driving and baths - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

driving and baths driving and baths

Unread 01-21-2005, 12:37 PM
driving

I had surgery 12/27 & had staples removed 1/6 & dr said I could drive, if I felt like it, he said listen to your body. I have not driven yet, have really not felt like it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
driving and baths

I was told to wait 2 wks until I could drive which was yesterday and I've had no problem. I can starting walking at the gym in one more week.
Unread 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM
driving and baths

I was told to wait two weeks before driving, the reason being the movement of your legs while driving is partially controlled by the abdominal muscles. I broke the rules a little and drove after 1 1/2 weeks. Not great the first time out, but fine ever since. I think that you really need to talk to the Dr because people at the board have had different types of hysterectomies, different procedures done along with the hysterectomy, and possibly some complications after the surgery. I think that driving is probably a case by case decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 02:29 PM
driving and baths

I am a very "on the go" person...always ...never had to have anyone drive for me since I received my license at 16...when the doctor told me I could not drive for 6 weeks...I thought that was a little far fetched - - - however I had my surgery Sept.15 and was not focused and physically able to drive until November, and even then was a little nervous...I am still on slow recovery and only drive when absolutely necessary and not under any pain pills!
Take it easy - you will know when you are ready...
Like all have mentioned we only have one time to heal!
Unread 01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
driving and baths

i live in england and am shocked you are allowed to drive so early after a major operation. over here it is standard 6 weeks for everyone. i would feel scared to drive any earlier, even 6 weeks is soon.
Wishing you all a very speedy recovery
love sam xxx
Unread 01-27-2005, 08:47 AM
driving and baths

Thank you all for your valuable info!!!!! I called the doc and he did say a minimum of 6 weeks for bath and driving. Seems my surgery was more invasive and extensive than I thought. Honestly, I have only been able to sit in a chair for very short times until these last few days. So, I guess I will "behave".

Thanks to all of you. I will let you know what happens on Feb 8th!
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:15 AM
driving and baths

I saw my GP 2 wks post op and he said no driving and see him in 2 weeks, as my incesion was open in 3 spots. I missed my next apointment with him and went to baby sit for a friend with 2 kids 12 and 17. They live in the country so I have to drive them. I did see my GP last week which was 5 weeks post op, told him I had the kid and dog in the car and was babysitting. He did not say anything so I guess I'm clear to drive. I do not like to do a lot of it, so I try to group things together with the kids.
Unread 01-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Same here

Hello,
I had my TAH on Jan. 12 and was told by my doc not to drive, bathe etc. Long list of " Don't's" I don't know if I can be at home without driving myself somewhere either
Unread 01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
driving after 6 wks

I was told by my dr too not to drive or even ride in a car. I do confess that I did ride in a car before 8 wks, however when I called to see if I could drive to my 6 wk check up, the nurse told me I could drive after 4 wks, just do not do anything strenous, so I did but it was only limited. I just started full time-running the kids to all there destination last week. However, I was just able to take a bath today-8 wks because she said the vaginal area was not completely healed.
Unread 01-27-2005, 07:55 PM
driving and baths

Pre-op my doctor told me I could drive at 1 week but before I left the hospital he told me the first time I could drive was for my 2 week checkup. I had to cheat 1 week post because it was raining and I didn't want my son to stand in the rain at the bus stop for school so I drove him 1/2 block down the street and after the bus came 1/2 block home. When I told the doctor he asked if I thought I could've reacted if a child had jetted out in front of me.

I am normally a shower person but during those 1st few weeks after surgery I craved taking a bath, I guess it was wanting something you know you can't have. Also I'm a swimmer and was missing the pool and thinking that was another reason the bath was so tempting. But I waited it out until my doctor said I could swim and bathe at 4 weeks post.

Cindy
Novasure ablation 5/24/04, SAH, kept ovaries, 11/22/04

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register