I'm Tired Of Sleeping On My Back! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm Tired Of Sleeping On My Back! I'm Tired Of Sleeping On My Back!

Unread 01-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm Tired Of Sleeping On My Back!

I'm almost 3 weeks post-op and I'm sooooooo tired of sleeping on my back! It gets too sore to lay on my side for more a few minutes though. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way I can lay on my side and make it comfortable? I'm normally a back sleeper but after this whole experience I don't think I ever will be again!

Take Care!

's,
Carrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 11:57 AM

Hey there. Sorry to hear about your sleeping frustrations!

You don't mention whether you had a vertical or horizontal incision. From posts I have read, it does make a difference comfort wise.

I have a horizontal incision. From the first night home, I was able to sleep on my side. I have a body pillow that I would tuck under my legs and stomach as I laid on my side. It gave me the extra support I needed.

Something to try?

Good luck.

Sarah
Unread 01-22-2005, 12:00 PM

Yes I am a side or tummy sleeper and this sleeping on my back was killing me too. In the past several days I have been turning from side to side and my husband waking every few hours to prop me up with pillows. Before I went into the castle one of DH friends who works for a bedding store brought over tons of new pillows. Helps alot. Hope this helps.

Misty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 02:33 PM

Hummmm.... I thought I replied to this one but it is gone.

I too am a tummy sleeper. I will make this a short reply in case my other one pops up or something. Get a body pillow if possible. I have gotten the best sleep since I have used it.

Good Luck!!

Andi
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:40 PM

I like to sleep on my side as well. I am almost 4 weeks post-op & I can finally sleep comfortably on my side.

Janet
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:59 PM

I'm a back sleeper and at 4 weeks I couldn't even sleep on my side for relief. The only way I got through it was to have hubby rub my back before bed. that was really nice. I tried to stay on my feet for at least 40 minutes before bed. Would walk slowly or stand or lean on the chair while watching tv. So by the time I got ready for bed, I was really ready to lay down.

I'd wake up at 3 to use the toilet and I'd be so stiff and sore! So I'd walk around the room and bend from side to side...pop 2 more motrin, would be freezing cold and then climb back into bed.

I didn't have a body pillow. When I attempted to lay on my side, I used one normal but flatter pillow between my ankel and knees (a big help), one small pillow tucked behind my back and a tiny flat pillow under the swelly belly. Hubby had to help. I didn't stay in bed too long, six hours in the beginning.

When laying on my back, I put one normal size pillow under my thighs because laying flat pulled on the incision too much. I also had two pillows from head to shoulders (that hospital bed position.)

It wasn't until 6 weeks before I could sleep on my side for more than 30 mins. Now, I'm there for a few hours...good enough that I'm not as sore any more. It will get better, but not all at once.
Stretch your legs out by walking slowly outdoors ( if possible), several times a day. Don't lay down during the day either. Stay more semi reclined ( if you have a recliner) during the day rest times. Good luck
Maralyn
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:30 PM

Oh boy howdy!! I too am a total side sleeper and this is driving me nuts!!

Today is 10 days post-op for me and finallylast night my back hurt was hurting worse than my belly!! So I was able to spend maybe 1-2 hours on my left side. Hopefully it will get easier from now on...

I've tried multiple pillows in every position and the problem is a pinching/pulling feeling, very uncomfortable! Not enough to take pain meds but just enough to keep me awake.

I'd have to say the side sleeping and sitting up straight are my 2 biggest problems right now other than that I think I can deal with the rest. It's so much better not having that awful fibroid anymore!!

Hope everyone feels better soon!

Unread 01-22-2005, 04:28 PM

You can alleviate the pulling/pinching feeling laying on your side if you actually have that side of your tummy on a pillow, it keeps your tummy from rolling to that side of the bed. You kind of "prop" up your tummy. I hope this helps.
Also, if you have a recliner, use it! It is so much better than laying flat on your back in the bed and also get a body pillow from walmart or target , they work wonders.
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:43 PM
side sleepers

Hello all:
This is my first post so my apologies for not being up to date on the "lingo". On January 11th (11 days!), I had an abdominal hysterectomy in which everything was removed, including both ovaries. My incision is about 4 inches long and is horizontal right at the "bikini" line in that little crease (does everyone have one of those, I hope?).

I was able to sleep on my side even in the hospital, with a pillow stuffed between my stomach and the bed. I used another pillow between my knees. Once at home, I use a king-size pilloe that covers both areas, and I am very comfortable on either side. Occasionally I get into a position where it seems to pinch my incision, so I move around a little until it relieves the pressure.

My friends and family say I'm doing great and I feel that I am. My biggest problem has been the extremely painful gas (I will read about that on another thread).

Try the large pillow and see if that offers you any relief!

Happy resting!

Pam
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:47 PM

Pam!
Sounds like you are doing well. Just remember to continue with the princess rules even though you feel fine. If you look at the top of the page and click on the link called "checkpoints" it will give you guidelines for the do's and dont's depending on how far out of your recovery you are.
Continue to rest, nap, take short walks around the house, drink plenty of water, and nap some more!
I wish you an uneventful recovery!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register