Freaking-No cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking-No cervix Freaking-No cervix

Unread 01-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Evening!

OK, had my TAH on 1/7 after fighting the insurance company, it was finally approved-my doctor had to read what he sent to insurance doctor, he NEVER READ MY CASE REPORT!.

No real problems except for one nasty nurse who was only 4 months pregnant and didn't want to walk to the non-nursery side of the ward(duh, find another job for a while honey-MHO).

Doing well now, bit of pain and hot flashes. Appears my overies haven't woken up yet. Given prempro today.

Today was "post-op" visit #1, lost another 5 lbs, have a gap in my horizonal incision, about 1.5 inches over old scar tissue, due to 3 c-sections which were lateral.

So o.k. , we have to pack it for now for about 3 months or so (? anyone have to do it this long?) , estimate? Anyone have a hard time finding the packing tape, 4x4's and sterile swabs? We had to go to three surgical supply places...

Well, found out I had superficial adenomysis, instead of fibroids, chronic cervicitis and fibrovascular adhesions.

But then, also read in the pathology report, (after I left the doctor's office), that my cervix was removed! I was cool with everything else, but this has just hit me and hit me hard and I don't know why? I thought i would have overies and cervix after surgery... Why am I so crying over the missing of my cervix, it just doesn't make sense!

Anyone else been there? I thought the doc said he would leave my cervix and overies, whereas I only have overies. I should be blessing him, but I was not expecting him to take the cervix and don't really know why it is bothering me.

Second question: Is there a yearly test they can do for ovarian cancer? I have a strong run of cancer in my family.

Thank you,
Deblee7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Freaking-No cervix

S

A TAH means total abdominal hysterectomy. Total means the entire uterus, which includes the cervix. I see you were originally scheduled for a LAVH - with any vaginal hyst the cervix is removed.

I'm sorry you didn't realize before surgery your cervix was being removed.
Unread 01-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Hi Deblee,

That is strange your Dr. did not explain a TAH more throughly to you. Your profile says LAVH, so I assuming there was a surgery change since you mentioned TAH in your post.

A TAH removes the cervix with the uterus. Ovaries optional. There is an abominal surgery called a SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy) that does retain the cervix.

I could suggest you ask your Dr. all your questions. He may have had a medical reason in your file and felt cervix removal was a good choice for you. I know to be a candidate in my case to keep my cervix, it had to be sturdy and I had to have had normal pap smears for years.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Hi Deblee,

It sounds like you are experiencing quite an emotional time...that's not unusual for new !

In answer to a couple of your questions:

Many of us have had our cervix removed. For a lot of us, like me, it doesn't make a bit of difference in the world. I never enjoyed having it, so I don't miss it. Other women say the lack of a cervix prevents them from attaining the high level of sexual pleasure they once enjoyed. Try not to worry about it at this point, so early in your recovery.

At the present time, there is not a screening test for ovarian cancer. I requested one from my doctor, and his reply was, "There isn't a test. Ovarian cancer is diagnosed by clinical observations."

This early pre-op time is tough. You have been through a lot. Don't expect too much of yourself at this point. Try to rest and take care of yourself. Hopefully, your HRT will start to have an effect soon, and you will feel calmer. Please rest and take good care of yourself!

s
Unread 01-14-2005, 07:33 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Like the other sisters have said, there really is not a test for ovaries at this point. I had a complex ovarian mass.. i did have the ca125 tests to check markers. My Dr. said even if it came back negative it did not rule out cancer. the only posative way was surgery.
I too had a TAH with ovaries removed too. i was told that cervix would be romoved. He told be everything would be removed.
Sorry this was not explained, You need to concentrate on healing right now. I agree with Bizet, don't expect alot from your self right now
Unread 01-14-2005, 11:53 PM
Freaking-No cervix

I had the very same thing happen to me, sweetie...and yes, it was a COMPLETE shock!!...especially since hubby and I were "experimenting" very early on in my healing process.

I just thought...hmmm...I have my cervix still, so I won't have any vaginal stitches, right? *rubbing my hands together*...WRONG!!!

Thank GOD he barely penetrated me, and to be honest probably got nothing out of it but the point is...I could have SERIOUSLY injured myself!!!

As I result, I picked up a bacterial infection, spent a week on two VERY strong antibiotics and went through weeks of spotting/discharge.

So....to answer your question, YES I was upset!!!!

Look on the bright side..you no longer have your cervix, which means the chance of you getting even "mini periods" is gone. You don't have to have pap tests anymore, since you have no cervix and you only need to go for an internal every five years. This is what my doctor told me after the look on my face probably said.."tell her SOMEthing, or your life might be in jeopardy!!!" LOL

Relax, pamper yourself, and heal quickly. Oh, and one more thing...don't let ANYone tell you that orgasms are less than wonderful without a cervix. We have "officially" tested out the new "real estate" and it is WONderful!!!

*hugs*
Lori
Unread 01-15-2005, 02:38 AM
Freaking-No cervix

My cervix is gone also. Don't miss it a bit. Real estate is just as good here too!
Unread 01-15-2005, 08:18 AM
Freaking-No cervix

Phonix...our surgery dates were back to back. How are you mending? Other than extreme fatigue, at times...I think I'm doin' ok.

Lori
Unread 01-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Freaking-No cervix

Hi
When it was decided to have my operation my Dr told me I would have to have my uterus removed to stop my problems. When I went to the hospital to have my op I signed the admission papers ,which did have TAH written on it, but the nurse said this is the op you and your Dr spoke about. When I went for my 6 week check up the Dr said uterus and cervix were clear of any cancer cells...I said so you swabbed the cervix after the hyster? And he said No it was removed during surgery.

No, I wasn't attached (pun) to my cervix per say but it was very SHOCKING. I remember it was just so unreal that I really had no idea what had been done to my body up to that appt. It taught me to ask questions and not assume...........

Take Care and give your self permission to heal!
Just Susan

Unread 01-15-2005, 09:05 AM
Freaking-No cervix

Thanks to all who answered. I guess I am on an emotional roller coaster right now. I hardly slept at all last night. Did anyone else know that HGTV goes off the air at 3:00 a.m.?

I'm sure once these hormones kick in, I will be back to my normal self. Does anyone know how long it takes for the hormones to kick in? I misread the box, it it "Premarin" he gave me.

I love my doctor and we have been through a lot just trying to get the surgery scheduled and approved through the insurance company. I had it somewhere in the back of my mind that he was going to leave the cervix.

Yes, I was scheduled for LAH, but after three c-sections, he decided it was safer to do it adominally.

Thanks again,
Deblee7

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register