Being an extra large princess, I have a couple concerns.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Being an extra large princess, I have a couple concerns.... Being an extra large princess, I have a couple concerns....

Unread 01-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Being an extra large princess, I have a couple concerns....

For example, how do I know what is "swelly belly" & what isn't.
Sometimes, I think I look huge, & at other times, I appear almost flat (a rarity for me).

Another concern is the incision site. My doc chose to do a higher than bikini cut, because of the extra tummy, even tho' the c'section scars were in the fold. He couldn't believe that I really was this same size when I gained the c-section scars. I've fooled him, & healed much more quickly than he thought I would, just as I did with the c's.

I'm actually a little tee'ed off about this, but what can you do when he chooses the incision site. I've fooled him, though, & healed much more quickly than he thought I would, just as I did with the c's.

I know there are issues for us larger princesses. What have been your experiences. Or am I the only large princess here ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 01:19 PM

You are definitely not the only large princess!

I'm a plus-size gal (just have a look at my photos here!).

I had the bikini line incision - which was a natural fold for my fluffiness.
I've healed just fine, incision-wise. My only "issue" has to do with tumminess wanting to go its own direction when I'm sleeping or when I'm vertical. (Gravity, donchaknow!)

I solved the sleeping discomfort by propping a pillow under my tummy while I lay on my side. I just use an old "gone flat" pillow that has been retired from the head of the bed. Some people like the smaller square ones that you might toss on a sofa or chair. Some people use the ones called "squishies", and even others use full body pillows to toss one leg over for comfort.

For the upright hours, I have taken to wearing a support panty or very light girdle if I'm not wearing control top pantyhose that day to work. Makes me look like I've lost more weight since surgery than I have - so the compliments are motivating me to work on my eating/exercise habits more.
Unread 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM

I'm also a plus size woman...I had the bikini cut which fit exactly into the fold of my tummy hangover. I was worried the incision would heal because it couldn't "breathe", but it's all fine now! I still feel that my tummy is a bit swollen, but not sure if I've ever had "swelly belly" as described here. It also feels a bit numb yet. My main concern is being able to get back into the pants I'll have to wear to work on about 2 weeks! YIKES!!!

Virginia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Another plus size princess here!

My doctor did a vertical incision on me, mostly because I had cancer and they needed to get in there and see everything.

I read my operative report, and it said that my operation took an extra hour because of my weight. That is a sobering thought.

But I am doing well. I am worried too about fitting into my clothes because of my swelly belly (no confusion here, I have it). I was thinking of buying some nice pantssuits with elastic waists.
Unread 01-14-2005, 03:17 PM

Interesting question about swelly belly. Here's an answer from a decidedly "fluffy" sister:

I'm not really sure I had it per se -- but my belly felt hard to the touch (and it's usually, well, a bit flabby I must admit ). I wore a support garment for the first several weeks after surgery, and it actually felt good to have the support.

My incision was hip-to-hip, right along the bikini line. (Also had a panniculectomy.) I didn't have any particular healing problems, but it did take nearly 10 full weeks for the incision to close because they left it over 1/2 open. No complaints there, either -- they wanted it to heal from the inside out to discourage infections, etc. It worked.

My op (including the panniculectomy) was supposed to be over in 1-1/2 hours, but it took an hour longer. Not because of my weight, though -- because they found my bladder and uterus were adhered to each other.
Unread 01-14-2005, 04:45 PM

hi there,
I am a chubby princess too.....

I had a vertical incision running from my belly button and into my pubic area and have had no problems. I guess it depends on how plus we are and how much of that tummy overhang there is to begin with...
Unread 01-14-2005, 05:32 PM

I'm a plus-size princess, and like you, tawny, I had a bikini cut that was higher than usual. I was grateful for this, since it meant I didn't have to worry about keeping in dry since it wasn't in a fold.

My surgery was actually a little shorter than my doctor told me it would be, and my healing was quick and easy. Once home, my mom and I fashioned a support from some muslin and some velcro, and it was a relief during the many walks I took around the block.

I read somewhere once that fluffy women heal better from surgeries; if my experience is a case in point, I believe it!
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:29 PM

I just reread my post, & I apologize for the duplication.

My surgery was 1 1/2 hrs longer than expected, but also because of adhesions & not due to weight.

I have not really noticed any "shifting" after the first few days home, tho' I did at first. I never even thought about supporting the belly when on my side. Go figure !

I have found that the light support panty is very confortable. I was concerned that it wouldn't fit, but it fits fine, & feels good. I kind of wish I had more for when I go back to work next week.

Still not sure about the "swelly belly", but it is probably there, & I am not as bothered by it as some of our more slender sisters. (no offenxe intended toward any of us).

I am glad to know there are others out there besides myself.
Unread 01-15-2005, 05:32 AM

I love being able to call myself "fluffy"
Makes me think that I am more like my 5 kitty kats!!!!!

I have been fluffier than I am now.

Last year, I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and put on a low-dose medication. Suddenly, and more easily than ever, the weight started coming off, with the help of a walking routine and fairly low-fat diet.

All of my clothes got wayyyy to big, but I'm glad that I kept some pants. To be graphic, I have a huge gut, and my inner muscles have lost all elasticity and hope that they will ever support my inner organs. This is because I went overdue with twins and they were big-almost 8 and 9 lbs.

I wasn't sure about swelly belly, but getting the pants buttoned is not working right now!!!!

The ones that do fasten are huge in the leg area, but at least they don't dig in.
I'm hoping that getting back on the treadmill will allow me to button again, but I am disappointed in my belly being so HUGE this far out (5 weeks).

I'm not so fond of looking pregnant, had enough of that while it was real!!!!!!

I was considering a tummy-tuck, DH is all for it. I wanted it done with the hysto., but the plastic surgeon wants me all healed from the hysto first. It's really pricey, and we don't have any extra $, but DH says we should finance it. I'm not sure that I want anymore surgery!!!!

Here's to all the fluffies-someone told me once that my soul was much too large to be in a small body.....

Oh-ponder this. When I used to teach aerobics, I always told my classes - and still say this-Have the chocolate or cake or desert. If something unfortunate were to happen to you tomorrow-God forbid-wouldn't you be glad that you enjoyed that treat instead of denying yourself the pleasure???

I say this knowing that 27 yrs ago today, my mom passed away very suddenly from a brain aneurism. I was only 16, but her wisdom in me lives on.....Make sure you have a treat today!!!!!

Love to all-you are ALL such a help!!!!

Marcia mom of 5 s and 3 kids
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:33 AM

Marcia--

I'm curious--what medication did they give you for insulin resistance? I didn't know there was one.

Valarie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register