how do you get your calcium? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how do you get your calcium? how do you get your calcium?

Unread 01-17-2005, 11:06 AM
how do you get your calcium?

I am 7 days post-op and feeling good. Other than the obvious dairy products how are you all getting your calcium? I especially like vegetables, does anyone know if any are high in calcium?

Hope that you are all doing as well as I am and that the worst is behind us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 11:26 AM
re:calcium

Hi Doodie, I don't drink milk,but I do eat a lot of cheese products. BUT the main thing I do take is CORAL CALCIUM PLUS. It doesn't upset my stomach like milk and other calcium pills. It absorbs in my body like it should! You can get it online at a vitamin shop or go to your local vitamin-health food store. They can help you on which one. Make sure though that you get one that says from Okinawa, Japan! Good luck and hope that this little bit of info helps out. Take care of yourself!
bye,sweetie39
Unread 01-17-2005, 11:34 AM

Hi Doodie,

Did you know that almonds are a great source of calcium? I like to have some in the evening if I get hungry, but they are a great healthy snack anytime. I also like to take the calcium citrate supplements( with magnesium). I have taken the Coral calcium too and really liked it. I found it at WalMart. You might want to check- lots cheaper.

s, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-17-2005, 12:38 PM

I think broccoli has a lot of calcium in it.

I, just like sweetie39, take Coral Calcium Plus, I get used to get in online but found it at Sam's for about half the price.

Calcium also helps your body metabolize fat!
Unread 01-17-2005, 01:19 PM

Hi!

I take a calcium supplement. I also eat dark leafy greens. I heard they have calcium. I occasionally eat yougurt. I try to remember to drink milk, but I'm hooked on diet coke with lime. I also drink oj and Ocean Spray cranberry juice that has calcium added. Some cereals have added calcium now. Almost forgot - I eat lots of cheese, too!

God Bless
Joanne
Unread 01-17-2005, 01:46 PM

I also take the Coral Calcium... 1000 mg... one in morning and one at night.

To avoid kidney stones, I always eat bran cereal or some peanut butter when I take the calcium. I read that the oxalates in those foods bind with the calcium, causing them to be absorbed in the intestines instead of being eliminated through the kidneys.
Unread 01-17-2005, 02:54 PM

I love this site!! I was "trying" to take the Viactiv, but I really don't like it, and as such, not taking it the way I should. Three times a day is what the dr said.

I'll look for the Coral Calcium next time at the store.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Pat
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Getting enough calcium is just part of the equation

I eat a mostly vegan diet. I do buy honey, and I make some allowances when I eat at restaurants or friends' houses.

I use soymilk on my cereal, and that is fortified with calcium. Most of our juices and cereals are fortified with calcium. I eat a lot of leafy greens, whole grains, legumes, nuts. I eat virtually no animal protein, so my body doesn't need to buffer extra acid created from excess protein in my diet (specifically the sulfur containing amino acids found in abundance in meats, eggs and dairy). The high sulfur:calcium ratio in a diet rich in animal foods can lead to bone dimineralization because your body needs to buffer the sulfate to maintain normal pH. Your body will use some it's own calcium stored in bones to do this.

Despite the hype, there is no calcium emergency. Why is it that the countries who consume the most calcium have the highest rates of osteoporosis? It's clearly not the calcium we should be worrying about. Calcium is in a constant state of flux in our bodies... calcium coming in and calcium being excreted. Our bones are essentially a calcium pool, which our bodies use to regulate our pH. Bones are constantly being remodelled by special cells... osteoclasts involved basically in resorbing bone, and osteoblasts making new bone. Weight bearing excercise that puts stress on your bones will lead to new bone formation.

Acid-base balance (eating less animal foods!), good nutrition and weight bearing excercise, I believe are key to healthy bones. I practice martial arts, biking, and in general am very fit. At various times in my life I've been very into backpacking and rock climbing. I've never broken a bone in my life.

I recommend the following article which explains the milk/calcium/osteoporosis paradox... http://www.ivu.org/congress/wvc96/texts/milk.html

Just my
Unread 01-17-2005, 05:27 PM

I take Viactiv chews in caramel...not bad!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register