Showering to soon after TAH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Showering to soon after TAH? Showering to soon after TAH?

Unread 01-19-2005, 12:37 PM
Showering to soon after TAH?

I was allowed to shower the next day in the hospital, and the shower had a seat in it. I was glad of that because I would have never been able to stand that long. When I got home I made sure hubby was there my first few showers and even had him shave my legs, they felt so gross, so I was glad to have that done. He even painted my toe nails for me. Good luck and try not to fret too much, everything will go just fine.

-Lisa

39 years old TAH/BSO 11/30/04 endo stage 3, cervix gone along with everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 12:46 PM

I took my first shower the first day I was home. DH put a lawn Chair in Tub (worked great!) and he, yes DH actually washed my hair while I sat in the lawn chair cause I hurt too much to breathe than to have to wash my hair. It felt great! My Dgt who is 19 shaved my legs for me the first two weeks! Not to be gross, but she even wiped my hind end because it hurt to twist and wipe cause I am 50 #'s too fluffy. She was fine with it. She is in College to be a RN and she is working as a Nurse Aid. Also those scrunchies on a stick work great later when you can shower alone.
Boneta

Was told 3 days and ditto, don't face the water, which I don't much anyway. I figure that'll be the day I come home and won't want to then either, we have a 65 mile drive. Will wait one more day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

I was also allowed to take a shower in the hospital the day after surgery. I had assistance from a nurse because I also had knee and elbow surgery at the same time...so if you feel you need help, just ask a nurse.

Also, after I got home, I made sure either my mom or husband was around when I got in the shower the first few times while I was still on pain meds just in case I had any problems. I also had a plastic stool that I sat on in the shower because I was too tired (and my knee) to stand for very long.

Good luck!
Unread 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Hello
I had a bed bath the next day of the op and the second day I showered in the hospital.
Before I went in, I was waxed, so did not have to worry about shaving the legs!
Good luckand best wishes!!
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:30 PM

The day after my surgery I was allowed to wash up at the sink. I thought I'd be upset about not getting to shower and shampoo that day but actually it was ok, I was so tired, and glad to get back to bed. The following day I was able to shower and that felt great. But I recommend the shampoo conditioner combo so you can be done quick because you will get very tired. At home I showered every other day because it was exhausting. I slept and napped a lot the first few days that my hair never looked good so a shower wouldn't have helped! I was told to blot my incision dry. I still need to take it slow after my shower. I ususally sit on my bed in my robe for a while before even getting dressed. Take it slow, you have one chance at a good recovery. The time does fly by.
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM

1) lucky, previous owner put bars in the shower to hold on to

2) already got the shampoo/conditioner combo just in case

3) have an electric razor, will find out how much my hubby loves me..... "Honey, will you....." But he can't go higher then my knees
Unread 01-19-2005, 01:59 PM

I too was allowed to shower the day after my surgery. Came home on the second day and showered on my own .. no problems.

Doc said to let the water run on my incision...but not to rub it... and then to pat it dry......... the idea of the hair dryer to finish the job is an EXCELLENT ONE... wish i'd thought of that
Unread 01-19-2005, 02:10 PM

The day after my surgery, the nurse helped me with a sponge bath. It was better then nothing but I had a bad case of bedhead!

The next day, once the IV was disconnected, I was able to take a shower. DH helped me.

By the time I came home, I didn't need a shower chair or anything, I as strong enough to stand in the shower.
Unread 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM

I was able to shower the next day. I was worried about keeping my incision clean, so I bought antibactirial soap. The liquid kind. I had my DH start the shower, then I got in. I had the lap. hyst, so I only had 3 small holes, and one incision about 1 inch. I gently patted my incision dry. Had no problems at all. Was wishing that I had someone to blow dry my hair for me though, I think that it would have felt wonderful. Some people may not like the smell of a strong perfumed body lotion. But, I loved it. I would smooth in on after my shower. It also helped with the dry skin. I also made sure that I had many new pairs of silky pjs to put on. They just made me feel special. I looked forward to my shower every day, and couldn't wait for DH to get home so that I could take one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register