What can we do to get SLEEP? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can we do to get SLEEP? What can we do to get SLEEP?

Unread 01-18-2005, 02:42 PM
What can we do to get SLEEP?

If we cant sleep can we truly get "rest"? I am lying down and tired of surfing the channels on tv. I cant read, I find I am ditizier than normal also. Even the Vicodin is not putting me to sleep. What is the deal? I am 6 days post-op and just wanting to get some sleep. I am also VERY sensitive to sounds now. I was a light sleeper before but this is ridiculous.

I am going to talk to dr next week, but I was wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 02:59 PM
sleep

I had surgery 12/27 & still am not sleeping well, but was not a real good sleeper before. I had one or 2 nights since surgery that I slept decent. First of all I cannot get comfortable as incision hurts or if I do get to sleep then I have night sweats & has not gotten any better with time. 3 weeks & still hurting, it has got to get better
Unread 01-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Good, I thought it was just me

It got so bad last night, I was mad at the clock on the wall for ticking and tocking too loud. I had to get up and take it off the wall and out of the room. I sleep with a fan in my room and that usually helps to drown out any sounds in addtion to keeping me cool. I am VERY hot natured.

I am also finding it hard to sleep on our waterbed and thinking that maybe we can get rid of the water bladder and put a mattress in the frame and maybe that would help.

My assignment for January, on my first step to losing 100 pounds, is to drink more water, well my newly irritated bladder does not like that and I am getting up more often to go pee. And once I get up it is impossible to fall back sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 03:58 PM

some people find listening to soft soothing music. My son has ADHD so that is good for him. I also have problems sleeping. Im 7 wks post op. I have found drinking ovalteen helps quite a bit. I was given that piece of advice from others here at hystersisters. They say just make sure you get the malted kind. I drink the choc. kind. you can drink it cold or hot. although I guess drinking it warm might be better because of the warm milk thing before bed. Sometimes I also drink hot tea like sleepy time tea or camaemale(bad spelling) they are herbal teas.

Good luck. If nothing else works try your doc he may be able to help you also.
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:37 PM

I have read many posts where people refuse to take meds to sleep, but honestly, I got to the point at 4 wks post op that I thought I was going to lose my mind if I didn't get some sleep. Not even Tylenol PM was helping. So I called my OB and he perscribed just a few Ambien tablets. Those were the BEST nights of sleep I have had in a long time, and, for me, I just fell asleep and didn't wake up till the next morning and I didn't have that medicine-head feeling like I do with other meds. Just felt very refreshed and rested. That's what finally worked for me. Now I can happily say that at 6 weeks post-op I am sleeping without any assistance. And since he only perscribed a few, I didn't become dependent upon them. Hope this helps you.
Unread 01-18-2005, 05:41 PM

I'm sleeping better now. I couldn't take my pain meds at night because they gave me terrible nightmares. Then, I went off of them, and still couldn't sleep. Finally, at about 4 weeks post-op, I took two Tylenol PM before bed, for three nights and it seems as if my body has learned to sleep again. I feel much better.
Good luck.
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:25 PM

I had a really hard time sleeping after surgery. The most I would get would be 4 hours at a stretch. Tylenol PM or melatonin work really well for me, and I am able to sleep the whole night..
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:43 PM
sleep

I too ended up getting a prescription sleeping aid. I tried the over counter medications and that didn't work. I receive Restoril and I finally did get some sleep. I am now nine weeks post op and I am finally sleeping good without any sleep aides.

Hang in there ladies, it will get better. I don't miss the sleepless nights. Buy hey, when you are wide awake in bed, get on hystersisters...some other sleepless women is always here looking to chat.

Take Care,
Julie
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:03 PM
ZZZZZZZ

Uhg...sleep, its like a distant memory! I am almost seven weeks post op and have the same problem. I have not been able to start HRT yet because of the fact that I had endo, Dr wanted to wait to start me ( I start tommorow). I was thinking that the insomnia was due to lack of hormones...I hope that is the case and that this will get better. I do have a few hints for coping that have helped ease the suffering for me. To ward off the night sweats I got a product (made for childrens fevers) called BEKOOLZ they stick to your forehead to help keep a fever down. Well I stick one on my forehead and the back of my neck before I go to sleep...really helps! About an hour before I go to sleep I take a tylenol pm and drink a chilled glass of green tea (good for sleeping and healing) then I take a semi cool shower to feel nice and clean...this regimine has been getting me at least 5-6 good hours a night. Not the best but better then none!

Good luck!
Lisa
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Why is it that we just Can't sleep?

I don't get it... WHY can't we all sleep? What is the connection? We have all had different kinds of the surgery.. is it the being put under for the surgery?

I was never a GREAT sleeper anyhow. I usually go to bed and stare at the ceiling for 2 hours anyhow.... but this is terrible. It goes on and on. I will am just under 6 weeks. I am just POOPED.

I am not a huge tea drinker, so the sleepytime tea's are out. Tried the Ovaltine and ended up running back and forth to the bathroom with some serious diahrea problems (sorry... gross)... so that is out.

I am scared of the Tylenol PM stuff. I took it before, and I was just very fuzzy in the morning and I don't like that feeling. Other than calling the doctor for some sleep meds, I am unsure what else to try. I guess I am just wondering how we are all just so not able to sleep. What causes it in us?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register