wacky hair | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-18-2005, 08:26 PM
wacky hair

Hi everyone,
I feel like this is a rather trivial complaint compared to what others go thru but here goes. I had my hysterectomy about 2-1/2 months ago (Election Day) and since then my hair just hasn't been itself. I've always had pretty good hair but now it's flat and dry and won't do a derned thing no matter what. Has anyone else had this experience? My friend says she has heard somewhere that anesthetic can do things to your hair.... but anesthetic was a long time ago. Back during the days of periods, my hair was always wacky like this on the first day of my period.... but now I have period head ALL the time. Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks, Elaine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 09:24 PM
wacky hair

Hi Elaine,
my hair has gone wacky, too.
My hairdresser said the anesthesia will do it (and that can stay in your system for quite a while, I've heard); my doctor said also the hormone fluctuations (she said a lot of women lose some hair after childbirth because of the hormone surges).
My hair has always been very thick and lush...it's now very dull and limp, and I've lost a lot of it, it's thinned out quite a bit. A couple of weeks after surgery, I was losing handfuls of hair; now, four months post-op, I still notice a lot coming out, but not as much.
this too shall pass....
Cathi

LAVH, RSO, TVT - 9/13/04
Unread 01-18-2005, 09:30 PM
wacky hair

I have wacky hair too. My LSH was just 2 weeks ago, and when i got home, I had the worst case of dandruff and itchy scalp ever. We're talking HUGE flakes everywhere. I called my hairdresser, she gave me some advice on what kind of shampoo to use plus conditioner. I'll say it's a lot better this week, still some irritating spots, but overall pretty good.

The hairdresser said that anesthesia as well as pain killers can do some wacky things. She also said that after the surgery your hormones could be out of kilt for awhile (even if ovaries are left) and not to expect too much for a bit while my body adjusts to the "new me". I had similar issues after childbirth too.

My advice--get a great haircut and some different product to use for awhile. It'll be worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2005, 09:55 PM
wacky hair

Glad I'm not alone with this wacky hair, I always had curly hair but the few months before my surgery it went straighter( which I quite liked) now it's back to being very curly again
First thought it was the hysterectomy and anesthetic but only today talked to a friend who hasn't had a hysterectomy but recently started HRT and she is having the same wacky hair problem. We both agree that we feel very balanced on our current treatment so for us we ruled out a hormonal imbalance, guess I better get used to it, a new hairstyle might be in order but it's a shame as I really like my current style, Oh well if this is my biggest worry , so be it
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Hair care

Dont feel like this is a silly question...after going through so much and feeling so yucky for so long, it really is the little things that matter! My Mother-in-Law is a hairdresser and she bought me some hair products that are called Sensories the line is called healthy, they make shampoo, conditioner and a leave in conditioner. It is an anti-stress and strenghtening product. It has done wonders for me. Ask your hair dresser what she recomends. I also bought a really good skin moisterizer as well since hormones/lack of hormones really dries out your skin. Also make sure you take a really good daily vitamin!

Good look and pamper yourself...you are a princess now!

Lisa
Unread 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
drink water

i have been drinking a ton of water post op-i feel like i have flushed out all the bad toxins of the painkillers and the anastethic-my hair has been pretty normal-so i feel the water has really helped
Unread 01-19-2005, 06:36 AM
wacky hair

Take heart my sissie,
My hair is not itself. I've always had wavy fluffy hair, good color, natural highlights. OMG Not now. My hair is flat and frizzy all at the same time. Very coarse and a weired brassy color!!! I've been wondering what to do. I hate to use color but I need something to tone down the brazziness. Any suggestions. I'm a dark blonde, well I used to be.
thanks girls
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:28 AM
wacky hair

With each surgery I've had I about lose my eyebrows and eye lashes, I think it's because of the anesthesia. My eyebrows have never really came back, so short and light and I have hardly any lower lashes my uppers aren't too bad. I don't know what's going to happen this next go around.
Unread 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM
wacky hair

Garsh girls....Thanks so much for all the responses. I feel better now that I know it's not ''just me"..... I really believe that the advice of a good hairdresser is pretty important. I'm having a talk with mine tomorrow. Also thinking of maybe trying some 'hair vitamins'.
Wondergram... Maybe some highlights are what you need to have put in...they can tone down the brassiness some first.

This is such a GREAT site!!!!
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:14 PM
wacky hair

hi ladies

in response to the wacky hair a friend of mine told me her mom had the same issue and she was told by her doc to take
pre natal vitamins! i know sounds funny considering but im sure its because of all the xtra loaded stuff in them

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register