Hematoma??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Hematoma???

What are the symptoms of a hematona in the incison?

What do they do to treat a hematona?

I have tried looking on line & did a search here, but I was unable to get any real detailed info.

The reason I ask this is because the skin around the right side of the incsion is kind of black, especially on the far right side. This morning when I went to shower & took out the packing, it blead. I have never had a wound blead the way it did. Right after I took out the packing, and started to look at my incison, I had bright red blood going down my leg. I quickly grabbed some tollet paper and held presure until it stopped. I ended up using 3 wads of tollet paper to get it to stop.

Since DH changed the packing at around 12:30 the packing on the right side is blood soaked & has gone through the 4 by 4. There is about a little over a quarter size area of blood.

DH did not see any pus in the incsion when he packet it. Although I did notice the packing was kind of sticky, gouey (sp).

The right side is still very sore & it hurts on the far right side of the incison. At times the incison throbbs, and I get pains in that area.

With the way it blead I am just woundering if it could be a Hematoma?

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Hematoma???

Kim,
I don't remember what my hematomas looked like, I just remember the doctor saying that I had hematomas and that he had to bust them up. I think hematomas are like blood pockets or blisters??? I'm not really sure as it's been quite some time so I could be wrong on that.

I really think you need to get a new opinion on that incision of yours. It sounds like it is getting worse instead of better.

Unread 01-22-2005, 02:39 PM
Hematoma???

Kim!
What now darlin..? I am not here for a few days and look what happens!...
A hematoma is like a blood filled cyst or blister is the best way I can describe it. Sounds like yours burst if that is what it was, but Kim, keep an eye on the bleeding, if it continues, call the HH nurse (are they still coming?) or call the doc on call...that could be the very reason your incision didn't heal properly the first time. I am sorry you had to deal with that...I know it probably scared the beegeebees out of you. Please let me know how it is progressing if at all.
Love ya girl!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Hematoma???

Marian, how do doctor's normally treat this kind of thing?

Kim
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Hematoma???

Depends on how big it is and if it is looking as if it will be reabsorbed in the body. Sometimes they just let it go and wait and see if that happens or they will drain it themselves.
Unread 01-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Hematoma???

Kim,
I had a hematoma when I had my hyst 4 years ago. I started to hemmorhage(and required 2 units of blood) the day after surgery, and after a pelvic exam, my Dr. decided to just let it drain by itself. I was black from hip to hip and all the way down (it looked like I had on a black pair of briefs). I went through numerous boxes of pads and bled for about 5 weeks(mine was draining through the vaginal cuff). What I didn't bleed out was absorbed by my body. I remember it being very painful to the touch.
If you are concerned, a call to the Dr. might be the best bet.
Good luck.
Essie
Unread 01-31-2005, 09:35 PM
Hematoma???

I am so sorry to hear about your bleeding - how scary! I had my histerectomy 6 weeks ago, went to work too early, and it was down hill from there. At the six week check up they did an internal and holy cow, the pain was worse than just after the surgey. they did ultrasound and found a large pocket of blood to the right of the incision and moving up higher then my navel. They said it will reaborb - or else they have to go in and drain it.

I am new here, glad to read your posts. If you bleed that much - go to an ER fast! No need to bleed that much and feel scared!

Madelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register