Showering to soon after TAH? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Showering to soon after TAH? Showering to soon after TAH?

Unread 01-19-2005, 07:42 PM
Showering to soon after TAH?

I had a TAH, LSO on 1/5/04 and was able to take a shower the next morning. I too have oily hair so it felt great. DH helped me shower and dry my hair. I have been able to take a shower everyday. I get very tired so I have a chair from the kitchen in the bathroom to sit in while I dry my hair. Has worked wonders! Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 07:48 PM

I was encouraged to take a shower the next morning - staples and all. It felt great to get the iodine off my belly skin. I was even still on the catheter at that point... the IV stand and PCA pump stayed outside the shower and I knew right where the call button was for the nurse if I felt shakey.

I took sample bottles of my favorite shampoo - because I didn't want to chance that the hospital would have something yummy smelling. I also took a sample bottle of body wash, because just as I feared, their bar soap was DIAL and I really don't like the smell of it on my skin. As I recall, I showered, ate breakfast and basically napped the rest of the time until the doc came by on rounds. After he spoke with me a while, I went for my first "round the floor" walk.
Unread 01-22-2005, 01:33 PM

Hi,

I too showered the second day at the hospital. I still had the catheter in an extra day due to my bladder being slower to function properly. But on day two I showered without assistance and had no problem standing. It felt great! I showered every day and never had any incisional problems. The nurses encouraged me to get up and be mobile as quickly as possible...sometimes it hurt, but they were right!

Best wishes to you!
Shirlyn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 02:06 PM

I had wash downs the second and third days at the castle. Had a lovely shower at home on the fourth day.

Remember not to scrub your incision area and leave the steri strips on. Don't give in to temptation and pull them off!

Happy healing...

Sarah
Unread 01-22-2005, 07:10 PM

Hippie...you make me laugh........

I gave in and started peeling them off about day 10....... by the time I made it to the docs office on day 14.... THEY WERE ALL OFF.
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:09 AM

My surgery was a Tuesday morning and I took a shower Thursday morning at the hospital. The nurse blocked off my IV so I could and when I asked about my incision, she said it was okay if it got wet. I just had to make sure there was something in whatever shower I used for me to hold onto. I didn't feel my balance was the greatest when I closed my eyes to wash my hair.

~Tammy
Unread 01-24-2005, 07:38 AM
shower after

The day of my surgery the nurses and aides got me up and had me walk to the sink, brush my teeth, wash my face and comb my hair. I think it was an "exercise" moment. The next morning after surgery and aide came in and took me into the shower in my bathroom in the hospital. There was a platform to sit on and the shower wand. She held the wand and had me wash everything, and helped me wash my hair. I was very unsteady and wobbling and stumbling all over, but it really felt good. The 2nd day after surgery I took my shower by myself, with DH in the hospital room. The nurses and DH would call in to me every few minutes to see if I was OK. I had 44 or so staples and visible stitches with a hip to hip incision. They just said to rinse it carefully and pat it dry.

I did end up with an infection on my incision at day 6, but the plastic surgeon said showering or not has nothing to do with it-the hospital is full of germs and people.
Initially the doc said not to use antibiotic soaps, but after I got the infection he said to use them under his instructions.

The good things about the incisions is that they heal. Mine is just a thin pink line now-although it turns purplish after a shower.
's

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register