Anyone more tired at five weeks than they were earlier in recovery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone more tired at five weeks than they were earlier in recovery? Anyone more tired at five weeks than they were earlier in recovery?

Unread 01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Anyone more tired at five weeks than they were earlier in recovery?

Hi,

I had my surgery on December 10th, and I was surprised that I wasn't more exhausted during the first few weeks at home following surgery. I would get up around 7:30 a.m., those first weeks, and then lay down again from about 11:00 or 12:00 to 1-2 p.m., and then get up again and I was fine for the rest of the day/evening.

But, now, in my fifth week, and also around the fourth week, I noticed that I seemed to be more tired than I'd been early on. For example, today, I got up after 10:00 a.m., but then was tired and had to lay back down (could barely stay awake) around 1:30 p.m. Also, I seem to have my days and nights sort of out of whack; sleeping late, napping, and then not sleepy again until midnight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

I have to return to work next Monday, 24 January, so I want to try to get this "fixed" before then :-).

Thanks!

Nana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 08:54 PM

Yes, I felt that. In fact, the day I went for my six-week checkup (I drove myself one hour to the doctor -- was feeling fine for that, or so I thought), I fell asleep right in the waiting room for 45 minutes. Doc was out taking care of some emergency.... I literally turned sideways on my waiting-room chair, put my head down, and I was *out* !! Woke with a start (drool running down my chin of course -- must have been quite the sight ) and the nurse said, "Don't worry -- he's over with an emergency and I didn't want to wake you."

One of the body's ways of healing itself is to rest. So I learned to embrace those times and just allow myself to relax and sleep when necessary.

Hope this helps! You're not alone.
Unread 01-16-2005, 08:58 PM

Starfire,

Yup... you just wrote my story. LOL. I had my surgery 12/13 and I feel about the same way. I really thought maybe I was just being lazy, but I really am exhausted. My days and nights seem to be flip flopped. My DH keeps looking at me like I am an alien, as I was so up and awake most of the time a week out of surgery, and now I am wiped out at 5 weeks. I mean, I basically feel good, I am just SO tired.

Sad thing is, the best nights sleep I have had since I have had the surgery was the 3 nights I had to take Nyquil so I could breath and stop coughing with my cold. I slept like a baby those nights. (even considered taking a slug of the stuff tonight to get some rest.... JK... I am sipping my Ovaltine as I type).

I am not sure when I will start working again. I stopped in and attended a meeting at work last week (big mistake) and I told them all I was going to call the doctor and see if I could come back part time next week... but ya know... I don't think I am ready. I am just wiped out.

Wonder how long it will be for this to pass. I felt before like I was getting better, then bam.... I am tired again. Wonder if it is anemia again?? Hummmmm.

Lets see what the Sisters have to say. But I agree... I am tired. We are in the same boat. At least we are not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-16-2005, 09:01 PM

Had my surgery the same day. and some of this bugs me too. I quit napping after the second week 'cause I didn't want to make that a hbit I would have trouble breaking, but sure enough this week, with the shadow of returning to work right on the horizon, I started wanting to nod off mid afternoon. Really though I think I can account it to 2 or 3 things. #1 I have started doing more this week in prep for going back into the real world and that has worn me out. #2 I've been cooped up for a month and I'm bored with being home. #3 My sleep patterns are all out of whack, I think maybe my body is trying to fix that but its not doing so good. I know I still feel better than I did a week or 2 ago so I'm not too worried. I do wish I could lay down at night and get a straight 8 and be up with the birds but I guess that'll come back some day , i figure after I go back to work! I have my 6 week Thursday and I'm going to mention poor sleep to the Dr but I don't really expect he'll say much.
Unread 01-16-2005, 10:44 PM

I have felt the same things. I finally stopped taking naps so I could go to sleep at night. I hadn't had trouble sleeping, just wasn't sleepy yet.

I'm also having more hip and back aches, but attribute it to getting back to the gym. Taking it very slow, but know it's necessary (1) for overall health, and (2) it helps keep depression at bay.

Someday we'll all be running around with more energy than we know what to do with.....hopefully.
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:40 PM

My surgery was the same day as yours and I notice I get tired out by the afternoon. I think it is because I am doing more around the house and getting out more. Before, I was resting more, reading or watching a movie.

I hate it because if I don't rest during the day at all, I end up falling asleep really early and then wake up around 5 AM wide awake.

I'm supposed to return to work the 24th too, so I hope I am not too tired by the time I'm home. After 6wk checkup, I should have the go ahead for Hubby, if ya know what I mean, so hope I have some energy left! LOL

Sue
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:14 PM

Hi. I am going into my sixth week. I too have the same feelings about being tired. I think that it is that we are starting to do more and get back into the real world. I am also having sleep issues. I went to my Family Dr on Friday and he gave me some pills to help me sleep. I have not taken them yet. Yes, I know I am crazy. I don't like taking pills. I know that I have been doing way too much lately. The last two nites I have been very sore. Guess we need to listen to our bodies. Take care. Lets enjoy the naps while we can.
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:43 PM
"Hit the wall"

My surgery was the same day also. I felt pretty good to start. It seems that when you start trying to get back to your normal activity level you body needs time to adjust. I start back to week last week 3 days half time. At about 4-6 pm I seem to "hit the wall". I feel tired, weak, can't think straight and need to just sit and relax. I know if I took a nap then I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I also am waking several times a night. 5 am is really early on the work days. I also think I have a UTI. I am going to try Tylenol PM tonight and go to bed early. I try to remain positive and think to the future of no periods, pain and Anemia.
Nancy

LSH unexpected adhesion repairs. Kept Ovaries and Cervix.
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:56 PM

Hi, I know what you mean about the fatigue. I am @ 5 weeks. Last week I was soooooo tired, had no energy. I just rested and took it easy. I feel better today, but wonder if it will last or will I be exhasuted tomarrow. My advice is listen to your body. Do not do too much too soon. Blessings, Meri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register