PET/CT scan results | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PET/CT scan results PET/CT scan results

Unread 01-20-2005, 05:06 AM
PET/CT scan results

were supposed to be coming in two weeks (Mon Jan 24th). I went for the scan on Monday the 10th. As you can imagine I've been on pins and needles. I have been very positive though since my CA is normal.My major problems these days is fatigue, low energy and pains on/off in the abdominal/pelvic region. Since I was expecting results this coming week I was a little surprised when the hospital called me yesterday to say that I have to go in this Friday (tomorrow) to redo a section of the scan. I asked if anything was wrong and they told me they couldn't give me that information. All she said was that they had to redo a section from the liver to the stomach and I needed to take a liquid laxative this morning (that I got from the pharmacy yesterday night). They didn't tell me to do that last week -just fasting for 8 hours before test. I did take the barium contrast along with the radioactive glucose injection. I'm sure everything is fine -they need to redo it because it's not a clear image BUT couldn't they tell me this two weeks ago? I have to retake the barium tomorrow along with the glucose injection -I wonder if I now have to wait ANOTHER two weeks for results. Do you think my doctor would have some results to give me or should I wait? I have had PET scans before and have had to redo some part due to having a full bladder -but they did it immediately on the same day. This is my first PET/CT scan -has anyone had that experience? I keep telling myself everything is fine -I don't want this "cancerhead" !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi Maxime

I was wondering how you were doing so glad to hear from you but sorry you are going through this long drawn out process. I have had one PET/CT Scan but didnt have to go back. I do remember being told that i have to keep perfectly still as otherwise it might not be a perfect image. So maybe you just moved very slightly and a small area needs to be redone. Did they tell you that it wasnt a clear image? There is no harm in calling your doctor to ask what the problem is. I would do that. The good news is that your CA125 is normal so try to focus on that. I know its easier said than done. I had the worst case of cancerhead i have ever had these last few weeks so i know what you are going through. Good luck tomorrow and let us know how you got on.

take care
sheila
Unread 01-20-2005, 05:49 PM
PET/CT scan results

s Maxime

Like Margaret always says: Don't waste a good panic.
But I truly understand your concern. Waiting is hard enough with out these other events thrown in.
Best wishes.

oxoxox karenann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:53 PM
PET/CT scan results

Maxime--

You might try explaining to the doctor that you cannot, absolutely cannot, wait another two weeks. I'll bet he'll be sympathetic, and you may get the results earlier. And I think You are probably right--they are just re-testing because the picture was indistinct. I've had that happen on various tests, and it really didn't amount to anything. Sometimes they tell you right away, and other times they wait until whatever doctor is reading the test is done to tell you. Take a deep breath and keep telling yourself that everything is fine. When I have my worst moments of cancerhead, I remind myself that worrying doesn't empty tomorrow of its troubles, it empties today of its strength. I t helps me to change my focus; maybe it will help you too.

Valarie
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:23 PM
PET/CT scan results

Why did you have to wait 2 weeks the first time? I can't imagine that you would have to wait another 2 weeks! That is just not right. Waiting is THE worst part! When I had my scan done my doctor had the results in 4 days, but I know women who have gotten something called a 'wet read' the same day as the scan. The radialogist will read the scans the day you have them done. He can call your doctor that same day or at least the next day.

If I were you, I would insist on knowing something in less than 2 more weeks! Can you call your doctor and ask them to call the radialogist the day of your scan?

Best wishes to you,
Janie
Unread 01-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Thank you,sisters!

After reading the replies I'm feeling much better about going in this afternoon. I'm sure everything is fine and I won't "waste a good panic"! I did call the doctor (this is the one I went to see for a second opinion), she hasn't gotten any results but she said she would call me as soon as she had anything. She did say it could take up to two weeks because the test is not being done at the hospital where she practices. I will mention to the technician to try to speed things up if possible. In the meantime, I'm taking a deep breath and with all your help, I'm positive that this is just being redone because results were not clear.

Thanks to all.
Unread 01-23-2005, 10:56 PM
PET/CT scan results

Dear Maxime,

I agree with the others. They're probably having you redo it because it just wasn't clear enough to accurately read. I'm so sorry that it will take them so long to get the results to you. I once had to wait a month, and when my doctor called to complain, it turned out that they had simply forgotten to read it. There was some sort of vacation or misunderstanding, or whatever. In any case, he got them to read it within two days.

Two weeks seems like a long time, but don't panic. Do some yoga; it'll make you feel better. (I'm telling this to myself, too!)

Please let us know what the results say. We'll all be waiting. s!
Unread 01-24-2005, 05:04 AM
today is Jan 24

So, Maxime,
Today's the 24th. I've been thinking about you and hoping your results come in and all is well.

Let us know what the doctor says.

s
K9

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register