Freaking-No cervix - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaking-No cervix Freaking-No cervix

Unread 01-15-2005, 05:06 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Hi Serrenity,

Double check, There seems to be a differance of opinion from Dr. to Dr. Even with out a cervix my doctor said for the next TWO years I will need a PAP test, then yearly pelvic exams are still needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Freaking-No cervix

I didn't have any idea the doctor had taken my cervix either. I read in the literature that the type of surgery I had meant they took my cervix too. I thought "well that's wrong". So at my 1 week check up I asked her and she said, "No I took it, and sewed your vagina up. That's why you can't use it for six weeks." I was SHOCKED! So I can relate. Do I have an attachment to my cervix? Not really but it was mine and I lost it. Sometimes I wonder where all those organs are now.
Unread 01-15-2005, 05:36 PM
No cervix here, and things are fine

I am doing better without my cervix and happy to let it go. I had so much pain during intercourse and even with BMs...so no way I wanted to keep it.

The playtime is better now too, I can actually enjoy and be pain free.

The emotions are probably due to your shock and stage of recovery. I had the blues too, and they left and I was just fine later.

I still have to go once a year for an exam, and the insurance covers it, so I am ok with that. I still have to get the mamogram and Dr. exam for my breasts so no big deal for me.

I am so glad I was cancer free, and got rid of all the plumbing, I feel so much better. Don't worry, you will be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 06:17 PM
Freaking-No cervix

It is possible to get vaginal cancer, so pap smears are still recommended when the cervix is removed.
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Serinnity, I noticed that too! You are one day ahead of me. I have alot less energy now and I'm having a hard time sleeping some nights. Other than that I'm doing great! Glad to hear you are doing so well also.
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Freaking-No cervix

I had a LAVH on Nov 15th and was quite surprised when I found out that my cervix and tubes were taken along with my uterus and both ovaries. I guess I never bothered to asked. My doctor and I always just talked about the uterus and ovaries so I guess that is what I figured he would take. I have not resumed intercourse yet and really don't care to as it was so painful before that I cant imagine it will be any different. Do I miss my cervix? I am not sure. Maybe little beings I didnt know it was leaving or why it was being taken.
Unread 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Deblee-

did not read all of your responses, but losing your cervix is not what you think! Had a long chat with my doc and a cervix is like a fingernail - no feeling!! Does not alter your sex life and just keeps you from further probs. Your ovaries are the important part of "function". Really... Ovaries do a lot more - a cervix is a docs apt every year and that's it. Ovaries keep you healthy, keep you away from osteroperosis (sp?), early menopause and heart disease. Cervix is just icing on the cake. Hard when your told after...that I understand - I do not like surprises - but you are OK. The cervix will change nothing in your life! Rest easy... I've opted to have mine removed (has probs anyway), but will change nothing. My concern is my ovaries - hope they are OK. Those are the important "guys".

Rest easy - the op is stressfull enough. Keep healthy and strong.

Thoughts are with you...
Unread 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Freaking-No cervix

I understand your reaction because I not only was surprized by not having a cervix , I just thought I was having an ablation /and diagnostic LAP then when woke up to my hubby who told me doctor came out mid point and said LAVH needed but reassured me they kept ovaries and cervix. I totally grieved over my uterus then at 4 week check up found I had no cervix and was upset even more!

Now after some depression, anger , and normal stages of grieving ...I read online at mayo website that perfectly normal for women to associate the uterus /cervix to being a woman but hear to say that 8 weeks post op , I feel like myself again.

AS time goes on , hopefully, we can all look back and realize that we are more than our organs!

This is a journey whichever way you look at it and having the sisters here to share it with you will hopefully make it better!

Deb

-8 weeks post-op , LAVH, 45YR OLD, disabled from severe anemia due to fibroids bleeding excessively. My energy level is now starting to feel back to normal.
Unread 01-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Freaking-No cervix

Quote:
Originally posted by Peach1
Hi Serrenity,

Double check, There seems to be a differance of opinion from Dr. to Dr. Even with out a cervix my doctor said for the next TWO years I will need a PAP test, then yearly pelvic exams are still needed.
all I can go by, is what my doc says....and if he says every 5 years, then YAY lol

phonix - I'm hoping this fatigue passes, as I start back at the office on Wednesday. My secretary thought, in her infinite wisdom, that she'd book me for full days duty time....NOT!! she has since been corrected
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Freaking-No cervix

Serennity, Glad you straightened that out! Full time right now? It would kill me! At two weeks my mind was ready to go back to work. My body has an opinion of it's own. GOOD LUCK, I hope you enjoy being back at work. part time might feel real good! I am starting to go a little nuts here at home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register