt and felt like I had to pee really badly. About an hour later they removed the catheter, and I was able to urinate, but it was painful and came in little spurts. I found that just sitting on the toilet with the sink water running was helpful. I don't think I was emptying my bladder completely, but I would wait until I had several "spurts". I found that a heating pad really helped make my bladder less painful and spastic. At first they gave me disposable heat packs, but finally ordered a heating pad for me. Things improved greatly in the first two days, and today is my 3rd post-op day, and my bladder is only slightly sensitive. I've been using a hot water bottle instead of a heating pad now.

I hope your situation improves soon. I would try the hot water bottle or heating pad, if your doctor says it's ok.

My main problem the last two days has been gassiness and bloating. My shoulders and back hurt from all the gas they filled me wiht during the surgery, and now my bowels are all messed up from surgery, percoset and probably the antibiotics I was given. I've discovered Gas-X and started taking acidophillus today. I think it's helping

Emily
Unread 01-13-2005, 06:19 PM
It does get better...

Hello ladies!

In my 6th day post-op...and it does get better!

I had the folley cath when I woke up from surgery...had it for the first 24 hours...had a few spasms and a shot of something to relieve bladder spasms....thought it was the most awful feeling. Strong urges to pee, but a cath in there draining away without control.

Anyway, the cath was removed and I was bladder scanned and it showed I was only holding 45cc's in my bladder still. However, since I had a sling and my bladder popped around during surgery, my dr wanted a straight cath to make sure. Sure thing, I was retaining over 300cc's and the folley cath went right back in for the next 24 hours.

I should have stayed in the castle longer, but I wanted to go home to sleep!

I was straight cath'd again after the folley was removed the second time and I was only retaining 70cc's of urine. They let me go home. I promised to drink lots of fluid and go and go and go.

The hour trip home was miserable and we had to stop 3 times for me to go, and on one stop I went twice.

I had a few BM problems, but the gas-x and ex-lax took care of that by day 4 and since I have had no problems with my bladder or BM's.

My doctor wanted me to come home with that folley cath...but I really wanted not too...hence...the bladder scan and such.

My bladder is actually behaving in a way I haven't remembered in a long long time. I have no more incontienence...and I can go without it stopping and starting....it feels great to pee finally.

Have a little hope....get past day 6 and see how you are compared to today!

And hope you get your cath out soon. That thing really made me feel like my bladder was not functioning....maybe too uncontrollable.

Blessings!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register