Is this rectocele or what?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this rectocele or what?? Is this rectocele or what??

Unread 01-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Is this rectocele or what??

I am 5 months PO from SAH. I have been having mini periods. I had at least 6 uti's in the first 3 months PO. I developed vulvodynia PO.

NOW when I have a bm I have a visable pink mass that is coming out of my vagina. Sometimes I have to put my fingers in my vagina to have a bm, sometimes I do not.

I have taken a break from weight lifting and running as that seemed to make it feel more irritated.

When lying down if I am relaxed I can't feel anything, if I strain, like the dr. has you do when doing a rectal exam, I can feel at least a golf ball sized lump at my vaginal opening and under the skin all around the opening is very hard and puffed out to about a tennis ball size.

I'm not sure what this is, but my research of the symptoms is coming up with rectocele.

Do I need to have my dr. look at it soon or can I let it go for awhile? We are trying to switch health insurance and I know if this is what it is, it's going to be pre-exisiting and have a writer.

I would welcome any feedback. I'm feeling very scared! I don't want to have anyone "look" for another thing wrong, but I don't want to end up in worse condition either. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 08:00 AM

That sounds like my symptoms when I was diagnosed with a rectocele. My doctor said the most important thing was to keep from getting constipated. That means lots of fiber, and stool softeners like Colace if necessary. He said for some women just getting enough fiber wouldn't be enough.

The other thing to avoid is abdominal pressure. What a great excuse not to do situps!
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:21 AM

I really need to know what my exercise limits should be.

I lost 90 lbs. in the last 1.5 yrs. and had a TT at the time of my hyst. I do work out at a fairly high level. I was back running at 7-8 weeks, and lifting light weights, and by 12 weeks I was back to my pre-op weights. I starting intense ab work outs at 12 weeks. My gyn said there were NO limits, I could do whatever I wanted from 5 weeks on.

I have backed off my exercise and have had some lessening of the bulge, but is that exercise related or just lucky?

Answers, I need concrete answers! Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 01:19 PM

Sure sounds like my experience....increasing fiber is a must, cause if you get constipated...:hair: that was not a very pleasant experience...I posted as I was going through it here on the road and I never want to have that again, so I increased my fiber and drink lots of water and take a stool softener and so far, so good.
You are not going to get concrete answers here, only from your doc. I do know that using your abd muscles will make it worse---I had a problem with just the prolapse part of it after a long weekend of moving around and shopping, I hate pressure and pain there for a good number of days and had to stay off the puter for awhile cause sitting up made it worse.
Unread 01-18-2005, 01:37 PM

It sounds like a rectocele to me.

Mine was fixed 5 weeks ago. I knew I had a problem for almost a YEAR before the repair. 2 male docs basically blew me off, so I took the initiative and went to a female colon/rectal surgeon, who ordered a defography test which confirmed the diagnosis.

To chime in with the others, you do not want to get constipated!!!

My problem with fiber is that it binds me up too much, even with water, so I am still taking a stool softener a day.

You can wait, but, it could get worse, despite all that you do. You just don't want to have the stool start backing up, because that will cause many problems!!!
I would check with a good doc about the exercise. It may depend on the size, location, etc. You may be o.k. doing non-weight-bearing-like pool work-outs.

I hope that this helps.
Marcia
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:37 PM

Marcia
I am supposed to get my rectocele and enterocele fixed next week. I also need a sling procedure done and may have a cystocele. Do you think the repair was really worth it? How do you feel 5 weeks out andd what was the worst part of it?

Thanks for any info
Peggy
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:16 PM

Peggy are all these prolapses new since your hyst?? Why does it look like you still have your uterus?

I'm still bleeding as though I have a uterus. One gyn I saw for a consult for the post op bleeding said he didn't know why my surgeon left so much of my uterus still there and that's why I'm still bleeding so much!

I am SO upset about the prospect of another surgery. My original surgeon says the only way to stop the bleeding is go back in and remove my cervix.

I sure don't want to live without being able to do all the physical activities I have enjoyed this last year because of a rectocele!

How bad does it get before they must operate?? Did you resume regular of strenuous exercise post op?

Thanks! And good luck.
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:03 PM

I had my uterus and cervix out in May. I have developed the enterocele and rectocele and possible cystocele since then. I haven't had my surgery yet. It is supposed to be next Tuesday if the urologist is avaliable. I will find out tomorrow at my uro. appt.
I have had constipation for years, which I guess is one thing that lead to the prolapses. I also did strainous housekeeping for 12 years at a mental hospital. I am now a aid there.
It has gotten to the point I have to push in the rectocele in order to empty the pouch. I cannot feel sexual sensation in there anymore. Now I have urine leakage when exerting abdominal pressure. I am to the point that I am tired of living with it and am ready to have it repaired.
From what I have read you have to take it very easy for several months post op. No lifting more than the weight of a gallon of milk for 4 weeks according to my dr. I also read you should forever avoid heavy lifting and strainous exercise. I will ask my dr. about that tomorrow at my pre op appt. The recovery sounds alot like the hyst recovery. I am not looking forward to it!!!!

Peggy
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:55 PM

Hello ladies,

This is my point of view 5 weeks out.

The rectocele repair that I had included perineal repair, as the vaginal vault was much thinner than anticipated.

I came home with a lot of stitches.

My hyst scar, to my surprise and delight, had NO external stitches. They were all internal. She used the old c-section scar and you can hardly even see it.

To be honest, it sometimes still hurts to sit.
I see my URO next week, but she probably is not going to clear me until it's been 8 weeks. She had made it clear that I am to avoid heavy lifting and straining, for a long time..........I'm really not sure, but she used mesh for the repair and I was warned that the recovery was going to be a long one.

My bottom really HURT, much more than I thought that it would. I was not clear on post-op instructions as far as my definition of "rest" and theirs. I really overdid it right away by being up and about instead of laying down with my feet up.
I found that I really had to be flat or semi-flat, to reduce the swelling in the area and avoid any weight on the pelvic area at all.
Once I figured that out, and told the household that I would have to be waited on instead of up-and-down, I did start to feel better.

It did take a good 3-4 weeks, so be prepared. If you know that it may be a while, then you could surprise yourself if you feel better, sooner.

GYNO said yesterday that things look good from her end, and to call with any concerns. She agreed that the URO needed to give me final clearance for ALL activities-because it had only been 5 1/2 weeks.

So far, this has been worth it. I am not sure what my physical activity limits will be, but I'm leaning towards going back to teaching fitness and will probably opt for yoga.

I hope this helped. I don't want to be negative, BUT it has been more painfull than anticipated, and I have a high pain tolerance!!!!!

Good Luck, take care,

Marcia
Unread 01-19-2005, 05:03 AM

Marcia
Thanks for the info. Somehow I keep thinking this will be a quick little surgery and I will be back to normal activities real quick. I guess I better change my perception of this surgery and recovery.
I do alot of lifting, pushing, restraining clients, etc. at my job. I have to help break up fights and sometimes take clients down when they get out of control. I wonder if I will ever be allowed to do this kind of work again? I guess I better add this to my list of questions for my dr's.
My dr. plans on using dermal graft to reinforce my rectocele/enterocele repair. Have you ever heard of this?

I will post tonight to let everyone know how my two appts went and what they had to say.

Peggy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register