risk of prolapse after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

risk of prolapse after surgery? risk of prolapse after surgery?

Unread 01-19-2005, 05:20 AM
risk of prolapse after surgery?

Hi, does anybody know what the risk of prolapse, of bowel or bladder is after hysterectomy? And how long you are at risk of this for? When will I be able to lift things like before the op? I know that the 3 month thing is well known, but nobody seems to be able to tell me when I will be fully recovered, and able to lift things like before!!!! Thanks to everybody who has replied to other questions I have asked before!! Great Site. xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 05:35 AM
hi

Hi,
I had a LAVH and had a prolapsed bladder fixed. However, I developed a rectocele (rectum prolapse into vagina) three weeks after surgery. It can happen (I've read several posts about it), and depends on what you had fixed, whether there is support for the structures that are left, and whether your pelvic floor is weak.
If you have questions, ask your doc and maybe even get a good check in there before resuming certain activities. They do release you for activity but that doesn't mean you are totally healed!
Be careful. Even now I am mindful of what I need to lift and whether I will or not. There are some things I don't do at all any more.
LCP
Unread 01-19-2005, 06:04 AM
restrictions

My doc told me that prolapses also occur from lack of hormones, so if you are able, I think taking HRT would be a plus.

I know you can get hernias from lifting, but I don't know about the rest.

I was not given any lifting restrictions after the 7 weeks post op go ahead. He just said go back into things slowly, and I consulted with the trainer at the gym to get some advice.

I think the place to start with questions is with your doctor too.
I am back to doing everything I was before surgery-but I have always limited some of my lifting since back surgery 20 years ago. Like I don't do the softener salt bags, or lift the tongue on the trailer, and I ask others to carry the vacuum up and down steps-(and to vacuum while they are at it )

But I do all the other things-I did not have a bladder repair but did have a rectocele repair.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 07:47 AM
risk of prolapse after surgery?

Yes it can happen, it happen to me. I had a prolapse. My colon and bladder were coming out of my vagina. I had to have surgury again to have them put back in. This happened after my 6 week check up and I was cleared. They said it is very rare that this happens.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register