It's okay to have an easy recovery! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's okay to have an easy recovery! It's okay to have an easy recovery!

Unread 01-15-2005, 09:21 PM
It's okay to have an easy recovery!

I'd like to thank the original poster of this thread for opening the door and letting some fresh air and, most importantly, sunlight in. It's just as important to share the good outcomes. None of us are bragging, it's simply just wanting to share some good news and exchanging hard earned information, insight, and possibly calm some fears.

Just about everything in my life is better since having this surgery. Wish I would have done it years ago.

I look back at my recovery time as milestones. At each one I had to make the decision if I could do more or if I needed to back off on others.

It would be nice to keep a thread going that could remain positive. Many women are looking high and low all over the internet to find any kind of encouragement and stories of good outcomes.

Before my surgery I actually used keywords like "positive hysterectomy stories" to search the internet and couldn't find anything. I finally had to stop coming to this site because it was scaring me to the point of thinking of not having my much needed surgery.

Ladies - Keep posting about your great recoveries!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 09:38 PM

I felt great during my hospital stay and was out of the bed the next morning ...my complications were having to come home with a catheter attached to me, recovering still from iron deficient anemia which had drained the life out of me as well as a house full of men that had were scared to deal with this all!!

my 17 yr old son asked me to please not come to the dinner table with that "thing " (my catheter) which i then hid it in a tote bag and carried it around the house with me. Other than that , i tried to do laundry the 7th day out and started bleeding so I called my Dr ofc and RN/s told me to get off my feet and rest which is a hard thing for me to do.

Finding the hyster sisters website and ordering the guide book has been the best support for me. I have already passed on this site and book to my doctor's office...

Thanks for all the insight and support , I'm 8 weeks post-op , and have resumed my role as wife and mother fully as well as phasing back out into the field as sales rep starting Jan.17th. I will post later on the experiences of getting back into the rat race once again. I loved the time home recovering!!!

deb
Unread 01-15-2005, 09:51 PM

Dear sisters,

I agree there needs to be a balance to what is shared about hysterectomies. Reading all this I was remembering how I felt before my surgery. I was very careful what I read because some of it frightened me.
When preparing for any kind of surgery we have to be realistic without being negative. My recovery hasn't been one of the quick ones, but I don't think it was bad. Non of us have any guarantees how it will go for us so we need to be prepared for the possibility of some difficulties along the way to feeling better.
I also think we tend to hear from those who are having problems a lot more because they are needing support and the ones who feel good are getting on with their lives.
I just want everyone to remember that just because you feel good doesn't mean you are all healed. We all need to let our bodies heal, whatever that rate may be.
Just want to mention for those who are getting the shove by family members to jump in to life before you are ready, you need to be up front with them about what your drs' orders are and stand firm. Don't let yourselves be pushed into things. I know it is frustrating, but do what you know is best for you.
It is good to hear all your positive stories.

s, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 12:08 AM

Even though it is super important to post the unusually good recoveries (I envy you all!), it was the other stories that helped....not hindered.... me. Culturally, and especially before Hystersisters, women just did not discuss this surgery much. I am a nurse, and even my coworkers over the years made it seem like a hyster was a piece of cake, so to speak! They never mentioned all the setbacks of a typical recovery they'd had.

Had I not been prepared for the worst (Yes...I was smart enough to know that not everyone experiences the worst.) by reading posts here, I would have been devastated that I was not running about, like before, 2 weeks after my TAH.

Before I decide to do anything, I always am prepared to accept the worst scene scenario................and, if it's any better than that (Which it usually is....), I am one happy woman. Never disappointed!

I had a typical recovery...........envious of those like you, and feeling blessed that I escaped complications experienced by others. However, I must say......................EVEN IF I'd felt as good as you ladies, so soon..........I would have still erred on the side of caution, as some of you have, just to be sure, yet enjoying the complete lack of discomfort as I pampered myself.

After all..........I have still yet to see a prize given to anyone that mounts a horse or motorcycle, returns to work, or jumps on trampolines before 6 weeks. OUCHIE! Pamper yourselves, ladies. YOU ARE WORTH IT.
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:44 AM

Even the slightest insinuation that sisters are somehow seeking a "prize" for mounting a horse, jumping on a trampoline, or returning to work earlier than the "average" sister is a direct insult to our intelligence and character. Sisters with longer than normal recovery times receive support, advice and consultation. Do you think that sisters with quicker than normal recovery times are seeking anything but the same?
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:03 AM
SORRY

Am very, very sorry.....My sometimes warped sense of humor does sound sarcastic when I go back and read my post. Did not intend to insult.

I DO feel supportive of those with easy recoveries, and AM glad to see you take the time to post here. I guess I just did not truly understand why someone would even want to try to do those types of extreme activities (The kind that can cause damage if an accident happens....like falling off the trampoline...which CAN happen, especially if there is more than one person on the device at a time.), before the 6 week mark, knowing that internal sutured areas (beyond the cuff) take longer than that to heal.

I feel supportive, I guess, when I caution. Just do not want anyone to get hurt. I work in a profession where I see the disastrous results of these kind of things on a weekly basis.

Am aware you know that there is not a prize waiting..............am sorry that I offended.
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:09 AM

While I would have liked to had 6 weeks of recovery time, the fact remains, I can't. Since I work from home, I really have no other choice.

I may have started back to work, but, I have not done one thing extra around the house. I have not vacuumed, done dishes, laundry, etc. My husband has been wonderful in picking up those responsibilities. And if you knew me, you would know that handing over all that work drives me cookoo.

Before I even consented to this surgery, I specifically asked my doctor about lifting a two year old who weighs in the neighborhood of 30 pounds. He said a week was all I would need, if I had LAVH. I couldn't figure out how this would be, but, I have to say he was right.
And when I say lift, I mean from the floor to a chair, or into bed, and for the most part I do not lift her, but am comfortable to know that if I have to, I can.

Maybe I am doing too much, but since I am employed by myself, I can't really afford to go without work for 6 weeks. So I am doing the best I can for me.

I would never expect anyone else who has had a hysterectomy, to be like me. I didn't even think I would be where I am right now, I expected the absolute worst case scenario. I have been lucky, and not had that expectation come to life.

I do not want to sound like someone who is tooting her own horn, or bragging. So forgive me, if that is how I come across, as that is not my intention.

Robyn
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:14 AM

Even though it was necessary for you to return to work, RVP, sounds like you are still being careful with yourself. Being able to get safely back into your life sooner is a wonderful thing!
Unread 01-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Sorry, but

if you had a vertical incision with 28 staples, believe me, you wouldnt be lifting 30 pounds of anything unless you wanted to tear all your internal stitches. I wasnt cleared to lift anything above 10 pounds for a month. I also at the time of my hyst had a one and a three year old. I dont think that there is an average for recovery. We all recover at different rates. This is not a competition, and for the most part I dont think most of the ladies here think it is. also, there is a huge difference between having an abdominal hyst and a vaginal hyst. I've seen many of both while working as a nurse. carol
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:22 AM

I had a c-section when I had my son, and I remember how miserable it was recovering from that. I can only imagine how hard it was to recover from a hysterectomy like what you had.

As I said before, my post was not meant to irritate people, or sound like I was bragging. This is just my current situation.

I know there are huge differences between the many kinds of hysterectomies, just as there are different rates of recovery. I do not think it is a compitition on who healed when, how, etc.

This thread just called out to me. I thought maybe I was crazy, because I have not had any issues, yet. I was so sure I would have complications.

You never know what tomorrow will bring, I may end up having issues. I don't want them, but am fully prepared for it to happen.

I am trying to take things as slow as I can. Not everyone has the option of 6 weeks of uninterupted recovery time, though I wish everyone did. Shoot, I didn't even get to spend the night in the hospital. It was basically out-patient surgery(which I just can't fathom why, but oh well).

Do I want to work this soon after? Not particularly. I just really have no other choice, and I am just trying to make the best of a situation that could be much worse.

I would never recommend someone going back to work after hysterectomy as soon as I did, never. My advice would be to recover as much as possible, before returning to work. And to not listen to others who think they are superwoman and have fully recovered at ten days out.

Robyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register