driving and baths | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

driving and baths driving and baths

Unread 01-21-2005, 08:13 AM
driving and baths

I need a little help here. My surgery was Dec. 28th - Tues. I went the following Monday to remove my staples - which incidentally my other half thought looked like a zipper - there were so many. Anyway, two days ago I called the Dr and asked about taking a bath - NOT a shower as only a bath can pamper - and was told that I could not take one until at least Feb 8th when I go in for my 6 week post op. OK, so I can actually live with that - well, I guess I have to.. The shocker was when I asked when I could drive and I was told to wait until after the visit to see if I would be allowed!!!!! Has anyone eolse been told to wait 6 weeks?? On the same note, what could/would happen if I did drive? I am going crazy here...

TAH 12/28 Cantalope size fibroid and several others
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 08:59 AM
driving and baths

Being told you can't drive is very frustrating, but probably for a good reason. Either you don't have complete mobility yet, which would make you dangerous on the road, or you still have many stitches needing to heal, which the twisting and turning of driving could make them harder to heal.

Either way, you want to listen to your doctor as he/she knows best what all happened in there. The important thing is to heal right the first time, so you don't have to take longer to recover.
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM
driving and baths

it sounds like a misunderstanding to me. six weeks is a looong time i was driving at day 8, with no problems. my doc said as long as you are not taking pain killers its ok. its up to you when you are ready.

i have read other posts where a dr. had said as long as you can slam on the break and turn and look over your shoulder you can drive. i would call back and clarify this.

jane321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 10:03 AM
driving and baths

my Dr had originally told me I would be driving by 10 days. At 1 weeks he changed his mind to 3 weeks. You might want to check again.

Misty
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:04 AM
driving and baths

When I went for my follow-up with my doctor after 9 days she told me I could start driving then. My surgery was on 1/5 and to be honest I haven't wanted to drive yet. Even though I have permission to drive I don't think I'm ready to drive. My concentration is still not great and I don't want to get behind the wheel of a car and take that responsibility on.

It does seem strange your doctor wants you to wait for 6 weeks, however one of the things I have learned from this website is that doctors do things differently and have wide differences of opinion!
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:07 AM
driving and baths

Yeah, I would check with your doctor again.

I was told 2-3 weeks before you drive. I have never heard of waiting six weeks.
Although, I must say that when I started driving late in my third week, I found getting in and out of the car difficult and exhausting.

Your case may be different though. It wouldn't hurt to check with your doc to make sure you heard right.

Best wishes,

Sarah
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:23 AM
driving and baths

Wow, I find that a long time to wait to drive too. I had my TAH on 12/7 Tuesday and when I went back to the doctors the 16th to have my staples out she told me that I could drive as long as I wasn't taking any pain medication. She also said I was able to take baths as long as I was soaking and not bathing. She did say to take the dryer to the incision so that it would dry out. So, far I have been healing well and seem to have not set back. Maybe you should call and ask your doctor if you understood correctly. Good luck in your recovery.
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:46 AM
driving and baths

I agree with the other ladies....just make certain you didn't misunderstand your doc's instructions on the driving.

I was not cleared to drive for many weeks, due to my developing a seroma and having an open part on my incision. Just as well, cause I didn't mind being chauffered....was so tired, anyway!

Every doc is different. If yours is more conservative than others, choosing to err on the side of safety, then you have a very, very careful doctor. What's the rush, anyway? Most docs are only concerned that you are healed just enough so that normal activities will not undo their handywork, before clearing you to drive. However, your insides are still unhealed for quite some time and vulnerable to trauma.

Sounds like your doc may just be wanting to reduce your risks of being in an accident, until your internal sutured areas are not as vulnerable.

Take care, and heal well...........Deb
Unread 01-21-2005, 12:18 PM
driving and baths

I was told no driving for six weeks as well. I have had three previous abdominal surgeries and tend to develope multiple adhesions. Apparently the twisting and some of the leg movements used when driving can cause the adhesions to form and you are better safe than sorry. You only have one chance to heal properly.
Unread 01-21-2005, 12:35 PM
driving and baths

I broke the rule and drove last week - 2 weeks post op - it was horrible!! It was like too much information for me to comprehend at one time.....I wasn't very focused.....I had not taken any pain meds in two days, so I thought I would be fine. I was sooooo sore after I got back.....(It was a situation in which my DD did not have a ride home and had to be at work in two hours)

My doctor says that your reaction time is impaired after major surgery, but you do not realize it. I tried to drive again yesterday - (not even 1 mile to the grocery store) and I still felt the same way....I turned around and went back home....My doc said 4 weeks before driving......

I posted a thread about the bath thing too.....it stinks...my TAH was on 1/3/05 and I cannot have a bath until after I go to the doc on 2/7 and he approves it.

You should probably just bear with it and do what your doctor says.....I didn't follow my doc's rules and I will not make that error in judgment again....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register