Oh, how I missed this site!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oh, how I missed this site!! Oh, how I missed this site!!

Unread 01-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Oh, how I missed this site!!

My stupid computer got a virus, well ok, multiple viruses. Now several weeks later I can finally get back online! I don't post much but I read all the posts for helpful tips.

Ok, so I had massive swelly belly immediatley post op and for the first two weeks. I am not very tall (5' 4") so my swelling went all the way up to just below my ribs! That was absolute misery. Now I am almost 5 weeks post op. I have resorted to using an ice pack (that my kids take in their lunch boxes). I found out if I wear snug-not tight- underwear I can wrap the ice pack in a washcloth and stick it down the front of my undies to rest on my belly. Yes it completely grossed my kids out to use their icepack, but I informed them it would become mommy's and I wrote my name on it.

Just a small tip for when you are up and on the go and can't sit with an ice pack on the recliner watching tv like everyone tells you you're supposed to do. Get real! I have chores to do

Oh, and has anyone used any type of tummy control garment when you returned to work? I am a nurse and on my feet most of the day. I go back in a little over a week, and now just being up on my feet for two hours is a recipe for massive swelly belly. I just wondered if keeping some compression on the area would help control the inevitable swelling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Hi!

Glad to hear you're back online and in touch with the sisters! Your tip about the icepacks is a great one. It shows amazing resourcefulness!

About the compression to help control swelly belly. I'm a fourth grade teacher and spend most of the day on my feet. I went back to school four weeks after a TAH/BSO, and it was at the very beginning of a new school year in an unairconditioned classroom. I wore my surgical binder and it was truly a blessing! I'd bought a few panty girdles, but they were too tight after a few hours. The binder could be adjusted for just the right amount of snugness. If you want to, you could even throw one of your kids' icepacks inside for extra comfort!
Unread 01-21-2005, 04:03 PM

Oh don't you just hate it when that happens?!!!
Well, back!

I'm at 7 weeks and have found nothing that prevents swelly belly or even prolongs it from hurting. It seems staying off my feet makes it feel alot better. (how can a person do this?)Sometimes a nice slow continuous walk stretching out the legs makes me feel better, but by 4 pm most days...it's aching. It is less bothersome however, every week that passes.

I tried snuggled clothing.........couldn't tolerate it after a few hours. The swelling is fluid so compressing it didn't work for me, but, Motrin does help me every 4 hours.

Good luck with this, and THANK YOU so much for being a .

Maralyn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register