It's okay to have an easy recovery! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's okay to have an easy recovery! It's okay to have an easy recovery!

Unread 01-15-2005, 11:41 AM
It's okay to have an easy recovery!

Thanks to all who posted "good recovery" stories. I had a smooth recovery and returned to work 6 weeks post-TAH. I attended a teambuilding event 10-weeks postop and climbed up a pole to the "high ropes"--I opted to climb down the pole rather than be "belayed", thinking that it might not be smart even though I was feeling strong. Golfed a couple of days later, and felt really energetic.

I am very grateful for a good recovery... It gave me a chance to get off the hamster-wheel for 6 weeks and rest--without the anxiety of surgical complications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 02:10 PM

I too wanted to thank the original poster of this thread. I had my surgery on January 5, and had my first post op visit with my Doctor yesterday. He was really, really surprised at "how good I looked, and how I walked upright so well"!
I am off the pain meds, even ibuprofen. I am very surprised, because I expected a long recovery, and feeling not well for a long time. I usually do not recover from surgery very well.

On monday the tenth, I was back to work. I have a daycare, and watch four children, plus my five year old. My husband stayed home all week, so he could do the lifting of the kids, and to be honest, it drove me nuts not being allowed to do anything. I am cleared to lift the kiddos, two- two year olds and a 15 pound chub of a three month old.

The next thing is to be able to drive, that is what I am really wanting. I prefer to drive, over my husband, but so far he has had to be my driver.

I go back in two weeks to have a vaginal exam, and hopefully will be healed enough to be able to fool around with my hubby.

I had a LAVH, ovaries removed, and tons of scar tissue removed as well!

I have to say, and I am not gloating, I feel pretty darn good. I never thought I would feel good, ever. It is such a nice change from the past 15 years of increasing misery each month brought!

Here's hoping everyone feels good!

Robyn
Unread 01-15-2005, 05:21 PM

I too have had an 'easy' recovery, in that I have experienced no complications. Was off all pain meds by week 3. Of course easy recovery doesnt mean I didnt experience pain and discomfort, swelly belly and tiredness.

I attribute my straightforward recovery to many things, one being the information found here. The info on what I should and shouldnt do was so valuable, much more detailed than my post op instructions. I really did do absolutley nothing for 6 weeks...returned to work at 7 weeks, and although tired was able to manage a full week with only leaving early a few times.

I am still being careful, havent returned to the gym or my regular walking, but am gradually increasing my activity.

There were some things that I was 'naughty' about, that I shouldn't have been doing, but like others have said I am the one who knows my body better than anyone and even though a big post op no no, i knew i was okay.....and experience no complications or adversity.....

We simply have to listen to our doctors and our bodies and do what is right for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 05:39 PM

Well this is day 9 and I feel good. I have NEVER had any bleeding and this morning I had a slight pale pinkish discharge. I called the dr and they said as long as it wasn't bright red I was okay. He said it was more than likely the dissolving stitches inside are starting to dissolve.
I have a dr appt for the first time on my 2 week post-op so he said he would do a quick peak then. OUCH????

Anyway, I don't think its boasting to say how well we are doing. Personally, I am very proud of my body for hanging in there and doing me proud
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:07 PM

I am very physically fit, swim 1 mile 4 days a week and jog 3 mles 2 days a week, and my doctor predicted before my surgery I would have an easy recovery. I even posted asking if it were possible to have as easy recovery as he said because from what I was reading it didn't seem likely. Well it can and does happen. I had SAH on 11-22, I followed the doctors orders and didn't overdo and only did things as he said I could. I was walking around the block at 3 days, driving at 2 weeks, wearing my normal clothes at 2 weeks, back at work at 3 weeks, back in the pool at 4 weeks, fully cleared at 6 weeks. On Monday I will be 8 weeks post op and feel so good I can't believe I just had a major surgery.

I have 2 sons (16 & 20) and I thought it would be best to tell them that not all recoveries go so well and if after they are married and one of their wifes has to go through this it can take longer and to not base all recoveries on mine.

Cindy
Unread 01-15-2005, 06:34 PM

My recovery was easy too. I was chomping at the bit to do more the whole time I was home. I went for a 15 or 20 mile bike ride at 12 days. That made my doc very angry, so I backed off and took it easy, taking miles long walks each day and enjoying the time off from work. Of course I never did any housework. Wouldn't want to overdo it.

Oddly in some ways I have found the "post recovery" harder than the 6 weeks I stayed home. During those 6 weeks it's not a big surprise when you hurt or face limitations. But after the 6 weeks is up I find I expect there to be no pain or limits at all. Sure I can still climb mountains and ride my bike 9 miles to work and push a vacuum around the house, but I still can feel that I had a major surgery.
Unread 01-15-2005, 07:35 PM
thank goodness

I am so glad I read this post. I thought maybe I was not quite "right" after reading all the problems that people had. Had a TAH on 12/1/04 was home by 12/3, staples out on 12/7, back to work in 13 days. Now, 6 weeks later, I feel like I am 10 years younger. I have more energy now that I have had in so long. I gave blood today and for the first time, my iron was high enough that they didn't have to check a hemocrit.

Everytime I talk to someone, they tell me all these horror stories and that I am going to have problems later because I am pushing myself, etc. I was really worried I was doing something wrong because I feel great. It is comforting to know that other people feel good also.

I can certainly empathize with those who had a rougher time, it was what I expected. I don't know why I was blessed with an easy recovery, but I'll take it. Thanks ladies, you've made me feel that I don't have to make excuses for recovering so quickly.
Unread 01-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Feeling better doesn't mean that you're all healed internally. That's the point that we keep trying to make: there is internal healing that has to happen. Because it is internal no one can see it, not even your Dr when s/he does an internal exam. S/he may be able to tell if the vaginal cuff is healed but there are guidelines for a reason - what has been found to be the optimal time to allow for healing of the newly cut and resutured ligaments that hold up the pelvic floor.

That's the point of "you only have one chance to heal properly". What can happen if those ligaments don't have the chance to heal up nice and tight in their new location? Bladder incontinence, hernias, and adhesions are the three that come to mind right off.

I was one of those who had a textbook recovery - other than being pretty tired for the first couple of weeks I didn't have any problems at all. Despite feeling cooped up and restless, I listened to what I was told and forced myself not to rush back to "real" life. I am 2 years and 11 1/2 months post op. I haven't had one problem since. I don't know if I could say the same thing if I had rushed through recovery, maybe if I had done too much too soon I would have had a bowel resection last year like my sister did - adhesions from her hyst a few years ago.

Something to think about, please.
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:14 PM

I wanted to point out that even though I am feeling "well", I realize I had major surgery. I am not doing everything I used to do, in fact I do not plan to, for a while.

I just find it so odd, that I do in fact feel good. I had a laparoscopy in October, and I have to say I felt ten times worse with that.

Because I am feeling so well, people are now starting to "forget" that I had a major surgery not even two weeks ago. My mother who had this exact same thing done almost two years ago, seems to think my recovery time is over, that I should just be tired, and that vitamins will cure that. That and the annoying, "you better make sure the doctor puts you on hormones, because if you don't have them, your body will really change, and not for the better.", yes she has told me that. That has to be one of the most annoying things about this. Because I feel good, people forget.

I mean what do you tell those who see that you feel good for the first time in years, and they assume that you are good as new, back to normal? Double edged sword. I certainly do not want to be in agony, or have complications, but, at the same time, I feel like if I don't have those symptoms, people think I should just get over it.

Know what I mean?

Robyn
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:16 PM
So far so good

I had my TVH on 1/10 (last monday). I didn't go into the OR until about 3:30 PM. The first evening I felt pain, and was given morphine. I was able to pee without a catheter, even though it hurt a little. The next morning I started taking some Ibuprofen and percoset, and stopped the morphine. I still had a very sensitive bladder and gas pains. I was released that day at about 4 PM (after only one night in the hospital). I've been taking Gas-X and acidophillus, and the gas pains have all but subsided. I'm finding that my pain is now easily managed with Ibuprofen alone. For the past three days, I've been taking two slow/easy walks each day, about a mile each. My doctor said I would know if I was doing too much too soon. Today we had freezing rain and icy sidewalks, so I didn't get out. I do get tired much more easily than normal, I need to take naps in the afternoon, I still sometimes have gas pains, my bladder is a little a little sensitive, and occassionally I have a strange "twinge" in my pelvic area, but it's nothing very painful. Just reminds me to take it easy. Overall, I think I'm recovering a lot more quickly than I thought I would. I feel pretty good I especially feel better in the mornings. By evening, I'm pretty tired and sometimes feeling mildly crampy/achy in my pelvic and low back area. I usually forget to keep myself dosed with Ibuprofen during the middle of the day, but I feel much better in the evening if I remembered to take some mid-day. I've had no bleeding at all since the surgery, just a tiny bit of pinkish discharge on my pantylines. I really have been spending most of my time resting, reading, emailing, talking on the phone. My husband has been an angel... cooking, cleaning, making me tea and taking care of the kids.

There are so many variables that effect how long and how easily you will recover. To my sisters who are having a difficult time, my heart goes out to you. To my sisters who are still anxiously waiting for surgery, I hope that things go easily for you.

Best wishes to all for a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register