adhesions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-21-2005, 02:44 PM
adhesions

Hi sisters,

I have a question about adhesions. How do you know if you have on? How can the doctor tell if you have one? Is it found through a medical procedure or internal exam.

Just wondering ... thanks

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 02:47 PM
adhesions

Hi Susan. I had SEVERE adhesions before my TAH. I've had them since I was about 19 years old. I had constant pelvic pain and it was painful with an external exam. When I had my TAH my Doc found that my entire pelvic floor was covered with them along with the outside of uterus. My appendix was adhered to my bladder with them also. The Doc first discovered them through laporscopic surgery back when I was 24. I don't believe that they're detected any other way.

Hope this helps!

's,
Carrie
Unread 01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
adhesions

Thanks for your reply.

I'm just 7 days postop and very sore which I know is normal.

However, I have read that if you try to do too much too soon you can get adhesions. I just wanted to know how one would be able to tell the difference between routine pain and an adhesion.

Susan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 03:08 PM
adhesions

Hi Susan,
I too have adhesions...i have been researching and have found that they are from surgeries, Endometriosis or infections.
One of my adhesions was attaching my appendix to my intestinal wall...this was found on a LAP back in 1996...however my current doctor that I have now...informed me of of this information from my medical records from 96 - - - when my doc now performed a LAP in July 04 he found that specific adhesion as well as more adhesions. The doctor back then told me everything was normal! So this right sided lower quad pain I have had for years - that all the docs were saying was in my head...were due to adhesions.

Sorry, got lost on a tangent there...my doctor seems to think my scar tissue on that side was from acute appendicitis that I may have had without knowing it!

The only way they can diagnose adhesions is through a Laporoscopy they do not show up on CT Scans, or MRI's.
Unfortunately.

Hope this info helps! Sorry that it was a venting reply! I must have needed to get that out!

Rest! Feel better!
Unread 01-21-2005, 03:18 PM
adhesions

Michelle0908

I have had more pain on the lower right side than anywhere else. When I asked my doctor why it hurt more on my right side she said that everything was stuck together on that side and that she "tied" everything off on that side. I keep wondering if at 7 days post op the pain on my right side is "normal" or not.

Susan
Unread 01-21-2005, 03:23 PM
adhesions

Do you know what she meant by tied off & stuck together?
Unread 01-21-2005, 03:49 PM
adhesions

Hi Susan,

I know what you mean! How do we know if the pain is normal surgery pain or adhesions? Tell ya what, I decided that I could do nothing about either, so I stopped worrying.
I asked for adhesion prevention treatment while on the table but my doctor said it wouldn't do any good. I didn't agree with that, but after asking a second time...i gave up.
So then, my question to my doctor was...when I think I feel adhesion pain what do I do? " do I curl up and protect it or try to stretch it out." She told me while healing...first 6 weeks (TAH) to be careful not to overdo anything. If I stretch out the pain, I could be tearing something.
We all have adhesions as it's the manner in which our bodies heal. I had adhesions, with no previous surgeries or infections that I was aware of. If we're lucky we don't feel them. If we're still lucky we feel them burn out and never feel them again. Others, are plagued with them.
A lap can see adhesions, but guess what?...you got it, a lap also causes more adhesions!!
Try not to worry...just breathe deeply and heal well.
Maralyn
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:04 PM
adhesions

Hi Marily,

Sorry, don't mean to sound like a cry baby. It just hurts really bad on my right side and didn't know what to make of it. I guess I'll just take my pain meds and sleep through it for the next few days. LOL

Talk to you soon
Susan
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:11 PM
adhesions

Oh Susan........it does hurt!! And you were just asking a question not crying. You should have seen this old lady the first 3 weeks. I was on line ing all day!!!!

Take your meds, rest, and walk gently every few hours. I also had one side hurt more than the other. Seems something was worse on the inside in that one spot. Same with you. If you get your surgery report you can read all about it.

You take care....this too will pass, slowly, but it will.

Maralyn
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:24 PM
adhesions

Dear Maralyn,

I asked for my surgical report and the pathology report. I was told that they will be mailed to me.

I am thankful for this site. If I hadn't read that we could get those reports I never would have known.

I'm looking forward to finding out exactly what was done. I took many precautions prior to surgery because of a bleeding disorder. I went through 12 weeks of IV iron infusions.

I still ended up needing 3 units of blood which they had a hard time getting into me because my veins kept collapsing.

Today my doctor said she still didn't like my color and sent me for more blood work. She also ordered 5 more IV iron infusions. However, I can't begin those treatments until my arms heal up. They are red and swollen from all the time I was stuck with needles over the past six days.

Sorry to whine, it's just been a long road and I'm trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again
Susan

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register