12 year old can't swallow pills.... - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 year old can't swallow pills.... 12 year old can't swallow pills....

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:38 PM
Wink - 12 year old can't swallow pills.... 12 year old can't swallow pills....

Hi Ladies,
When I was a kid I couldn't swallow pills either and the doctor I went to told me to put the pill under my tongue, then drink and swallow. It worked very well for me and that is the way I still do it.

Hope this helps,
Lois
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:54 PM
12 year old can't swallow pills....

The trick the worked for me was cut pill if too large. & put it in a scoop of ice cream. Works every time!! For me anyway.......
Unread 03-18-2005, 03:00 PM

Put the pill in the middle of a small spoon of chocolate ice cream - I guarantee - it works!! (Much like wrapping the pets pills around a small bit of food).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2005, 01:58 PM

I don't know why I never read this thread until now: my DD is 9 years and can't take meds of any type. The children meds simply make her gag, the taste is so awful

Last Thursday she had really high fever with a bad headache so I thought I would try giving her 1/2 an adult Tylenol: she's big for her age and I figured that 1/2 a pill would turn out to be even less than the regular dosage for her age and weight (she's 72 lbs). I was really taken aback when she simply couldn't swallow it: we tried the trick of having her put it as far back on her tongue as possible and then swallow a whole glass of water. It didn't work.

I'll try the straw trick, since it may just work.

My DS has PDD and takes several types of meds. When he was younger, we would crush the meds. Since he's been 8 and taking meds in school, at noon, he's been taking them whole, no problem. That's a good thing, since he's now on a new med that has to be taken whole.
Unread 03-27-2005, 09:58 PM

I worked with a pharmacist that had a child that could not swallow tablets. On day he told her that it was just like swallowing a piece of macaroni. She swallowed it without a problem.

Someone else told me that if you tilt your head forward instead of backward it goes down easier. I tried it, but couldn't tell the difference.

I try to avoid them myself and use chewables when possible. I've found that capsules and oblong shaped tablets don't stick as bad as round tablets.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register