Feeling Awful | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Feeling Awful Feeling Awful

Unread 01-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Feeling Awful

Hi Everyone,
It's been a while since I emailed due to a busy few months with my husband's medical problems, but I have a question that I hope someone can shed some light on. It is coming up on one year since my total hysterectomy (Feb.4,'04)and I feel absolutely AWFUL! I never have any energy, I have so many aches and pains that I almost want to cry. I also don't sleep very well most of the time. My legs ache as if I have been walking or standing all day (have a sit down office job so it's not from my job). In general, I just ache all over and feel stiff and sore all over. I wake up feeling as if a truck hit me. I am on an estrogen patch, "Climara", and have been for about 6 months. I think it helps somewhat but at this point am not really sure. I've tried to go without it sometimes for a few days (when my week was up) and then I feel even worse and my sleep is disturbed even more so I guess I really need it. I go back to my gyn for a general yearly checkup in about a month and, of course, will give him my long list of complaints but I wonder if anyone else feels this way? If it wasn't for having a huge fibroid that needed to come out, I never would have had a hysterectomy. I'm glad I don't have the terrible periods and anemia, but I just feel so lousy most of the time. I feel like I'm about 90 years old. The disruption in my hormones and the resulting "surgical menopause" leave me so physically drained I want to scream! I try to exercise but when I do, I become even more exhausted the next day that it takes days to recuperate (I don't overdo the exercise and try to pace myself). It's kinda like a Catch-22. Exercise would help, but then it leaves me even more tired. Any information on why I feel so tired, achy, drained, and in general just plain lousy would be helpful. I often wonder if there isn't some Thyroid thing going on too? In addition to the achy feeling and stiff, soreness, I often feel like I have the chills(not really cold though) or maybe I should describe it as a quivery kind of feeling (hard to describe) but then I alternate between feeling this and then feeling hot and flushed. Hope I'm explaining this correctly. Thank you for listening.
Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 11:58 AM
Feeling Awful

HI Bonnie

I'm sorry you are not feeling that well lately.

It was almost the one year anniversary for me also that I really started noticing some changes taking place. I was wondering if you have explored the option of adding in progesterone and/or testosterone to your climara patch?

I was having alot of the same symptoms you have had and the progesterone helped my achy joints and my sleep definently improved. The testosterone helped me with my energy level. If you do decide to talk to your doctor about trying one or both of these, it is a good idea to start one at a time so you will know if they are helping to improve your symptoms.

Here is a list of symptoms that you might experience if you are low in a certain hormone. Too Much/Too Little and you can find some more information on how adding in these 2 hormones might help here at Hormone article list

It is quite possible that you may be having some problems with your thyroid. I have read that It is not uncommon for this to happen in some women after a hysterectomy. Your doctor could take a blood test to see how your thyroid is working.

I sure hope you start feeling better soon!
Unread 01-15-2005, 12:47 PM
Sorry you feel so bad.

I am sorry you feel so bad, I know how you feel. I been off HRT for a few months, I did't know it was possible to feel so bad. I don't know if this will help you, but I developed Hypothyroidism due to Hoshimottos a few years after my TAH/SPO (1996). I am not on any medication at this time due to surcumstances beyond my control, I can't afford them. Please check with your doctor, all you need is a blood test to check. Best of luck to you.

If anyone is having trouble when they quit HRT such as the worst night sweats, trouble sleeping, weight gain, and hot flashes. Please let me know how you fixed it.

Thanks,

kj1996
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 01:03 AM
Feeling Awful

Hi!
I was feeling like you, and I added progesterone cream from here. My dad has no thyroid function now, as do a few of his siblings, and I am showing signs of going the same way.
My doc suggested I try kelp, so I have been taking that.
I have found that the kelp and prog. cream stop all the aches and pains, and I sleep better for most of the time, and am not quite as tired as I was.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register