anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please! anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please!

Unread 01-17-2005, 02:40 AM
anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please!

Hey ladies

I have had a long hard time getting "balanced" since my tah/bso on 4/3/03 but I was put on vivelle dot and estrasorb 12/14/04 and to my surprise am doing much better. Feeling alive again. I am on zoloft 50 mg, and was on prozac for quite a few years due to pre menopause symptoms. Zoloft is very expensive and I probably won't have health ins much longer. I would like to wean myself off if I can. Of course if I feel I still have to have it I will try to continue taking it. I have searched the net a little bit and see some really bad stories about withdrawal. It really makes me want this stuff out of my body. Has anybody been able to get off the stuff. Please reply. I have been skipping my zoloft every other day or so and I am not sleeping well at all. I am only able to take naps lately.

Thanks buffie (Vicky)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 07:54 AM
zoloft

hi! i too have been on zoloft. i found it worked good fro my depression and anxiety. but you should not be skipping it. that is probulary why you are not sleeping. i did not have a hard time coming off of these pills , but everyone is diffrent. speak to your doctor first before you go off, you should never go off by your self.these pills can be hard to go off, but i never had any. syptoms. please let me know how you are doing.
Unread 01-17-2005, 08:53 AM

I was only on it for a month, and tried to taper off in four days. That resulted in night sweats and moodiness for two weeks. Maybe tapering off over a period of two weeks would be a better way to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 09:53 AM

I'm certainly no doctor, but I think you'd do better to lower your dosage than to skip every other one. Perhaps cut the pills in half? But I'd really suggest that you call your doctor and express your concerns. Going off antidepressants can be tricky. Long, slow, tapering off is the way to go, as I understand it. I think they do a week or two at each lowered dosage before lowering again. But again, I'm no doctor ...

Hugs and good luck!!!
Unread 01-17-2005, 10:20 AM
slowly

I have been on several different antidepressants throughtout the years. My doctor usually has be take a little less each day for a week and then off of it. The only one I had SEVERE trouble with was Effextor. It made me very SICK when I stopped it. Anyway just wean it slowly and you shouldn't have any problems but you may want to call your doctor to make sure.
Unread 01-17-2005, 02:50 PM

You will know when you are ready to lower your dosage of any anti depressant. I was on Zoloft after my hysterectomy for about 6 months (50 mg/day). You should not go every other day. If you recall, when you started Zoloft you should have started with a week or two weeks worth of 25 mg before they put you up to 50 mg. Then those who needed more would have been on 50 mg for a while and then moved to a higher dosage. To go off of it you should go off in a similar fashion. Again I am no doctor, you should check with your doctor. However, when you feel flat inside and nothing gives you an excited feeling, it's time to go down to a lower dosage. For example, it was fall when I realize the Zoloft had done its duty and it was time to put it away. It was one of those beautiful days in the Appalacian Mountains that others will drive miles and miles and pay big bucks just to see for a short weekend. The sun was splashing down on all the vivid colors and painting a fabulous picture of autum glory. I was driving on my winding, twisting roads in West Virginia not admiring the view in my usual zest and thinking, "Yep there's the colorful trees again." The feeling was not sad or depressed it was more like Mr. Spock of Star Trek - a very logical, flat feeling. It was right then and there I said to myself, "Well, my nurse practicioner was right. It's time to get off of the Zoloft". And I did. I didn't have to go to 25 mg. But, it might be safer to go down to 25 mg for two weeks first before you stop cold turkey. I'm a cold turkey kind of girl. This drives my doctors crazy - it's not the way to do it.
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:19 PM

I did not receive my zoloft for 3 days while in the hospital for dehydration and a uti in Sept. I figured I would quit taking the zoloft anyway, because emotionally I was much better. I ended up with a TERRIBLE headache that the morphine I was on did not touch. I also experienced terrible mood swings and the jitters.
I went to my GP and he said I was having terrible withdrawals. I asked to go on Lexapro instead of the zoloft. Within a couple days the side effects were gone. I stayed on the Lexapro for about 1 month, then only took them every 2 days, then quit taking them all together. I had no side effects from stopping the Lexapro.

Please be careful going off of the zoloft. I don't wish my experience on anybody.
When I first started the zoloft( first 2 weeks) I had terrible jitters, blurred vision, anxiety grew worst. I will never again go on zoloft!

Peggy
Unread 01-17-2005, 06:43 PM

Peggy,

What you were experiencing was probably a rebound headache. Many pain medications can do the same thing. I am an experienced at this because I suffer from migraines and have to be careful in taking certain pain medications. For instance, I have mild arthirtis in my back from an ATV accident. I took motrine for a week and at the end of the week started having a severe headache when I stopped taking it. My Nuerologist tells me that your body gets used to getting the drug and then withdraws from it and wants more. It's like when you have a hangover from drinking too much. Some alcoholics claim their hangover goes away by drinking again in the morning. I had a terrible 3 day migraine when I went off of my pain medicine after my hysterectomy. I also had a 3 day migraine when I had to stop drinking soda due to acid reflux (caffine withdraw).

If anyone out there suffers from migraines be sure to let your DR's know this. There are meds they can give you to help you fight off these terrible reactions when withdrawing from the meds. I usually just suffer through them myself, as I know they will usually go away in about 3 days. I use cold packs on my head instead. I also hear there are self hypnosis techniques you can learn. I want to learn how to do this myself sometime.
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:41 AM

I have to agree with the sisters that suggested you let your doc guide you in weaning off the Zoloft. I am currently in the process of weaning off Elavil....am lowering my dosage by 10mg every two weeks until I'm done (under my physicians guidance.) I take Zoloft and found a few months ago when I ran out and didn't take it for a few days, I had horrible hot flashes and was irritable as all get out. Think that was my body's way of saying that I wasn't ready to be without it.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:44 PM

Wow... I'm even more unique than I thought. Ok, ok...I'll admit it ...weird.

I was on 25 mg daily of Zoloft for months and then it quit working so well, so my doc had me up to 50mg. Well, that was TOO much and so I called in and said ...hey 25 not enough and 50 too much (dizzy, not able to think ...just really yuk). So, he suggested 50mg every other day. I had my doubts but decided that I'd trust him and try it. I've been on 50 every other day foror a couple of months and it is working really well for me.

My DS is on 100mg daily and that works great for her. She started on 50mg and it worked for a couple of months and then not so well, so he had her up to 100 daily and she noticed nothing but that she felt good again. I think she'd rob a bank before she quits Zoloft. Its all good for her.

My point? We are all so individual and at the very least need to be in communication with our docs before making ANY dosage changes and then need to report in on how we are doing with change.

Discuss your concerns about medication cost with your doc. They get samples, you know and might be willing to help you out with at least some free meds.

Be well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register