PROBABLE DAMAGE - ANGRY/UPSET - Need to Vent | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PROBABLE DAMAGE - ANGRY/UPSET - Need to Vent PROBABLE DAMAGE - ANGRY/UPSET - Need to Vent

Unread 01-10-2005, 03:50 PM
PROBABLE DAMAGE - ANGRY/UPSET - Need to Vent

Hi.

I need to vent!!!!!!!!!

Well I went for my post-op today. I'm upset and angry. I'm not blaming my surgeon for this, it's not her fault. It's out of her hands.

I need to see a urologist.

How can you go into a hospital feeling good and come out in pain and damaged? How can the very places that are supposed to fix you do you harm?

I had a SAH, kept ovaries because of 1 or 2 heavy days of bleeding during my period and removal of a cyst that ended up being harmless. Now whenever I urinate I'm in pain.

I should have listened to my DH and boss and not gotten this surgery. My mother-in-law kept pushing me and scaring me. Telling me how every one thought I was insane not to have it done.

Ultimately though, I chose to do it. It was my decision. No one held a gun to my head. At this point in time, I wish I didn't have it done.

I know for many in pain it's a Godsend, but for me, I think it was huge a mistake.

I guess I should feel lucky. When they treated my father for prostate cancer, they damaged his colon and bladder with radiation and caused a fistula and now he has a colostomy and urostomy for the rest of his life.

The way the doc explained it: It's a common occurence. When the cath was inserted it caused the uterer to close up.

In other words:

When the nurse aggressively forced the cath in me, she caused damage. The healing from the damage has caused scar tissue to build up and the uterer has paritially closed. When they removed the cath it was COVERED WITH BRIGHT RED BLOOD. Ever since I've had pain urinating.

She gave me some pills to try for bladder spasms. I could tell she thought it was worth a try, but I don't think she thought it would work because she told me to make an appointment with a urologist. She then went to explain about the cath causing the uterer to narrow; very careful not to say it was damaged.

What she told me also is:

I may now have to undergo a "procedure" whereby the urologist inserts a tube with anesthetic in the uterer and attempts to clear the narrowing.

Great! Now who's going to pay for all of this? ME?!?! I didn't shove the cath in myself!!!!! This just doesn't sound fair!

As Forrest would say: "That's all I've got to say about that." At least for now!

Anyone who has had this problem of the uterer closing up -
PLEASE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS AND HOW YOU ARE DOING!!!

Thanks.
God Bless
Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 04:47 PM

Joanne,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this.

I was born with one kidney and lots of bladder problems. I had surgery for this type of thing as a very small child, and once as an adult due to a very bad bladder infection. When I was little, it was a big deal staying in the hospital, etc. When I was an adult, it was outpatient and except for the anesthetic (sp?), I was fine that night. I would rate along the lines of a tonscilectomy. Serious, but not major surgery.

I know this doesn't really help your situation, but I hope it puts your mind at ease about the surgery if you have to have it.

Good luck and I hope everythig works out soon. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Unread 01-10-2005, 05:05 PM
a complication

I just want to say Aww-I am so sorry you are having this complication.

You made your decision to have the surgery based on what you thought at the time. You did what you though was the right thing, and no one ever thinks the risks will happen to them. I even had several doc's ask me before back surgery one time if anyone told me it would fix my problem. Well, duh-if you didn't think it would fix your problem why would any ever do any medical procedure?

Just know you can come here and vent anytime-

You can also do a search about urether damage during a hysterectomy and find out who has been through it if someone doesn't answer quickly.

Let us know how it works out-someone else might benefit from what happened to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-10-2005, 05:06 PM

I am so sorry you are having this very bad experience. This is not a fun club to be in!

Is it your urethra or your ureter that is injured? The urethra sounds like the more likely site of injury. In any event it is a very unusual injury. In all my years of hospital nursing (13+years) I have never heard of that one. It is rarely difficult to insert a cath, they are soft and flexible and so if you push on them they sort of collapse.

If the injury is your ureter--I have never heard of a catheter causing that one. You need more information from another source.

I also wonder how she knows that whatever it is has narrowed or how the source of the blood was determined.
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
Been there....

I am very sorry you are having to go through this. I have had a similar experience but mine came about differently.

My hysterectomy was on monday dec 6th - surgery went great - however all that afternoon and evening they keep forcing to me drink more and more stating my bladder was not emptying correctly and to push fluids. I also developed a fever which spiked to 102 by the next day and I had this horrible pain in my right side. They took for me an a series of xrays and an IVP (which was a horrible experience) and discovered that during surgery somehow, my urethra was damaged and almost completely closed. I had to go back into surgery immediately to have a stent put in by the urologist so that my kidneys would not shut down. I had the stent in for 2 weeks. It was funny to put it in they did in the operating room, but to remove it was outpatient at the doctors office.

It although it made it seem like a had a never ending bladder/kidney infection - it did its job and that is behind me! I have had my check up after the they took it out and everything is looking good.

I am curious as well to know how she knows it is narrowed, just by exam or some how else? You may not need the stent but the urologist is defintely the one you need to see. I felt the same way you do - angry and upset - but unfortunately it cannot be undone and there are ways to fix it and make it better. When do you go and see the urologist? Do you have insurance?

Look to the bright side of why you had the surgery - I know that is hard since you are in pain all the time when you go to the bathroom - been there - but keep your chin up and know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel - unfortunately sometimes you have to fight your way there! Keep us posted and hopefully things will get better for you soon!
Unread 01-13-2005, 10:45 AM

Hi Joanne:

I am so sorry this happened to you.

I never heard of it, and was not warned of that possibility. And believe me, I had a LIST of things I was warned about.

Hopefully, the urologist can give you more information.

I too had lots of bladder problems when I was younger, and had my urethra stretched (Sorry if TMI) but it sounds like your nurse was a little rough.

If this was caused by the nurses error, you should not have to pay for the repair or all of the other complications from this procedure.

good luck, and I hope everything works out for you.
Unread 01-13-2005, 11:54 AM

I am sorry foryour pain. There should not be any cost to you. D you have insurance? If so they should pay for it, if not, the tht hospital who employed the nurse should.
I pray that once this is taken care of, and you get back to healing, you will again be reassured that the hyst was indeed the right thing to do.
Carrie
Unread 01-13-2005, 01:56 PM

FLlady, at this point I hope you have found out what the problem was/ and what the fix is.

This is to clarify for others.

The urethra is the tube that carries urine from the bladder to the outside world. When a foley catheter is put in- this where it goes. A foley catheter would not harm the ureters but it could irritate the urethra because it is inside of it. Also, having a foley catherter in can introduce an infection into your bladder. One should observe for signs of a bladder infection for a few days after having anything introduced into the bladder. Hysterectomy would in no way injure this part of the body.

The ureters, you have a right and left. These two tubes transport urine from the kidneys to the bladder. Either tube can be damaged during a hysterectomy. They can be sutured or cut. This can be a serious injury if not repaired quickly. The best chance for sucessful repair is when it is found during the operation. If a ureter is sutured the urine cannot pass from kidney to bladder the urine will back up into the kidney. This is very painful. The ureter will also become very swollen and dialated. This is diagnosed with a CT/Urogram using a contrast material.
Unread 01-13-2005, 06:05 PM
Urethral dilation

I worked for a urologist and I used to help (and in some cases DO) urethral dilations. From what the ladies told me, the procedure wasn't painful and brought them a lot of relief. If you need ureteral dilation, I know nothing about that.

As far as payment goes, I can tell you from experience that because nothing life threatening happened to you, you will be responsible to pay. It's not fair, but unfortunately, in the US that's the way the law works

Love and blessings,
Angie K.
Unread 01-13-2005, 07:03 PM

So sorry to hear about this, but I just wanted to offer a little bit of my own experience with you.

I have congenital abnormalities with both kidneys, and a foley catheter has been known to cause my urethra to become irritated and stretch very uncomfortably. Please do see a urologist for some relief, if there was any damage to a ureter there are procedures that are done to open up or widen the ureter, which some of the other ladies have said, it requires a stent and can be very helpful. I hope you can find some relief and peace of mind. Also, feel free to vent, this is very frustrating for you and I'm sorry that you are having to go through this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register