Need help with connnnstiiipppaaaationnn!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need help with connnnstiiipppaaaationnn!!! Need help with connnnstiiipppaaaationnn!!!

Unread 01-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Is Fiber the Answer? Researchers Doubt It

Just opened up today's New York Times, and there is an article on ... drumroll please ...Constipation!

Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/18/he...tml?oref=login
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Need help with connnnstiiipppaaaationnn!!!

Here is what my doctor told me to do post op and I have not had one problem. I'm extremely regular, no cramping and minimal gas.
He said to stir 1 tablespoon of pure mineral oil into 6 oz of yogurt every day.
That's it.
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:40 PM

I have a good friend who had the same problem (due to medication, not surgery). She and I have the same MD, and he recommended 1) Increased fiber and water intake, no caffeine, drink warm liquids, especially in the morning. 2) Colace or other stool softener, if (1) doesn't do it. 3) Add non-stimulating Milk of Magnesia to (1) and (2). She took three doses of the MOM, and no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Dried fruit

Dried apricots and peaches worked for me. They also helped with the constant craving for sweets.
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:19 PM

A tea called Super Dieter's Tea that comes in various flavors is great for this problem. It contains senna and you should follow the directions to brew a weak tea at first and only drink a little as directed at first also. It's great hot or cold.

Also if you have a sweet tooth like me, get some medool dates to munch on. They're like candy. Also figs are good to get things moving, so pig out on fig newtons! Yum!

MikeyFan (Joyce)
Unread 01-18-2005, 06:59 PM

I feel for you I too just went through the same thing. I am 5 days post op. I hadn't had a bm yet, bloated miserable. I swore I wasn't going to eat another thing, or take any more pain meds...drink a ton of water until something happen. I was already taking stool softeners everyday, even try milk of magnesium. NOTHING! It hurt to bad to bare down. I finally broke down and called the nurse.
I told her I was about to drink some more of the "fleet" medicine. She said they don't like you to take stuff orally that to try a suppository. If that didn't work call back the next day and might have to use the "Fleet enema". So I inserted laid down on my left side like she said. I also used a heating pad and within an hour it worked! Thank Goodness! But it hurt bad. My husband had a support wrap from his hernia operation that I wrapped around my stomach for extra support. It's very difficult when you are too sore to bare down and you don't have any strength in your muscles to help push! And they think house work is tuff on you! From here on in, I am treating my bowels like a princess!
Lots of Luck to you....I hope this helped!
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:10 PM

Me too Kitty. That first one was more painful than childbirth. Scared to death to bare down for fear I would hurt myself. Took 6 days. I also had to use a suppository. Since then, it's been smooth sailing.
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:13 PM

Milk of Magnesia worked wonders for me. I did not get crampy or gassy either. It helped a lot, especially if you don't have much of an appetite (which I didn't) for all the foods that can help you move along naturally... hope this helps!
Unread 01-18-2005, 07:25 PM
constipation

I have always had trouble with constipation since I was very young, yet I didn't want to get addicted to laxatives. However, after trying all kinds of fibers and OTC stuff like Medimucil, etc., I found an herbal tea, Lace Dieters Tea, at the health food store. Microwave water in a coffee mug for two minutes, take out carefully and add the tea bag. After dunking it a few times in the water, let it steep according to directions 5 minutes (or longer if you need to make it stronger after you have adjusted to it. Before bedtime, drink half of the liquid and save the rest for next night, depending on how you do the next morning. If you cramp a lot or it makes you go too much, cut back. If you don't do as much as you feel you need to, you may drink all of the liquid instead of just half, but NO MORE than one tea bag per night. You may find you only need your tea a few nights a week or you may need it every night. I don't know what I would have done without it for the past seven years. My doctor also said it was okay and I drank it each night I was in the hospital and after. I promise it works! Sincerely, BT (Nervous Redhead)
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:20 PM

Yep. Have had problems with it too. Iron will constipate you and I was already that way before I started taking it for the anemia. Post Raisin Bran has worked wonders for me. Dark leafy green veggies are great for iron, calcium, and constipation. If you like wild greens Dandelion is the Queen for constipation.

Happy Healing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register