Update from Jan.9th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update from Jan.9th Update from Jan.9th

Unread 01-15-2005, 05:53 AM
Update from Jan.9th

6-1/2 weeks and still having burning/pain when urinating and now..........rectal pressure and pain.

Cystoscopy by urologist was normal. (inside of bladder). He was not completely satisfied so ordered a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis. Bad news given to me by phone 2 hours after CT, by my primary physician who was phoned by radiologist. I have an unusually large amount of fluid in my abdomen and pelvic region and an abscess that is most likely infection. $^*&@$ Ugh!

I am soooo ticked at my GYN I could spit. He's been blwing me off for 6 weeks on this crap and now.........he is going to GET HIS - believe you me!

I was started on 500mg's of Leviquin antibiotics and will get an ultrasound done first thing Mon. morning just to confirm any problems w/ right ovary that was left after TAH. Then, they''ll have to "go in" generally or w/ lapriscope to drain abscess, etc.

(( I'll write again soon. Thanks for listening to this "hysterSister" fom Illinois!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 06:38 AM
Abdominal Infection

Sister:

I am so sorry to hear about your infection!!!!! Do you know if the infection is a pocket in your bladder or has it spread? Last year I had to have emergency surgery because of an abdominal infection that spread to my colon. Not trying to scare you, but it it SO important that you do exactly what you're being told. Definitely find another doctor if you need to...

I had my hysterectomy two (almost three now) weeks ago. I feel that same pressure. Yesterday my urine was a brown color. I called the doctor and he put me on an antibiotic. I hope this will do the trick. Please update me personally as to your progress, and good luck!

Donna
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Update from Jan.9th

I am so sorry to hear of what you are going through.

It is so hard when people (Dr's especially) don't 'hear' you.

Hopefully, this will all be resolved quickly.
Big 's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Update from Jan.9th

I have complained several times to my Doc. about exteral and urethra irritation and low grade fever. She finally had me go to a lab and do a UA. She called Friday and said there was so much bacteria in the sample that it was a bad sample and she couldn't tell if I had an infection or not. She asked for me to tell her my symptoms, I told her and she suggested that I drink lots of water and use yeast infection cream to help with the irritation. If I don't get better I am to call her on Tuesday. ( I now I don't have a yeast infection.) I have increased my fluid intake and tried the cream 2X. The cream make my urethra burn. I won't be doing that again anytime soon. I do fell like I am being blown off. If there was that much bacteria in my urine, where did it come from? Vagina? Urinary tract? I shower daily. I took a shower 2 hours before the test. What symptoms would make it important to get seen at the ER on the weekend? My insurance doesn't like you to go to the ER. I would appreciate any imput from ladies who have experienced this condition.
Thank you
Nancy
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Infections! UGH!

Nancy:

Have you seen a urologist? I think I would. I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. Take care of yourself! How long has it been since your hysterectomy?
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Update from Jan.9th

I will be 5 wks. post op. on Tuesday. I can't see a urologist without a referrel. She has said this pain could be part of the healing process. I was thinking about getting an over the counter UTI test and trying it. Maybe I would feel better to know. I don't know how reliable they are. Thank you for your imput.
Nancy
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:52 AM
please don't ignore....

First of all..........thank you to all of you who responded so caringly to my very first post.......Nancy, Blue Sky and Donna!!

Nancy..........PLEASE, PLEASE do not ignore this urination burning. It is NOT NORMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had TWO UA cultures done and both were negative. If you continue to have this burning, it may be excessive fluid, an abscess or SOMETHING that shouldn't be there. You'll never know unless you voice your concern. I was patient, passive/submissive towards the doctor......and now I have had enough! It has been almost 7 weeks since surgery and with the burning and now.....rectal pressure/pain......I am ticked off!

On a lighter side.......things ARE in motion now to get this taken care of. Regardless of the unusually large amount of fluid inside my abdolminal cavity and down into the rectum area.......the is "something" that is 6 cm in measurement there also and two radiologist are differing on the opinion as to whether it's an abscess or a cyst on my right ovary. (which was left IN for hormone reasons since it was healthy). ??

Keep writing, Nancy and everyone!
Brenda
Unread 01-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Update from Jan.9th

Thank you for your advice! I will call her on Tuesday. Let us know how the test goes. My Doc does make this sound as if this is part of the normal process of healing. If it is I would feel more reasured if she would atleast see me and take a look/tests.

Nancy
Unread 01-22-2005, 09:40 AM
surgery again...8 weeks post-hyster

Well......here we go. I'm having a lapiroscopy on Thursday to: 1) drain a subcapsule of post-operative fluid that is sitting on my bladder, 2) to drain a large 12 MM subcapsule of fluid that is running along my rectum and down around the sigmoid colon and 3) drain/remove a 7 sonameter ovarian cyst from the right ovary. (which was left for hormone purpsoes). Finally......she will remove the right ovary too.

*frown* Not thrilled but........very happy to find that there is a valid reason for my burning with urination and rectum pressure and pain. I gave my GYN ONE LAST chance to rectify this and help me and believe it or not.......he chose to take no action and said "Let's just wait a bit longer and see if it goes away." What a jerk. Next day saw a brand new, young, female GYN right out of med school and SHE IS NOW doing my surgery since she said the fluid collections are "walled-off" and will not just "go away on their own."

I oughta file suit for negligence against m old GYN. Grrrrrrrr! Lots of anger inside me as you can see.

Brenda
Unread 01-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Your procedure

Brenda:

You are in my prayers. Please write back and let me know what ends up happening and let me know about your healing progress.

So you have two abcesses? On the right ovary, I assume they are removing that laproscopically as well? What about the left ovary? Last year, when I abcessed around my sigmoid colon, I ended up having to have a colon resection but that was because I had diverticular disease (not related to the bladder). My left ovary was removed at the time as well, because of pre cancer that was found. Once one ovary was removed the other developed a large cyst which is originally why I had my hysterectomy last month. Also, my periods stopped. Watch for signs of perimenopause after the one ovary is removed.

Good luck and please update me!!!!

Donna
Many hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register