low blood pressure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

low blood pressure? low blood pressure?

Unread 01-21-2005, 08:43 AM
low blood pressure?

I have a question. I went in for my six week check up, which went pretty well, by the way. The doctor said I was healing fine inside and that my incision on the outside was finally closing, so if I felt like I could go back to teaching, I was given the green light. (I hope I do okay next week back to work, but that is a whole new post, )

Anyway, my blood pressure was like 92 / 62. This is very low according to the nurse, but I am not sure my doctor even checked that out. I know I have had a few headaches and light dizziness, but I think maybe that is sinuses because it is mainly when I get up in the mornings. I know it was low like this when I was two weeks post op, because the nurse mentioned it to me then. What causes low blood pressure and what do I need to do?

Thanks for your help. You all are awesome. s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 09:40 AM
low blood pressure?

Me again........
Just wondered if any of you are on any vitamins or anything post-op to help with the symptoms mentioned earlier?
Unread 01-21-2005, 09:58 AM
low blood pressure?

What is your blood pressure normally? I know when I was in the hospital right after my surgery my blood pressure was 110/70 (or around there give or take) and that was high for me. The blood pressure you mentioned from your post-op appointment is my regular blood pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 10:01 AM
low blood pressure?

Thanks for replying GigiO.
To answer your question: my normal blood pressure is like 110 / 70. So maybe there is nothing to be alarmed about?
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:08 AM
low blood pressure?

It's difficult to say. If you are concerned I would say give your doctor a call. Especially if you're feeling light-headed. I do know that because I'm feeling better I'm getting up quicker and that is definitely making me feel light-headed. Our bodies have gone through an awful lot we have to take our time. I would say if you're concerned about your blood pressure a quick call into the doctor wouldn't be a bad thing. Also, keep in mind, blood pressure is a snap shot in time.... 10 minutes after you left your appointment your blood pressure could have been 110/70.
Unread 01-21-2005, 01:00 PM
low blood pressure?

I don't know if a significant change in blood pressure, at least in the good direction, should necessarily be a cause for alarm, but I'd ask my Doc.

I have had 90/60 my entire adult life. I have always exercised alot, and as far as I ever knew, it was considered a very healthy blood pressure. Most marathoners have a blood pressure similar to that. After surgery it almost doubled, (not good!) but it's been dropping now about 10 points a week all by itself, no meds. My Doc didn't seem concerned and said it would probably go down, which it did. As of yesterday, it's now 128/60. Still a little out of whack.

Alot of the time when I was very anemic it would drop into the 40's and 50's (bottom number) and I had to get up VERY slowly.

Good luck getting back to your teaching next week - let us know how that goes!

joano
Unread 01-21-2005, 01:38 PM
low blood pressure?

unless you're symptomatic the low blood pressure isnt cause for alarm. the most common symptom of low blood pressure is dizziness upon rising from a sitting or lying position. Its best to sit on the side of the bed/chair for a moment to let the blood pressure even out before standing up. Fatigue is also a symptom of low blood pressure.
Another thing to consider is that blood pressure changes from minute to minute so what the nurse got as a reading is probably not what your blood pressure is during the rest of the day.
And the other thing to consider is that the most common reason for an abnormal blood pressure reading (abnormal meaning that its not normal for the particular patient) is operator error. Blood pressure should be taken in an upright sitting position, and should also be taken in both arms, by both the nurse and the Dr.
Unread 01-21-2005, 01:45 PM
low blood pressure?

I think it's true that surgery stresses the body in unusual ways, and found that I, too, had blood pressure similar to the one in the beginning post at one point while I was in the hospital. This was noticeably lower than my normal.

Getting enough water in your system on a daily basis is important for keeping the blood pressure where it should be if it tends to be too low. Are you drinking enough water? Also, while you are having the lower blood pressure, take it easy getting out of bed --too quick of a change in positions can cause lightheadedness when bp is lower.

Hope this helps!
Unread 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM
low blood pressure?

My normal blood pressure is low, too. I've never had any problems with it and usually feel fine. Although I did have a nurse ask me once if I was sure I was alive . . . .
Unread 01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
low blood pressure?

Hi, I'm also dealing with low blood pressure 90 over 33. I had three units of blood after my surgery. I've been very dizzy and light headed so I went to the doctor and had blood work done. He said this is the best my blood has looked in years. Can't figure out why my pressure is so low. He just said that I have had very major surgery, lost alot of blood and it will take time for things to equal out. He also said drink lots of water, rise up slowly, and listen to my body. If I feel tired, rest and don't feel guilty about it. He was great because he told this to my husband and kids. You go doc!!!!

Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register