Pain in bladder | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain in bladder Pain in bladder

Unread 01-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Pain in bladder

Hello, this is my first post here. My name is Elayna and I'm very happy that I found y'all! I've read through a lot of the old posts and I think this is a wonderful and useful place.

I just had a abdominal hysterectomy on Tuesday and came home this morning. I'm finding that when my bladder is full I feel a great deal of pain. Also, it hurts as I pee. I had this problem to a lesser extent during ovulation each month and frequently during my period. Did anybody else have this problem duing ovulation, periods and again after surgery? Do you know what causes it or how I can make it better? Can I expect this to go away for good as I heal? I see my doctor on Wednesday to have the staples removed. I did tell her about the pain I get when my bladder is full and she said it's normal. This problem is making it awfully hard to sleep because if I go to sleep for more than an hour or two my bladder gets to full and it hurts a lot. Any advice? Thanks a lot for reading this. I'm very glad you are all here. What a wonderful and supportive place!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 04:00 AM
oh, that bladder

I too had these problems. I was so looking forward to my bladder having more room so that I wouldn't have to get up and p at night. What a shock! My bladder even spasmed for a few days. Now theres a feeling that'll wake you up! Can't say exactlly what causes it except that all the organs in the affected area of surgery are irritated by the intrusion. I believe it was at about 3 to 4 weeks when I began to really p more comfortably (of course it was getting better a little at a time, it was just at that time I began to not dread going cause things weren't to bad) I am now 6 weeks out and, glory hallelujah, I can even go all night without a p and a full bladder no longer hurts.
Unread 01-22-2005, 04:16 AM
Pain in bladder

Because the bladder is moved around during surgery, this can cause bruising to the tissue. This make the problem of painfull urination.
It can hurt when your bladder is full, as you start to void and then just the last little bit can be a real pain.

It dose go, it take a little longer in some sisters than it dose in others. Mine is mostly gone now (it only gets me when I have to wait to find a loo if I'm out, and wait too long)

I didn't have the problem pre-op, but have read that some of the sisters who had fibroids did have the pain issue before surgery.

Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2005, 07:34 AM
Pain in bladder

After coming home I had pain during urination. I assumed it was from the catheter, but didn't think about the movement of your bladder during surgery - that makes sense. Anyway, the bladder pain disappeared after a few weeks. I still feel slightly uncomfortable if I "hold it" for too long. I had fibroids and had lots of trouble with "urgency" when I felt I needed to urinate.
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:38 AM
Pain in bladder

I had the pain after surgery. At first it was just my bladder, then the urinary tract, finally it made its way to the urethra. I went into the GYN and demanded urinary testing to see if I had an infection but they came back normal. 2 weeks later I demanded another test because the pain was getting worse but it still came back normal. My GYN said if it isnt gone in 4 weeks (3weeks now) that he wanted to see me again so he could refer me to a Urologist. He said the cath. could have caused a tiny bit of damage and the pain is from possible scar tissue. I cant hold harldy any urine. It feels like I have been holding it for hours and when I go... it just drips out a tiny bit. I'm 7 weeks post-op today and the pain has only gotten worse. Cant wait for the 10th week so I can get it taken care of!
The pain doesnt disturb my life any, I just dont look forward to going to the bathroom 10-20 times a day and feeling the pain of voiding.
Best of luck to you in your recovery!
Melissa
27 yrs old ~ TAH 12/6 ~ Adenomyosis
Unread 01-24-2005, 08:45 AM
Pain in bladder

I had lots of pre op baldder problems. My main problem was everything had fallen on my bladder, it so there was not much room to hold urine in.Right after surgery my baldder just did not want to do anything.So they would cath me to get the urine out. After a few days things were working great. I slept all night not haveing to get up and go.About day 4 I started feeling the pain when I would try to go and I was back to wakeing up all of the time.Now at day 11 things are better the pain is not nearly as bad as it was. So now i seem to be headed back in the right direction. Give It some more time and I have a feeling you will too.If it gets really bad make sure to call doctor to make sure you dont have a UTI.
Unread 01-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Pain in bladder

I also had the problem postop. The bladder is pulled away and held by a retractor during the surgery so it has it's own adjustments to go through postop. It can take some time for it to go away. The pain when you are almost finished urinating can be excruciating. I do have a few suggestions for you. Do not let your bladder get full. Schedule "pee time" for every 2 hours, this will prevent the"almost done pain" cause I found this mainly happens when bladder is full. Dont' drink a lot before going to bed so you don't wake up in the middle of the night with a full bladder. You will however have a full bladder in the morning no matter what. But if you only have to deal with it once in the morning, I say that is pretty good. It does get better, but can take some time.
Unread 01-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Pain in bladder

Thanks for sharing your experiences and offering advice. I'm still having the pain and it isn't getting any better yet. At least I know I'm not the only one, and it really does help to know that. I didn't anticipate this. I think I was mentally prepared for a lot of things...incisional pain, gas pain, not being able to sleep on my side...but I had no idea it would hurt so much to p.

Thanks again for all the replies! I hope you all feel better soon.
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Pain in bladder

It does get better. I had no pain in the beginning, then at around 7 days, I started getting the pain when it was full and at the end of voiding it felt like cramping. During the whole second week of recovery it got worse, but now at 21 days out, the pain is finally going away. As my belly has started to get back in shape and my muscles stopped being so numb, I'm starting to suck in my lower abs slightly while I pee and that also seems to reduce the pain.

I'm hopeful that my bladder has found its new home without the uterus behind it. Now if I can just get past the pain of gas...that seems to put the most pressure on the internal incision.

Are you still on pain meds?

good luck!
hugs to you.
Sharon
Unread 01-24-2005, 02:39 PM
Pain in bladder

Quote:
Originally posted by sharona 10

I'm hopeful that my bladder has found its new home without the uterus behind it. Now if I can just get past the pain of gas...that seems to put the most pressure on the internal incision.

Are you still on pain meds?

good luck!
hugs to you.
Sharon
Yes, I'm still on pain meds. I have both oxycodone and vicodin. I have fibromyalgia and thank god, I have a doctor who is compassionate about that and correctly anticipated that the fibro flairup would be worse than the actual surgery!

Have you tried Gas X for the gas pain? I've found that helps if I take the maximum dose of four pills a day. Also, I think it is really important to have BMs daily to ease that gas discomfort. That's not always easy, but I found that nector helps and so do glycerin suppositories! I hope you get that under control! I know how much it hurts. The beset of luck to you!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register