Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction? Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction?

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Brain Fog, Fact or Fiction?

luvmabug,
I too decided I needed a routine to get myself prepared for going back to work. I wrote out a nice but relatively easy schedule of realistic activities for the day. It has sat here on the table for a week. All the activities are enjoyable and easy but I can't get back in a routine even a fun one! Each day I do one but then never get to the next. How on earth am I going to get myself out the door to go to work soon????
I was looking forward to feeling better before I had to go back to work so I could get some things done but Idon't know whether its just that my body and my mind are not yet on the same page or am I getting lazy--eeks, my mother drilled into my head many many years ago that that is the worst thing anyone could ever say about you.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 08:09 AM

Oh, my! I'm not sure if I should "be afraid, be very afraid" or just laugh my head off.

I too was foggy before my surgery. It's been a week. I also haven't been able to read. Just been flipping through the Feb. edition of "Oprah". Can stop to read......

However, some of my fellow princesses are still having trouble several weeks post-op! Oh my.
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:35 AM

Harley-cat,
Convinced you DS that you could never vacuum again , ever!!! That is so great!! I love it!!!! Too bad they do eventually catch on, huh.
I am finally feeling the fog lift after 6 months, can you believe it? It has been rough though. I had left the job I had before surgery, so I took a part-time job during Christmas before getting back into an office. The job was portrait photography. I would get a group of kids and not remember thier names for all the money in the world. I noticed that and tried to remedy it by calling them cute names like butterfly and ladybug etc. After accidentely calling a boy butterfly, I realized that wouldn't work either. I start a new state admin job in Feb., hopefully I will have together enough to not call my new boss ladybug!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 08:48 AM

My kids had a ball with this one. I'm a year and a half and still have it on occasion. The first 6-8 months were pretty interesting to say the least. My DD was helping me do dishes and get the kitchen cleaned up after supper. Our trash can is right next to our clothes chute to the laundry room. I managed to throw some garbage down the clothes chute and the plate and fork in the garbage. I bypassed the dishwasher altogether. My DD was basically rolling on the floor. She had to let everyone know for the next two weeks how dumb I was. Oh, well. Things do get better and I my only problem now is getting from point A to point B and remember what I when there for.
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:04 AM

Harleykat,
I'm with you---- I think the restriction on vacumming should never be lifted!
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:09 PM

Whew. I am so glad I am not the only foggy one!! I will have to take up using fog for a reason that I did not get something done. DH will LOVE that. LOL.

I really have to stop and think all the time. Why am I here, what did I come in here for? Where did I put that?? (had my glasses IN MY HAND and could not find them for love or money!!) I tried to talk to my Mom about it, and she said "good, now you know what I feel like". She was kidding. But I was thinking... I am 1/2 her age!! How can I be loosing my mind so SOON. agghhh.

I also get lots of head aches. Maybe it is from the ovary loss... or after surgery when they don't work so well. I don't know. But it better end soon. I did remember to throw dinner in the crock pot, and I have turned to making notes all over the house. I am usually a post it note kind of person... and today I pulled out the last one to write a note to remember to call my MIL and I about cried. Only because I know I will NEVER remember to buy MORE post it notes, and I have no notes left to write this on, and I can't live lately with out my notes.

Now we will all be naked (cuz I forgot to do the laundry), Hungry (because I forgot to make dinner, or get something out of the freezer) and dirty (because I forgot to remind everyone to shower)... and tired (because I forgot to remind everyone of their bed times). I guess we are up the creek now! LOL

Andi
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:21 PM

Andi,
I am driving my family crazy with all my post it notes. There is very little space on walls and doors in our house that I have not put post its to remind everyone what to do.I have to write it down so I don't forget BUT they all tell me they don't have the memory problem I do and they don't need the notes, but I'm sure they wouldn't do any thing without the notes. I think they just want to have an excuse not to do everything! I don't know what I'll do if I runout of post its!!!!! Better add them to the list of essentials we tell the new sisters to stock up on before their surgery!
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:32 PM

that is a great idea! Yes, they should know about post it notes. LOL. I am just shocked at the notes I have all over. My kids don't seem to remember much more than I do, as I was still all over the 8 year old this morning to brush his teeth and pick up his dirty clothes and make his bed and all that. It is an every day thing.... yet he can't seem to remember. But when I can't remember something... they think it is a riot.

Like I forgot to pick up DH's computer last night at the shop. LIke I am going to remember that!! He's lucky I remembered to pick up the kids from school, let alone remember HIS 2nd computer! It's not like he doesn't have another one! GRRRR. It just kills me.

LOL

Andi
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:40 PM

I love these posts on the "fog" subject! We're all in the same boat... together. I didn't have my ovaries removed so I'm not experiencing the hormone issue, however I am experiencing brain fog. It's amazing to me that I can sit and watch TV and be thinking about NOTHING else. I'm the type of person whose mind used to have thoughts running around all the time. You know, the kind of person who can't shut off their brain in order to be able to go to sleep. Well, right now, there are seldom thoughts running through my head. I'm not sure why it's happening... my husband thinks it might be because I'm focused on taking care of myself right now and not letting other things and thoughts interfering in that. I know that I'm no where near ready to go back to work. I'm going to work from home before I return to the office, but right now I'm feeling like I couldn't care less what is going on in the office (again, totally unlike me).

I think I'm going to take this time to just give my body and brain a rest..... it actually feels kind of nice! I think we all know we need to take at easy and let our bodies heal.... maybe brain fog is our body's way of making sure we take care of ourselves!
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:47 PM

Andi,
I just noticed that your surgery was 3 days before mine! I got a call today from disability insurance that I'm to go back towork on the 7th of February. I'm not sure if my body will be ready but I hope my brain gets in gear by then.
Gigi,
I can relate to you 100%, what happpened to that overwhelming stream of thoughts that ran through my head? I couldn't bear the idea of being out of work and now I'm hard pressed to think about it. Will this last?

A couple of weeks ago there was a thread that talked about how people thought their lives would change after surgery. I think i'll go look that up again, it was good but Idon't remember what everyone said!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register