7weeks post op and getting weakness and dizzy spells | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

7weeks post op and getting weakness and dizzy spells 7weeks post op and getting weakness and dizzy spells

Unread 01-22-2005, 08:12 AM
7weeks post op and getting weakness and dizzy spells

Hi To you All,

I had a hysterectomy on the 7th of December, 2 weeks after a biopsy which showed i had cervical cancer. i'm 31yrs old and fortunately have kids. My op lasted 4 and a half hours. They remover my cervix, uterus, all lymph nodes (which were clear) and 2/3's of my vagina wall and all the surrounding tissue and muscle where the cervix and uterus was.

I'm now 7 weeks after the operation, the scar has healed, it was a vertical incision. I'm not doing too bad, except for a little bit of depression. They left my ovaries as they were healthy. Is it true a woman will not go into menapause after a hysterectomy if she has the ovaries. I've been feeling really weird lately. I went to buy a new pair of jeans yesterday and after trying on two pairs that didn't fit i came out of the changing room and started to get really hot, i broke out in a sweat , i wasn't feeling anxious at all, so i thought if i ignored it that it would go away, it didn't. I got dizzy and weak and i felt like i was about to faint. Is it normal to get these type of weaknesses after the operation ?? Have any of you suffered from a turn like that after the operation.
I managed to fina a bench, sit down and eat something sweet to try and bring me round, my hands were trembling and my arms felt like lead weights. Its worrying me , before the operation i was very active. I have to be i've 3 daughters, oldest 14yrs and struggling with teenager hormones, the second is almost 12yr and the younges is 9 yrs. i also work part time.
I feel like my body is going against me since the operation and i find myself even wondering if i am in menapause regardless of the ovaries. Can anyone offer their advice?

THank You
Sharon (from Ireland)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 09:24 AM

Hi Sharon,

I have read on H.S. that sometimes after a hyst that did not remove the ovaries, the ovaries can go to "sleep" for awhile. It is due to the shock of surgery. It can last a few weeks. You can check with your Dr. about going on temporary HRT. I also read that there is a blood test available to check hormone levels.

Also...it could be you are still recouping and you just overdid it shopping. With a hyst, it can take 6-8 weeks to feel "normal" again and I have read on H.S., that it can take up to a year for a full recovery.

Or...maybe have your Dr. check your blood pressure. Dizziness can be a sign of that. I have LBP. Also, if you were anemic before surgery or if you lost some blood during surgery, it could be the side effects of anemia.

I can suggest just checking with your Dr. to be on the safe side.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 01-22-2005, 10:36 AM

Hi
I have read in different books that sometimes the overies just can't handle the stress of surgery and do not re-start or stop working after a short time from ones surgery date. Stress playes a big part on how the overies work.
Talk to your doc its not normal to feel like that without a reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM

Hi Sharon!

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this rough patch in your recovery. The surgery itself sounds like it was truly a blessing for you. I am glad happy that the cancer was found in time for the Dr's to treat it.

I had my TVH on December 13, so I am just about 6 weeks out. I still find myself getting very tired and weak. I have also had a few of the dizzy spells and the feeling like I'm about to faint. I have chalked this up to the recovery process and the fact that my body is still healing. I think that our minds feel ready to recover much sooner than our bodies and it just takes a while for our bodies to catch up.

I agree with Mary's suggestions that it could also be a drop in your blood pressure (which isn't necessarily serious...it could just be a sudden drop from the activity, standing up too fast, etc.) or maybe a touch of anemia. I have also noticed that I have been getting sick more of the past 6 weeks than I ever have before. I have had two severe colds and the flu during my recovery perioid alone and that has drained my energy. Could you be getting a touch of a cold?

You should report these feelings to your doctor and let him/her advise you on what to do. It's always better to be on the safe side. Maybe they can help you feel better.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing! I hope this time of feeling yucky passes quickly for you. There are brighter days ahead!

P.S....Working part time and having three young daughters to care for would wipe anyone out. You just had a scary diagnosis and a grueling surgery. Go easy on yourself and make sure you take the time you need to rest. We're here for you.

~Anne
Unread 01-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Thanks to All of you Girls for you're replies!

I really appreicate it and am so glad i found this site, i was feeling quite alone in handling this until i came across the site. I was anemic before the op due to very heavy periods that i now know were a result of the cancer, i dont know if i had a transfusion during the operation, if i didn't than i would definately need iron now. I'm definately going to my doctor and get him to check my iron and hormone levels this week to be sure. Urinary tract infections after the operation are also plagueing me. I'm on my second at the moment.
The girls dont understand, i thought boys were bad, i had 3 brother's but my little women never stop bickering. I;ve one with raging teenage hormone and another on the brink, the youngest is 9 and winds the other two up, its mostly over tv programmes and who gets to watch what. I hope the rest of you take care of yourselves and get back to normal, its all i'm praying for myself.

Hugs

Sharon
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:29 PM

Hi Sharon

Aren't we lucky to have this site? It has helped me so much during this time. It's nice to have people who understand.

Well, I am here to testify that boys are just as bad! (lol) I have three young boys...10, 5, and 3, and they will also bicker about anything and everything. I try to remind them how lucky they are to have each other, but they aren't seeing that just yet. (I'm going to give it about 20 more years...lol) The recovery period has been hard with them to take care of...I can understand just where you're coming from.

I said in my previous post that I've been getting sick over the last few weeks. I have been soo drained the last week, or so, and I volunteered to watch my sister's son this weekend while she's out of town. (he's 3, like my youngest) Someone please remind me how much work that is before I volunteer next time!

The recovery time is hard for everyone anyway. When we have children to care for, it's difficult to explain why mommy can't wrestle...why she has to lay down...why she's in the bathroom for an hour (wondering what that strange discharge is....) I just keep reminding myself how blessed I am to have them and how this too shall pass.

I'm happy that you're here, Sharon. I wish you the very best in your recovery! Please keep us posted on what the Dr says.

~Anne
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:40 PM

Hi Anne,

Yes i will keep you posted, definately. Thanks for you're posts to me too, i appreicate the replies. I have my 2nd post op checkup on the 2nd of February. They will have to keep a two or three monthly check on me involving blood tests, internal exams, smears, mri scans to make sure the cancer dosen't come back. I think i may have been lucky, it didn't go into the lymph nodes which means i didn't need chemo and radiation therapy thank god for that can you imagine trying to recover from that on top of the operation, a person would'nt know whether they were coming or going LoL.
Talk to you soon
Take Care

Sharon (From Ireland)
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:01 PM
Best of luck

My hyst was due to a cervical tumor - non cancerous.

I am glad to hear yours was caught early. It is difficult to go through the surgery especially with children.

I feel as if I have let my kids down because I am so "not mommy".

Thinking of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register