3 weeks out, how does everyone feel | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks out, how does everyone feel 3 weeks out, how does everyone feel

Unread 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
3 weeks out, how does everyone feel

Surgery was 12/27 so I am almost 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery. I honestly expected first 10 days to be tough, but I thought I would be feeling better by now. My belly still very much hurts, does everyone elses at this points. I am tired & do not lie down during the day, & night is another story. Fix myself, fix my pillows, toss, turn, & still not comfortable & still not sleeping well. i end up sleeping on sofa more than in bed. I think first week or so I saw a little inprovement each day, now I do not see improvement from day to day. went to a store sat & could not wait to get to the card, do not seem weak but hurts to walk any distance. Am I expecting too much. I have vertical incision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 03:32 PM

Hi I am 3 weeks today and feeling almost like you. I have started getting irritable because I can't see much improvement. Was up a lot last night with stomach ache and finally with the help of prunes got some relief. Also hot flashes at night and constant waking up drives me nuts. Suffering backache and upper buttocks pain maybe from laying in recliner too much, don't know. Hope we both can hang in there and see improvement soon. Also so easily to get ill with someone. Can't take hormones due to heart attack a year ago.
Unread 01-19-2005, 08:13 PM
3 weeks

I just grab some sleep whenever I can because if I can sleep then it is night sweats. Dr says they may wear off, we will see, sometimes I think they are better than boom. I get discouraged as I thought the hurting would be some better by now & yesterday & today I think I hurt almost as bad as first week. I am trying to hang in there & everyone says it will get better, but WHEN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 08:34 PM

I am just over 3 weeks post op LAVH. I can't sleep and have crying bouts. I feel pretty good physically but emotionally I feel sad. I have a HRT patch...will things calm down and be normal?
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:51 PM

Three weeks here too - horizontal incision.... had a few complications, etc. etc. etc. but no HRT (lone ovary holding down the hormone fort at present).

I thought I was well enough to go into the office yesterday for a meeting - ended up spending about 5 hours sitting up - what a mistake! Today feels as sore as end of first week home. This is not like any previous surgery I've had, and I am trying to lower my expectations. At 38, I expect my energy to rebound like it did when I was 28 - joke's on me!

Anyone else still on pain meds? I am taking darvocette a few times daily, and worry that the supply is running low! I am also on detrol for bladder spasms (stent in place), and Bextra for inflammation (works on arthritis too which is a bonus).

My BRAIN is ready to be done with this, but I think I've got a few more weeks of pillows to go. Soon, however, the furniture will begin talking back and then I will need to add a whole new assortment of medications to my mix. I am also having trouble sleeping, but it is the "squirrel brain" and discomfort from the retractors (compressed my femoral nerve) that are keeping me up (apparently no meds or home remedies for that particular pleasure).

I am also cleaning the house in my mind, and being ever so disappointed when the effort doesn't materialize in reality. Today I called a cleaning service and they are coming tomorrow to give me a quote - at least then I can watch the house be dusted, the take-out containers bagged and taken outside to the trash bin, the floors swept, vases of dead flowers removed, the bathroom sparkled... it really isn't in the budget, but I think at this point it is preventive medicine.

Good luck fellow three-weekers!
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:09 AM

smfor,

I had a TAH on December 30th and your story sounds so familiar... I expected to be feeling better at this point and don't see much improvement. I wrote in a previous post that I can only describe the pain in my stomach as if someone used it as a punching bag... it is so sore. I also have trouble finding a good sleeping position and found that if I sleep with a pillow next to my stomach it helps to reduce the pain. This 3 week point is so very frustrating... everyone (including me) thinks I should be feeling better by now, but it is just not happening... I hope to get back to my normal self soon... the pains and discomfort and constant fatigue is so wearing... I want to be able to start really cleaning my house again without practically fainting afterwards, and walk through a store for more than 10 minutes at a time, without feeling like I am going to pass out.
I wish all of us 3 weekers (and everyone else) a speedy recovery and I hope for us all that it starts getting better from now on.
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:30 AM
Post-Op Expectations

Don't give up hope! You will be amazed at how much things change in a weeks time. I am 4 weeks TAH post-op and just last week felt exactly as you are. This week is much better. Of course there are better days than others, but that's to be expected. The night sweats have left, the headaches seem to be staying away now, the lower back-ache isn't quite as bad, and I'm not quite feeling as much like a punching bag as last week. But keep in mind that everyone's body is different, so recovery may be different too.

At 4 weeks I'm finding that my biggest issue is sleep. I haven't heard when that issue finally goes away, but I hope it's soon.

I know it's tough to wait it out...I'm not one to usually sit still either, but it WILL get better.. Keep looking forward to tomorrow!

Wishing You A Speedy Recovery!, Cndrella
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:17 AM
thanks

cndrella,

Thanks for the words of encouragement. They really mean so much. I am hoping to be feeling as well as you are soon...

p.s. I noticed you are from Maine... I was born in Lewiston myself. All of my family is still back there. I have been in Phoenix since age 8... still haven't gotten used to the summers. :burning:
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Recovery

It's amazing how fast recovery time seems to fly by. Especially once you start feeling a little better. Before you know it, you'll wish you had another 6 weeks to relax. Although recovery has not been exactly as I pictured it either. I think there have been just too many peas in this Princess's bed!

Keep the Faith! All things work for the best when you remember who's in charge of it all!

God Bless, Cndrella

P.S. Lanie, the great thing about living in Maine at this time of year and having this surgery.....the "NO SHOVELING" requirement!!
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:39 PM

whewwww its good to know all this pain is normal... 3weeks had surgery dec 27th ... still rest alot.... the recliner kills my back its hard to get comfy with all the pillows...i tore two discs in my lower back 2months ago so all this rest is not helping... I get up and pace from one end of house to other several times even though it seems to wipe me out afterwards,,,,,napytime..... i know i feel a whole lot better than week one... lets all hang in there....much healing to us all.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register