been suffering for 5 yrs plus...any ideas? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

been suffering for 5 yrs plus...any ideas? been suffering for 5 yrs plus...any ideas?

Unread 01-22-2005, 12:04 PM
been suffering for 5 yrs plus...any ideas?

Hi all! I am new here but am really puzzled by something...
I had a total hystectomy (ovaries and cervix removed) on Sept 5th 2000. i had been suffereing from cysts and endometriosis since I was a teenager and this was the best solution that my doctor (gyn.) and I had decided on. Also, I had decided that I was not going to have more children as I have a 13 yr old son now. There were a few issues that came up when I was in the hospital that were dealt with while I was there...
I went home with some concerns about my bowels as I was having severe pains in my tummy (that were present from the moment I woke up from the surgery). The pains were often relieved once I had a BM. My doc said that things would work themselves out and did nothing at that point. I continue to have tummy aches to the point that I am bent over for a bit. Again, once I have a BM they seem to go away. My family doc said that it is more than likely Irritable Bowel Disease and he has also left it at that!
Now the clincher...
Appr. a month after my surgery I went to my dentist for my usual checkup. She noticed that the roof of my mouth was red in one spot. She said it was thrush and sent me home with mycostatin. She thinks that it was from the anti biotics from the surgery. The problem that I am having is that (after several visits to the doctor and dentist and several prescriptions of anti biotics) my doc and dentis have both said that yes it is thrush etc and said that it is my diet! I am wondering if anyone else out there (post op) has had issues with this kind of stuff as I am going nutso...
I am 39 yrs old now. I was 34 years old when I had the surgery. I really need to be able to get this off my plate as I also struggle with severe anxiety disorder and severe OCD. I also have chronic sleep insomnia. I am getting all kinds of help with my mental health. I am a very realistic person so have tried everything that I can think of but would really need some input! Someone suggested that I come here a while ago. They said that there is all kinds of friendly ppl here. I beleive that by the other posts that I have been reading. Thanks so much for any input on my mouth issues. (They definately started immediately after I got home from the hospital after my surgery.) If I have not explained this clar enough and you need more info please feel free to ask me k...
Sandee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Hi Wotchdoin,

Sorry to hear of your problems, hopefully you will get some advice and help from the sisters.

Do you get thrust in the vagina area as well? or is it just the mouth?
Have you ever cleared it up?

Tricia. x x x
Unread 01-22-2005, 02:18 PM
Just in my mouth...

Hi angel...
I did manage to get it almost cleared up at one point with heavy doses of Diflucan. (I was on 200mg's every day for five weeks). As soon as the medication went out of my system the thrush returned again. My dentist prescribed it that time and that was about 6 months ago. As far as having yeast infection vaginally? I may have had it there but am not 100% on that. However, from all that I have read on this it can be pretty much anywhere in my body! I probably did have it there as well. Thank you very much for the encouragement. I am doing any HRT either. My mom has had breast cancer and I have heard that there is a high risk for stuff like this. I am not too sure about this either as my gynecologist said that he didn't think the risk was there as most other people do. He really baffles me at times. All's I know is that my mouth stuff is really interfering with my everyday life and am still at wits end about it...Thanks again angel!
Sandee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 02:56 PM
Anxiety/IBS

Read your post with interest.

I am an IBS suffer as well and I find my recovery is slow. Belly problems, yeast infections, UTIs

10 weeks post op and still feeling yucky

Sometimes I think it is stress.....

Hang in there.
Unread 01-22-2005, 03:43 PM

Just so you know, endo is not cured by a hyst, and bowel endo can cause the symptoms you describe.
If you want more info on enod just let me know.
Carrie
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by IzCoCo
Just so you know, endo is not cured by a hyst, and bowel endo can cause the symptoms you describe.
If you want more info on enod just let me know.
Carrie
Wow carrie...thanks so much for the new info! I have never heard of bowel enod before...I have to admit that I was a bit more than shocked by that one! I am surprised that my doctor never mentioned that to me. He did do a laser removal about one year before he did the hysterctomy. Then he tried me on Lupron shots for about a year for the pain and reoccurance. I think he figured that the hyst. was the solution. I did not grow up with good role models at all and really don't think that my gyno informed me very well...grr! I was quite glad to see you post and I certainly will check out the ohter board (Road Less Travelled) as this is 5 years post op for me and I am getting kinda desperate (as you can tell) to be able to get on with things in my life! My son is the joy of my life but he also has very high needs that I need to be able to help him with. This is really dragging me down. Therefore, I am going to look into the bowel endo more and check out the board. I cerainly will keep you updated on my progress! You have definately put a new "spin" on this for me...Thank you again Carrie! :-)
Sandee
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Carrie, couple of questions for ya...

Carrie. I would sure like to hear from you in regards to bowel endo. Have you also had this and has this caused the same types of symptoms that I am struggling with? Do you know someone that has had to struggle with this thrush (oral mostly I think)? It would sure be nice to know that I am not alone. (That, in itself, would relieve a bit of my troubles...)
Thanks again...
Sandee
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:37 PM
Re: Anxiety/IBS

Hiya Patti! I think I agree with you because when I am feeling stressed out (which is a lot because I have chronic insomnia and an anxiety disorder)...I have noticed that there are times when it seems to be worse than others. I wish you a speedy recovery! By the way? This IBS stuff ahs gotta go...it's awful! (LOL) When it hits, there is nothing I really can do. I know that a BM helps tremendously. I have heard that there is medication that you can take (as I have seen tv commercials for it). My doctor did not suggest that for me as I am already on meds for my mental health stuff. Compared to the thrush stuff though, I know that when my IBS hits, it will go away eventually. This thrush isn't going away and that, in itself, is frustrating. Thanks for you reply...
Sandee
Unread 01-22-2005, 05:51 PM

So sorry for all your problems. Things rush to mind like Carrie mentioned endo, also adhesions, IBS, diverticulitis...

I'd start over with an Internist. Maybe a scraping of the, "thrush"for a closer look. How about a fecal test to see the bacteria count? How about a colonoscopy? A lap to look for endo?

Can't this thrush keep going in a cycle? Do you have a husband or BF who might have this also? I hate to see so much repeated antibiotics.....that can bring on other bowel problems like C-Diff.

If the doctors think it's diet, start a food journal. Keep tract of every food you eat, how you feel afterwards, how many hours later you feel it, and the outcome...pain, diarrhea, etc. I know this is time consuming, but you may end up with a GI doctor who wants to know the details. You've suffered too long with this!

Best of luck with this,
Maralyn
Unread 01-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Keep in mid with a history of endo you should not take drugs like Zelnorm, for IBS.
Carrie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register