Climara patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Climara patch Climara patch

Unread 01-19-2005, 09:02 PM
Climara patch

I'm 9 weeks out and I thought I could fight off the night sweats by taking the natural route but, alas, they became so bad that I ended up going to my doctor and begging for something. She gave me the Climara patch a week ago and I haven't had a hot flash since. It's great but I'm disappointed that I couldn't do it using herbs.
Anyone else using this patch? How do you know when you don't need it anymore and how long do you have to wear them? Months or years?

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 10:06 PM
Climara patch

hi mary (peanut03),
feb 11 i will be going in for part 2 of my hyst. i've been doing alot of reading about surgical menopause can you give me more info about the climara patch, i havent heard anything about it. is it available in the us, does it work, etc. any info would be grrrreat! thank you
s
angel
Unread 01-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Climara patch

I was told that I would need hrt until I naturally would've gone into menopause - that's about 5-10 years away for me. Climara worked well but my skin couldn't handle the generic version (estradiol patch). The generic patch was huge, trapped water, caused bleeding sores, kept falling off, and smelled awful after 7 days... The brand name Climara was much better but my insurance only covers a portion and it's expensive. The DR gave me 6 Climara patches (samples) to try at first.
Now, I've just switched to oral Premarin... it may take some time to figure out what works for you.. good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Climara patch

I've been using the Climara patch for almost a year. Started using a dosage of .5 and I cut them in half to see if the lower dose would make a difference. I didn't notice any and told my doctor. She made my next refills for .25 mg and they seem to work fine.

She told me to wear them for a couple of years and would probably stop when I would have reached menopause (I'm 49 now).

The pharmacy did not recommend using the generic version-- said they did not stick. The Climara really does adhere to the skin even when wet. The worst part is all the lint that catches around the patch. It looks pretty grungy after the first day.

Oh-- check out the climara.com site. Once you sign up you are eligible for a $15 rebate after you send in the tops of 3 boxes. This isn't a one-time deal; you can keep sending in rebates after you've accumulated 3 boxes.
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:04 AM
Climara patch

I've been using Climara since November of last year. I have to say that it works wonders at first. I'm on the highest dosage of .1 and feel really good about it.

At first it worked like a miracle, but now it seems to be allowing me to have some hot flashes and night sweats. Regardless, it is so much better than it was before I was on the patch. I also tried the herbal route at first, and after my first week on the patch I was sold with hrt.

Occassionally my patch will fall off in the shower a day or two early, but other than that, I have no complaints.
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Climara patch

Hi Mary

You might feel better knowing that Climara is one of the bio-identical estrogen patches, which means the estrogen is made to be a duplicate of what your ovaries made. You can read more in this link to the article about bio-identical estrogens.

How long to use it depends on you and your doctor. My doctor has told me I can stay on hormone replacement for life if I want. We review my use of it annually. I plan to stay on it until at least a more natural menopause age.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:11 AM
Climara patch

I was put on the Climara patch .5 at two weeks post op. No more hot flashes or night sweats. I'm going to ask my Dr. if I can try the .25 dose though. I tried going off the patch but the flashes and sweats beat me down.

I get my exercise at Curves. They have a new herbal product for women going through menopause. They wrote information about it on their whiteboard. It really upset me because they said HRT causes lots of health problems including stroke and other things. I don't think it's right of them to put that up there for those of us on HRT to read just to sell their product.

Teresa
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Climara patch

I'm on .6 with my patch. That seems high so I'm going to ask to be lowered, too. My flashes and sweats are gone as well. What a relief to be able to sleep at night!

Is that how you can tell if you don't need the patch anymore? You go off it and if the sweats and flashes come back, you know you still need it? So, if you go off it and nothing comes back, you're done...right?
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Climara patch

My doc had the Climara patch put on me the night after surgery. I have not had ANY symptoms of surgical menopause whatsoever - no hot flashes, no night sweats. I am on 0.6 right now. It seems to be working, so I'll stick with it for now. He did not tell me how long I will need to stay on them - we will probably talk about that at my 6 week visit.

One thing I do notice, I get a headache when I first put on a new patch. I have put 2 new ones on and each time, within a couple hours, I have a headache. I will be letting my doc know that.
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Climara patch

(((Teresa))), do keep in mind that natural menopause is much, much different that surgical menopause. You are replacing the estrogen no longer made by your ovaries rather than supplementing it--there's a huge difference.

You can review your use of hormone replacement with your doctor as the need arises but don't feel you should be pressured to go off without doing your own research based on your circumstances.

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register