anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please! anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please!

Unread 01-19-2005, 02:25 PM
anybody ever got off zoloft? need to hear from you please!

If the cost is the only reason you're going off the Zoloft, PLEASE PLEASE let your doctor know. There are many things they can do. I'm not sure if doctors still get Zoloft samples, as it isn't the "newest" drug that the drug companies want them to push, but many of the drug companies have assistance programs that your doctor can direct you to that will give you the medications that you need at no cost to you.

If that isn't an option, Prozac is now made generically, so if you have insurance and they push a generic, that can be a really good alternative to Zoloft. That is what I've been taking for years now, after trials on other antidepressants.

If you do decide that it's time for you to come off the antidepressants, and many people do, PLEASE taper off slowly. It is usually cutting your dose by a little for five days, then a little more, then a little more, then every other day, then off, at least that's the way I've tried it. However, I have terrible withdrawal from SSRI medications...I get sick feeling, and the worst vertigo feeling ever...if I don't taper off. I used an over the counter medication called meclizine (or dramamine less drowsy) to help with the vertigo and nausea. It helps, but you definately need to taper off with your doctor's supervision so you don't wind up feeling worse.

Again, if it is just a financial need (Prozac is just about the only SSRI that my insurance will cover as a generic...anything newer costs me $50 a month!!!) ask your doctor or nurse about the drug manufacturers programs. Almost all of them have it, and antidepressants are a very commonly requested medication on those programs, as they are all very expensive. My grandma has used the program for her urinary medications, and they are happy to help.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:58 AM
zoloft

hi! i had to reply too. i,m currently taking zoloft andi find it is pretty good s ofar. i was on it before and i never had a hard time getting off, the only time i found it hard was going off of wellbrutin. my doctor wanted me to go on zoloft , taking 75mg first, but my pharmist said it was too much at first where i haven, t been on fro a few months. going off slowly is the only answer. i went off cold turkey and it was the worse thing i ever did. hot flashes, irritabliity, everything under the sun. please be careful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register