Have Endo & RA? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Have Endo & RA? Have Endo & RA?

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Have Endo & RA?

Hello Sisters -

I am three weeks post-op - endometriosis / fibroids.

I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis, another immuno-system problem.

Earlier I talked with another Sister with both Endo and RA - how many of us are there?

Is there a section of hyster sisters that already has this statistical info available?

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity!

Ang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 08:22 PM
Have Endo & RA?

Hi Ang...I don't know what the stats are as to how many sisters might have RA. You could type Rheumatoid Arthritis into the search feature here at Hyster Sisters and find all the posts where it's talked about. You might find some interesting information that way.
Take care!
's
Unread 01-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Have Endo & RA?

Hi there,
I have RA and adeno/ovarian cysts and possible endo/fibroids. I have surgery next Friday. I had to stop taking my Remicade Infusion atleast 2 weeks prior to my surgery (lowers immune even more and you have a greater risk of post op infection). I also had to stop taking Methotrexate atleast 1 week prior (thins blood). I can't go back on those for atleast 3-7 days after surgery. I also take a prescription that is similar to prescription Motrin (2400 mg) for inflammation. My biggest worry is having a huge flare up on top of this. How did you do? I just started feeling bad in joints which I am sure is partly due to the frigid temps (OH) and stress of upcoming surgery, and going off all meds!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Have Endo & RA?

Hi Cakemaker!

Luckily, the pain meds following surgery in the hospital kept the joint pain to a minimum, except in the early AM when the vampires came for bloodwork. They were all annoyed that I couldn't make a fist! But I was able to get back on regular anti-inflam. drugs by day 6 after surgery (first day home) and it has not been too bad. I am not yet off all paid meds related to surgery, though, so we shall see!

Good luck with surgery this week - my favorite advice from the boards was to take the Oral B "Brush Ups" teeth wipes - I couldn't get up to brush my teeth for two whole days! Also - while I did use my robe, with the catheters and drains I didn't wear my own gown once in the castle - in fact, they let me go home in one of theirs! So don't worry about packing too much ....

Ang
Unread 01-23-2005, 05:30 AM
Have Endo & RA?

Ang,
Thanks for the advice of the Oral B Brush Ups! I actually just bought a pack for my teenage son for when he has to go from sports practice to work. I will steal some from him!! I HATE the feeling of unclean teeth and was afraid that I may not be able to get up right away. Great idea!!!!!! Glad to hear you are doing well. I am getting closer and closer...ACK.

Stacey
Unread 01-23-2005, 07:57 AM
Have Endo & RA?

Dear Marischild,

My family isn't positive for RA but does have several immuno-response conditions: celiac (sprue), juvenile onset diabetes, ADD, Chron's disease. It never occurred to me that endometriosis may belong to this immuno cluster. This condition is also in the family.

I would be interested in your research.

Happy healing.

Susan
Unread 01-23-2005, 01:19 PM
Have Endo & RA?

Hi Susan!

There has been a lot of literature published about possible connections, and I think most medical folks accept that Endo is another in the autoimmune list. Apparently Fibroids (myomas) may also be something for which we are genetically prone.

The "Endometriosis Zone" website posts current medical articles and you can even download proceedings at medical conferences. My doc here in Memphis was a facilitator at a recent conference, and it is always reassuring to me to know that our docs are staying on top of the current trends. Did you know there are "centers of excellence" research and treatment hospitals in Europe for Endo? Shame I don't have the resources for that kind of travel!

I am not a doc (don't even play one on T.V. ) but I think someday they will be able to diagnose and treat endo like they do many other auto-immune diseases, and that they will find that all these (RA, etc.) are part of a larger syndrome or complex of conditions that have a common cause.

Right now, just weeks post TAH, I am hopeful that I do not have a recurrence of Endo when I return to treatment programs for RA. Seems that every time my immune system has been monkeyed with, my Endo has run amuck!

Thanks for writing -

Marischild (Ang)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register