post op supra cervical hysterectomy and vaginal bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

post op supra cervical hysterectomy and vaginal bleeding post op supra cervical hysterectomy and vaginal bleeding

Unread 01-16-2005, 01:41 PM
post op supra cervical hysterectomy and vaginal bleeding

hi
i am week 4 post op from a supra cervical hysterectomy and removal of right ovary and cyst. what surprised me the other day was i started bleeding vaginally! at first it was kind of like spotting, but two days later it was like a period! i even passed a number of clots. i spoke with my surgeon when i started the spotting and he said that because i still have one ovary and a cervix sometimes you can get spotting or a 'mini-period'. i had not heard of this before. anyways...two days later when i really started to bleed i saw my GP as my surgeon was not in. he told me that after surgery your pelvic organs become swollen (yes i knew that!) and eventually return to normal. once that happens as it seems is now for me...sometimes you can get 'old blood or clots' or a build up of blood from having surgery that needs to come out but wasnt able to before due to the swelling. he said that i will NOT have a period, although like the surgeon said MAYBE get some spotting. i wonder if my drain was removed too soon, as when it was removed i was still draining a lot of blood. anyways it was good to find out this is normal, but i still am wondering if any one else experienced or is experiencing this bleeding a month or so post op. thanks!
kari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 01:48 PM

Hi Kari,

I also had a supracervical hyst. I had post-op spotting for about 10 days and then it stopped. I have seen some supracervical ladies post that they did not have any immediate spotting right after surgery and then started spotting at 10 days to 3 weeks. From what I understand, spotting up to 6 weeks can be normal.

I had my cervix cauterized during surgery to prevent a mini-period. A small percentage of ladies still get a mini-period with cauterization.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 01-16-2005, 03:32 PM

Kari,

I began to experience bleeding on post-op day 17. I did not expect this and had no drainage, bleeding, or spotting since my surgery. I had LSH and kept my ovaries and cervix. I have experienced no pain or cramping with bleeding.

Glad to hear that somone has had the same experience. There is relief in knowing you are not alone.

Best wishes,

tracey17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 05:29 PM

Hi. I had the same surgery as you. I did not have the ovaries removed. My Dr did explain that I could still have a small amount of bleeding each month, I guess the mini period. I had minimal bleeding right after, and have had none since about 4 days post op. I can imagine it must have been a bit of a shock. Good thing that you went in and had it checked by the Dr. Take care.
Unread 01-20-2005, 02:40 PM
Same issue...went to Dr. today

I has a LSH in September of 2003 and never thought I would be on this board again.

I went to another dr. for a 2nd opinion today. I've been bleeding every 28 days for 7-8 days at a time. Bright red and clotty. How is that possible with no uterus I ask?

After an attempted V sonogram I found out that I have endometrial erosion on my cervical stump and possibly on my ovaries. We couldn't get to the ovaries b/c I was in excruiating pain.

I called the GYN that did the surgery every month for the past 18 months. They told me "its part of the healing process" to bleed. Well, I know bright red is new. When the dr. touched the cervix with a q-tip it immediately started to bleed. He put silver nitrate on it to help it stop bleeding. That did work but hurt like the dickens.

So, now I have a very very sore throbbing inside my vagina...and I'm waiting on a call from the hospital to schedule more surgery to have the cervical stump and ovaries removed.

The original dr. diagnosed severe endometriosis and adnomyosis. The new dr. said his "lack of attention to detail" is why I'm having another surgery!

So, I'm 30 and have had a hysterectomy and bi-lateral berast removal all within 6 months...and 6 months later, more surgery b/c the first guy fouled up.

Bleeding is NOT normal I don't care what anyone says. I finally switched doctor's and on my first visit I'm having urgent surgery.

Ask your doctor about it...it's not normal

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register