Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction? Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction?

Unread 01-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction?

I really have a silly question....

Brain Fog. I see it gets mentioned here from time to time. I also see that I get it.... a lot. Now, where was I going with this?? Just kidding.

Is it something that REALLY does happen to us all, or is it just Fiction? I really am starting to think I am loosing my mind. I will go to ask someone something, and the just draw a blank. I look like a blundering idiot. One minute I am fine, and the next I have no idea what point I was trying to make, or what I was going to ask or say. It is BAD.

I have taken to writing down everything of any importance that I need to say if it will be more than a few minutes before I speak to that person.

Is it just me, was it due to surgery (like the anestesia?).. or now that I am in surgical menopause? Any ideas?

I am starting to feel like I have misplaced my mind. I have no idea where it went.

Thanks much,

Andi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 09:44 PM
I feel the brain fog to!

I know what you mean about the brain fog. I had a TAH--took ovaries and cervix too--on 12/8/04. I had experience the brain fog from time to time prior to my surgery---but I feel it is happening more frequently post-op. I had my 6 week checkup today. My kind----and I might add attractive--Doctor says I am healed and ready to return to work next week. I am still having sleeping difficulties----really my only complaint now. Either I can't get to sleep at night---or I wake in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I think this might be causing my frequent brain fog----how are you sleeping?
Unread 01-19-2005, 09:48 PM

((((((((Andi)))))))) You are no more crazier than the rest of us...I think the majority of us suffer brain fog...And yes, there are many times in a day I open my mouth to speak important things, and just sit there, mouth hanging open while my family just roars with laughter....DH made some remark tonite about me ever being sane again... Mind you, you can use this to your advantage...Example in point:
DH: "Honey, did you iron my shirt?"
You: "Ummm, no I forgot!"
DH: Well did you get those things I asked from the store?"
You "Ummm, sorry I forgot!!"

It really does work to get out of some things..hehe Yes, I am evil. I am also the one who had convinced my DS that I could never ever vacuum again as long as I lived...Sadly I took pity on the dust bunnies....

Apparently it does go away with time. I am four months almost, and am waiting patiently, I go back to school in May and am almost positive they did a lobotomy on me as well...I need a brain to do my school!!
Hugs to you
Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Me Too!!! I bought 4 books to read during my recup time. Now I'm going back to work and didn't read one of them. I couldn't concentrate long enough. I have never felt so spacey. I'm usually ultraorganized and a big multi-tasker. Nope, not now. I'm lucky if I can accomplish one thing each day. I'm blaming it on sleep deprivation. (Since I'm exhausted and it is 1:00 am and I can't sleep.) I think it is because I finally have hormones back in my system afer years of ovarian cysts. ??? Good Luck to you too!
Shelley
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Brain Fog

It must be an epidemic. I'm 4 weeks post-op and although I've read that the anesthia can cause some brain fog, I really think that mine is more from sleep deprivation. I'd love to know when the sleeping issues go away. I took sleeping medication prior to surgery, but it no longer seems to be working.

I couldn't help but laugh at using this "Fog" intentionally to get out of something. It's sorta like being able to blame it on an invisible friend! LOL! For every cloud there really IS a silver lining!

Hopefully we won't be walking around with our heads in the clouds forever. I thought I had escaped the stereotypical "blonde" syndrome....until now...

God Bless, Cndrella
Unread 01-20-2005, 03:57 AM

My brain fog seems to be getting better, its either that or I forget it happens

My DH looks at me with pity when we have a conversation. When he gets to the end of a sentance of import I look at him blankly and say 'Huh?'
The poor man ends up repeating the whole thing before I get it.
I go to the shop and stand at the end of an ailse and I know I want something from there, but darned if I can remember what it is, and I forgot the list I put together not half an hour before I left the flat/apartment.
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:08 AM

I had a lot of brain fog before surgery. DH would just stare at me and so "what" apparantly I would be talking and just stop mid sentence not having a clue what I was talking about. At work I would have some papers in my hand, take something else out or answer the phone and then couldn't find the paper I had, and mind you, I never left my desk so I knew it had to be there but I couldn't find it for at least 20 minutes. This was driving me crazy for months.
I too thought I would read so much after the surgery but I would read and when I went to turn the page I couldn't remember what I had read ! One of the sisters suggested crosswords. You don't have to remember anything but the one one word you are working on at the time. this helped me feel better and exercise my brain. Yesterday I actually was able to read an whole chapter in a book. I'm 5 weeks today.
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:17 AM

My DH calls me "Lucy".....so now when I 'forget' or have a briain fart, I'll say...."Ricky" and he'll say...."yes Lucy?"

I hope it's going to get better and it's not just age creeping up on me!!
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:28 AM

Ditto to all of the above.

I answered the phone at work yesterday....

"good morning........(forgot the name of the firm)........uh..I know this one, honestly"

Thank goodness it was someone with a sense of humor (law doesn't tend to contain a sense of humor)

DH has given up on having any real conversations at this point, I think. My two DS's and one DD think it's very funny when in mid sentence I just give them a blank stare.

At least I don't have to cook. They're afraid to let me near the stove! (chuckle)

Here's to selective brain fog ;-)
Unread 01-20-2005, 06:31 AM

I know what you ladies are talking about!

I don't think I have even watched one full TV show! Football, which I love, seems a blurr - who'sl in the playoffs???? The magazines I had from the hospital are still around here someplace,unread.

I used to be up at about 6:00 am, now I'm lucky to be up at 9:00. I did get up at 4:00 today because My DH had to go out of town, and left early.

Maybe I need to make myself get into a routine. I'm going to be in a lot of trouble when I go have to go back to work. Maybe I'm just being lazy and have an excuse to be. This is the first time in 15 years that I have had this much free time.

Oh well, I guess this too will pass! Take care!

TAH on December 13, 2004

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register