Post-op diet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-15-2005, 11:37 PM
Post-op diet

Hi girls! I was just wondering, from those who have "been there done that", if there are any tips on things to eat or not to eat afterward re:constipation/gas? Do I need to stick with liqudy/bland food for a while? I am trying to prepare my kitchen for the people who will be helping me during the initial stages of my recovery.
Thanks and God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Post-op diet

Hi Krissyrose!
I don't really know that there were foods that caused me to have gas or constipation...it was the pain meds that did that I think! What I felt like eating at first were the more bland foods, try to get frutis and veggies in every day (I really didn't want them that much at first). I stocked up with chicken soup, yogurt, cottage cheese, sugar free jello, 7-up, eggs, oatmeal, toast.

I came home on Christmas Eve Day, but we just had breakfast on Christmas Day, so eggs and toast were good for me!

You may find that you really want some foods and not others. Be prepared to be flexible with your tastebuds.

Good Luck,
Virginia
Unread 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Post-op diet

thanks for answering. I plan to ask my doc too, just wanted others opinions.

good night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Post-op diet

Hi Krissyrose-
I found that eating 2 apples a day. One mid morning and the other mid afternoon. (peeled) work so much better than any stool softner stuff. I am still doing it - it kinda detox our system too.
It worked for me- and apples are good for you. Good luck
Unread 01-16-2005, 02:09 AM
Post-op diet

Food hasn't really tasted the same since my surgery, I think it does something to the taste buds. During my recovery time at home after the 1st week I was bored and so each day I would make a batch of Christmas cookie dough to put in the freezer. Finally it was baking day and I got out all the dough and baked 9 different kinds of cookies. I sampled each one as they came out of the oven and all 9 different cookies (some with chocolate or cherry or mint or ???) tasted the same and tasted like they were made with stale flour. I asked DH and sons to sample and they said they tasted great. I guess it's a good thing they tasted bad to me otherwise I might have had a feast. Even as I gave them to all my co-workers as gifts I kept wondering how they really tasted!!

Just be sure and drink lots and lots of water. There is just something about water that makes everything better!
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:57 AM
Post-op diet

Virginia's list of foods is really good. I also made big pots of chicken soup, using chicken broth, zucchini, summer squash, peas, carrots, corn, canned chicken, and spaghetti noodles. It was so yummy and light, and it lasted for days. I also ate bran cereals, low-cal jello/cool whip/yogurt salads, and drank lots of low-cal juices. I just love my low-cal pumpkin pudding with cool whip, a good source of Vit A. You should check out the recipe section on this website. Yum!
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Diet after Hysterectomy

Regarding what to eat after Hysterectomy, I wish I would have been told by my doctor or someone to be very careful what you eat after surgery so the your stools will stay soft. I now eat bran cereal for breakfast drink lots of water and juice. Every night I drink prune juice. I try to eat at least 5 fruits of veggies a day. After my surgery I ate anything, and I paid the price. It is worth
taking it easy on food for a while. I know it's easy to think I am done with surgery and to eat, but diet is part of recovery I feel.
Good luck!
Unread 01-16-2005, 11:59 AM
Post-op diet

someone put 7 up on the list. I would avoid soda pop for at least the first two weeks as that creates gas. I ate whatever I wanted that first week. I even had a sausage dog at cost co that first week. I avoided the obvious like spaghetti, tacos etc. It is good to stay on top of it with fruit avoid bananas as they are constipating. But the fiber is good. Take the stool softeners and take gas x if you need it. You will do fine stocking up on jello, pudding, mild soups, cottage cheese and juices are great. I still drink cran rasp juice daily as that is good for urinary tract.
One thing I oberved about myself this is sort of off topic as I cannot handle high volumes of sugar anymore.
you take care and let us know how it goes. I miss coming here as I am now a super busy woman school and working. But I thought today I am still iced in so I thought I would check in on my sisters.
teresa
Unread 01-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Post-op diet

Before I went in for the operation, I stocked up on canned soup, frozen veggies, and breakfast/granola bars that had some nutrition in them (too many are just glorified candy bars). In other words, food that was nonperishable, easy to fix, and good for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register