precancerous cells on cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

precancerous cells on cervix precancerous cells on cervix

Unread 01-14-2005, 10:17 AM
precancerous cells on cervix

I still have no date for the castle, waiting is hard. So, the questions keep coming to mind.. I will ask dr these questions, but in the meantime, I like to ask my sisters here.
I have dysplasia, pre cancer cells on cervix, also lining is thick in uterus, been taking provera to have periods again...
When the cervix is out,, can those cells go somewhere else?? I have never heard anything on this. Also, like a few of us here, I think I am scared of what they will find , instead of the recovery. I can handle pain well, and being lazy, and being waited on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 11:25 AM

Hi nanagoat,

I too have severe dysplasia. I've been getting paps every three months for the last two years, not to mention biopsies, cryotherapy & lEEP. Last month my gyn said it was time to consider a hysterectomy. I'm 27. My castle date is Monday and I'm starting to freak out. I got a second opinion and she too recomended a hyst. because cancer seems to really like my gene pool and it went from mild to severe in 3 months and they can't seem to get rid of it any way we try. Are you just having your cervix removed? I was told that was not a good option for me and that the uterus had to go too but the ovaries could stay. I was told i will still need a pap once a year to make sure the dysplasia doesn't show up in the vagina. It's not common but it does happen. I too look forward to napping a lot and being treated like the princess I always knew i was
Unread 01-14-2005, 07:51 PM

(((Nanagoat))) Yes, dysplasia can occur on the vaginal wall. As mentioned previously, it is very rare, but it's important that you continue to have follow-up PAP's to monitor the situation. Most of us who had our hysterectomies for dysplasia follow a similar schedule: every 3 months for the first 2 years, then some us go to 6-month visits for the next 3 years while others just go to annual visits after the first 2 years. Check with your doctor on your schedule.

(((Nksnow77))) So sorry to hear that you've been having problems with dysplasia and now need a hysterectomy. I'm curious to know why you are not considered to be a good candidate for the trachelectomy (if you don't mind sharing that information)? Trachelectomies have been done for a long time in Europe, but have only been done in the U.S. for a couple of years. Was your second opinion done with a gynecologic oncologist?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Jeanine,

Thanks for your reply. When my ob/gyn recommended a hyst. I started doing research and found out about the trachelectomy procedure. I asked about it being an option wnem i went and got a second opinion. She did not recommend it based on the pathology reports from my last biopsy and Leep biopsy. Same goes from my regular doc. It had spread pretty high in my cervix. My reg. doc. said it was everywhere, there was no clear margin (?). I did not see gynecologic oncologist. I had a hard time coming to this decision and now it's less than 48 hours away. I felt like I was too young. I have two great DS's. I had them at a young age (18 & 20) and people gave me a hard time about that but now i feel like it was meant to be. If I had waited who knows what would have happened. My great-grandmother & grandmother both had a hyst. due to cervical cancer plus other problems. "I do not feel like I have a good enough hand to keep playing this game. If I fold now and walk away I'll be ok. If I keep gambling I may lose everything." I got that analogy from my grandmother. Her doctor asked her if she was a gambler and that's when she came up with that. I did not know that she or my GG had gone through this too until last month when I told her that I was having one.

Nicky
Unread 01-15-2005, 08:33 PM

(((Nicky))) Thanks for the response. I'm always trying to gather information that I can pass on to others when they are in a similar situation. We do have a couple of ladies who had early-stage cancers who were able to have trachelectomies, but I know it isn't the right procedure for everyone.

I want to wish you well with your surgery. You shouldn't feel like you're folding your hand--perhaps you're just playing a different game than the one you started playing. Regardless, the important thing is that it was caught early and now you are having it treated. I hope it goes well.

I hope you don't mind my adding a suggestion, but if your doc has said that it's pretty widespread and there's no clear margin, you might like to inquire if they will be examining your vaginal wall well to make sure they get all of those cells. Some docs take a very wide circle of tissue around the top of the cervix, others take a smaller one. The top of the cervix is continuous with the vaginal wall, and there are no clear dotted lines in there to say where one ends and the other begins. It would be nice if they were able to make sure they got all of the abnormal cells in the event they might have spread a little bit.

And remember to keep those follow-up appointments! While it is rare that the cells spread to the vaginal wall, it can happen. So be proactive!

Unread 01-15-2005, 10:20 PM

Jeanine,

Thanks for the suggestion. I never thought to ask that.

Nicky
Unread 01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
thanks

thank you for the responses,,, I never heard of anything else being done for dysplaysia, except a leep. Sometimes I feel like I should just keep my cervix, so the cells will go there, but I know better. I will do what ever the dr says, even if I have to move in with her !!
I just found out my castle date, thought I would be scared, but very calm, actually can`t wait for it to be over with.
Thanks again,,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register