12 year old can't swallow pills.... - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 year old can't swallow pills.... 12 year old can't swallow pills....

Unread 02-05-2005, 12:02 AM
12 year old can't swallow pills....

Thanks sisters!

Just to update you, we tried the straw method and it didn't work for her.

We will keep trying....one day it will happen.

Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2005, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by CAS29
I still can't swallow pills. I know it is just a mental block, but I gag something fierce.

What I do is take a mouthful of water, tip my head back, drop the pill in and swallow.

works all the time.
This is exactly what I do... It also helps to take them with something warm, tea, coffee, hot chocolate... I seem to have an easier time swallowing warm drinks. Also try having her take a small drink before she even tries to take the pills... That way they don't stick to her tongue!!! I wasn't able to get a pill down until 5 years ago and since I found these methods, I'm even able to take the giant horse pills!

Hope this helps!
Unread 02-07-2005, 04:03 PM

My DD still has a hard time with pills to this day. For over the counter meds, Excedrin does have a chewable, adult vitamins do also (I also saw that Caltrate has 600mg chewable calcium supplement now).

What seems to work for her is taking her pill with a piece of candy. My Great-Aunt always did this. You chew your candy - chocolate - and just when you are about to swallow it, put the pill in your mouth. You don't ever taste the pill and it makes it go down easier. Now she takes her pills with some kind of food. No matter what she does, she can't swallow the pill with liquid. My DS has trouble with pills too, but not quite as bad.

Hope this helps. Like others have said, it's hard to do for some people. Sometimes I still have trouble with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2005, 01:57 PM

I am glad I checked this thread!! My 17 year old has the mental block thing and still cannot swallow a pill. We try to get medicines in capsule form - she pours the contents into orange juice and drinks it. (per doctor's ok) Otherwise, its liquid or crushing pills....I always get the okay from the doctor, because sometimes crushing pills is not safe.

I had the same problem, but grew out of it around the age of twelve....my grandfather, now deceased, couldn't swallow a pill his whole life - It was a major ordeal every time he had to take his meds in the nursing home!

I am going to try some of your suggestions.....maybe my DD will have luck with the straw thing!!
Unread 02-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Smile - 12 year old can't swallow pills.... 12 year old can't swallow pills....

Until a four months ago my 8 year old couldn't swallow pills either.
He takes or took medicine at school for ADHD and the ladies in the office finally got him to put the pill in the back of his throat and give him water put held the cup up until he swallowed. He now takes different meds for his ADHD now that he can swallow. It has been a long journey for the last 3 1/2 years. We tried the applesauce, yogurt, juice, and even sprinkling on toast. You have to be careful with some meds since some are time-released. Good luck keep trying because I never thought we would be at the place we are now.
Tammie
Unread 02-21-2005, 07:07 PM

Hi..I totally understand what your child is going through. I was 20 yrs old til I learned to swollow. She must have a really high gag reflex , like myself. I finally found that eating a cracker and while it's still in my mouth I stick the pill in there and drink lots of water. It seems like the pill gets lost in the pastiness of the cracker. Super huge pills I still cut in half, it just something she will automatically train herself to do. Maryanne
Unread 02-21-2005, 09:37 PM

This is the trick that works for me:

Stand in front of a wall mirror. Prepare a large glass of water and have it "at the ready." Stick out your tongue as far as you can, (do your impression of Gene Simmons from "Kiss") while viewing
your image in the mirror as you do so. Place the pill on your tongue as far back as you can get it. Glug the whole glass of water.

Best Wishes for Successful Pill-Swallowing!
Unread 02-23-2005, 01:57 PM

I just found this site and thread. I thought a couple things might be helpful. One - use M & M minis to practice. They are about the size of an Advil tablet. My DD doesn't mind practicing with them(she has the same problem and is also 12)--yum, chocolate! Two - this one isn't so fun. I have a friend who actually had a webbing that restricted her ability to swallow. She didn't know about it until just last year (she is 40). She just thought she couldn't swallow a pill. Her doctor found the problem after she mentioned her inability to him and he corrected it. Just a little thought that sometimes it isn't psycological. But, I hope isn't anything like that!
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:11 PM

Just be aware some people never are able to swallow pills. My dh turns 47 later this month and he had to buy a pill crusher. When he gets ear infections, he gets the "pink stuff" just like the babies get.....
Unread 03-04-2005, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjd2491
. When he gets ear infections, he gets the "pink stuff" just like the babies get.....
I'm so glad that someone else calls amoxicillan "the pink stuff"!!! LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register