adhesions ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-20-2005, 04:43 PM
adhesions ??

can anyone tell me what it feels like when you develope adheasions ?? I have had a burning type pain in my lower right side for a couple of months. It is everyday now.It feels like there is something there, no pain when pressed. I have a dr appt. tomorrow to check this out . I had a total in 2001 and this is the first problem since right after when I had some granulation.
Thanks for any insight !
Lynn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-20-2005, 05:08 PM
adhesions ??

Hi,

I had my hysterectomy in 2002. I had more surgery 7 months ago to remove my right ovary and adhesions.

I was having pain and a "tugging" feeling on my right side. The pain was not a sharp pain, it was a dull, constant pain. The pain got worse if I was active or in certain positions. How adhesions feel for people varies - it can depend on the location of the adhesions and how severe they are.

I am going to soon be having more surgery to remove additional adhesions and have some barriers put in.

Unfortunately our bodies form adhesions after surgery. Adhesions form as a defense mechanism to the trauma and tissue/organ handling that takes place during surgery. The formation process begins before we leave the operating room.

The only way to positively diagnosis adhesions is by having lapraoscopic surgery.

Here are a few sites and information that better describe adhesions; why they develop, treatment options & possible prevention:

What Causes Adhesions?

How Are Adhesions Treated?

You might also want to check out the HysterSister Resources section on Adhesions

Unread 01-20-2005, 10:15 PM
adhesions ??

HI 'S, I EXPERIENCED BURNING, TUGGING, STABBING, SHOOTING, PULLING, THROBBING, CONSTANT PAIN. HOPE THIS HELPS AND ALL GOES WELL AT THE DOC'S
LUV AND S
ANGEL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 07:09 AM
adhesions ??

I think the type pain you have with adhesions may be related to several things, i.e., the severity of the adhesions, where they are attached, whether the adhesion is entrapping nerves, etc. I have a combination of pulling (I don't feel this all the time, though - - only in certain positions) and burning. Over time, my burning pain has gotten much, much better - - my belief is that this is due to the intensive physical therapy I've undergone. Right after my hysterectomy and also right after my adhesion surgery (both were open incisional surgeries) the burning was so uncomfortable I couldn't even rake my fingernail across my belly. It felt like a hot poker. I haven't felt that in a long time. Just my experience. But, again, only laparoscopic surgery can confirm adhesions. Good luck and Hugs . . .
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:49 PM
adhesions ??

My experience with my recurrent adhesion problem is mainly pulling and tugging and tearing with occasional stabbing pain. I agree with panda that I believe it depends on the severity and the location of the adhesions and what organs they are affecting. Burning usually indicates nerve damage so that is probably some nerve intrapment due to the adhesions. I have never had the burning ever in the 3 times they have recurred. My incision lines however have had some burning due to the cutting of the nerves from surgery.
Unread 01-24-2005, 03:01 PM
adhesions ??

Hey Princesses -

I haven't been on much - been feeling pretty good. However, I just had to respond to all of you who are dealing with adhesions.

Some of you may remember that I had Physicial Therapy for adhesions that were giving me so much pain I couldn't sit and do my job for more than 45 minutes at a stretch.

They used a technique called Myofascial Release. I was a bit skeptical at first, but BOY, what a difference!! It is a sort of deep tissue massage, and my doc prescribed it, so it was covered by insurance.

I wish I could have gone for another 3 months, because I haven't kept up with the exercises my PT prescribed, and I can feel the difference.

It was very painful at first, as she broke up the bands of adhesions towards the surface. By the end of my therapy, she was able to go quite a bit deeper, but there is still a lot there.

There are intensive sessions where you go for a week (3x/day and quite expensive). But, some insurances will pay for the intensive session, as I understand it.

If this helps just one , it will have been worth my while. I encourage you to check it out!!

Esme
Unread 01-24-2005, 05:38 PM
adhesions ??

Quote:
They used a technique called Myofascial Release. I was a bit skeptical at first, but BOY, what a difference!! It is a sort of deep tissue massage, and my doc prescribed it, so it was covered by insurance.
I recommend trying this too. I tried this for quite awhile too - I was also fortunate that my insurance covered it. Unfortunately in my case it has not worked - my bowels are not working properly and my pain is becoming unmanageable so I will need more surgery in 3 weeks to remove the adhesions and put some barriers in. I have no regreats about trying the pelvic massage first - I think it is always best to avoid more surgery whenever you can.

If you have alternatives available it is a good idea to check them out.

(((Esme))) Thanks for reminding the "sisters" that sometimes alternatives are available.

s
Unread 01-26-2005, 10:16 AM
thanks to all !

Just a note to thank you all for the info on my question about the adheasions. I had a CT scan done this AM to rule out any other possibilities. Hopefully this will lead to some answers.
Thanks to all of you I know I have some options , of course pending my results.
Thanks again !
Unread 01-26-2005, 03:50 PM
adhesions ??

Lynn,

please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing and what the results of the CT showed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register