Diarrhea | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-20-2005, 05:12 AM
Diarrhea

Hi All,

Before my surgery every BM was a nightmare. I could never go without straining whether it was hard or not. I had to do gymnastics on the throne to go. I was real concerned over the operation causing constipation as I knew that I couldn't strain like I was doing before. I took the stool softners and then on the 5'th day I went. Then it started, i ended up with Diarrhea. I stopped the stool softners nad still have it. It only happens after I eat and then I will go a few times in sccession. Has anyone else had Diarrhea after their surgery? I will be going for radiation soon which causes this, so I would like to achieve some normalacy before. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:29 AM
Diarrhea

Sometimes its reassuring to know you're not the only one....
thanks for this post! I've been browsing this site since about two weeks before my surgery and it has really helped but this is my first replay/post on the site.

Its been 11 days since my surgery... I was on a regular diet right from dinner the day of my surgery. My bowels didn't move until 6 days after the surgery and it wasn't fun and was very painful for the next two days! I've had the runs since then. I was concerned that by being so constipated some damage may have been done. I've had incredible pressure in my abdomen which has made the area around my incision very tender as well as giving me a very sore lower back. Now I'm thinking that this is just one more of the little hurdles to get over.

On the plus side the cramps aren't as painful as the constipation was.

I had the opposite problem of you... I have irritable bowel due to fibromyalgia and while having the runs isn't unusual my digestive system is moving much faster than usual.

I think I'll talk to my Dr just to be sure. I gained 6 lbs after the surgery but I've lost 10 lbs since Day 7 and it seems to be still dropping. Since I could still use to drop another 10 its not a major cause for concern yet but I know its not a very healthy way to lose weight!

I expect that he'll tell me that this isn't unusual and probably recommend that I increase my fibre intake (which yes believe it or not can sometimes help). I don't want to take any drugs for it as I don't want to end up the other way.

As each day gets a little better, I'm really looking forward to being more mobile. My next goal is to atleast get dressed.. I'm tired of the nightgown & housecoat but can't even stand to have underwear on yet.

Hang in there... if my Dr gives me any suggestions I'll post them but don't be afraid or embarrassed to talk to your doctor.
Unread 01-20-2005, 07:07 AM
Diarrhea

Oh boy I had the diarrhea it happened right after I left the castle and it lasted about 7 days . every thing I put in my mouth it came out the other end.....

It's gone now and I have been reg. thanks god , still getting those gas pockets that feel like labor ... hopfully they will go away soon!

I am 3 weeks now TAH removed 1 ovary 7 fibroids inside utersu 3 outside ovary had a fibroid attached and it was bend over attaching itself to uterus.

feeling better cant wait til i;m 100%
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Diarrhea

I also had a bout of diarrhea. It happened about 1 week post-op. Everything I ate came out the other end. I had to go to the docs to get out staples and he said to try immodium and if it didnt heelp he gave me a prescription to take.
I had it for about 5 days and it went away on its own. The dr. said for some, it's just part of the recovery, as things have been taken out and moved around down there.
If yours last for more than 3-4 days, I would call your dr. No harm in checking is what I say.
Hope you're feeling better.

~Sherry
Unread 01-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Diarrhea

Could it be the pain meds?
Unread 01-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Diarrhea

I think the pain med stop you up at least thats what I heard
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Diarrhea

Thanks for the replies. With everyone talking about constipation, I thought there was something wrong with me. All the sisters here are sooooo... great
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Diarrhea

Well I too had very loose bowel movements starting day 2 in the castle. I couldnt even go #1 without loosing that too. We seemed to have had surgery the same day and still day they are not solid. I am not having a problem with it seems to make it easier since I am still hurting quiet a bit. I think the pain meds tend to bind up too maybe its the antibiotics.

Misty
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Diarrhea

So glad to see this post!

I had a TAH on 12/6 and didn't have any problems with the first BM - approximately day 6 post-op. I did use Gas-X and stool softener the first week. Everything was the same as normal (prior to the hyst.) until Week 3 to current.

Now, I have very loose stool...and it's small and thinner, more like it belongs to some small animal! LOL. As soon as I get up in the morning and walk several feet, there's gas and a bowel movement. However, I will then go one or two or three more times within the next hour or so. Coffee probably doesn't help but I need my morning Joe!

Yesterday I saw the doctor and asked him about my "far-from clogged" bowels. He said that sometimes this comes along with the surgery but nothing to worry about.

Hmm....
Unread 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Diarrhea

My first BM post castle was diarrhea. That condition hung around for about 4-5 days and then cleared on its own. Yes, everything I ate, goodness, straight to the bathroom. I was so concerned about constipation and I had the opposite problem. I was told it was probably the antibiotics. That makes sense. I too lost three pounds during the ordeal but trust me it comes back and with friends. Good luck!

Maria

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register