Adenomyosis Symptoms | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Adenomyosis Symptoms Adenomyosis Symptoms

Unread 01-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

I was also recently diagnosed with Adenomyosis. I had never heard of it before either, but do have a very strong family history of endometriosis (Mom, Sis and Gram all have it) so wasn't all that surprised. Especially since they all seem to be related or similar at least. I have almost always had heavy periods (which is now causing anemia), and some cramping, but over the last year or so, the cramps have gotten extensively worse. The last 6-8 months, I have 1-2 days where I am hurting so bad I can't even get out of bed and am taking Darvocet to help me cope. Feels like I'm in labor all over again. I have also been experiencing horrid PMS (my 2 DS's call me the fire breathing dragon! hehehe) as well as pain from ovulation and diaherrea for a day or two after my period. With my having a 21 day cycle, I get about one good week a month before the 'party' starts all over again. And of course there is the depression that goes along with it all.. My Dr wants me to have the Novasure procedure as he says it will help with the heavy bleeding and cramping, but everything I've seen in my research is that its great for the bleeding, but doesn't do much for the cramping. Any comments?? I'm ready to just go in and have all of it taken out and be done with it.

Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Wow, your story sound almost identical to mine. My original diagnosis was endo with an enlarged uterus, possible adeno. Dr said they really couldn't dx the adeno until pathology of uterine tissue sample.

Anyway, I opted to have hyst done and feel really great. Pathology report did not find adeno...but the endo and enlarged uterus was reported.

This site was a major factor in my decision to go ahead with Hyst, but I also know several people who could only tell me that "it was the best thing they'd ever done".

Best wishes to you in whatever you decide to do.
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:08 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Congrats on your decision! Sounds like it was a wonderful choice for you!! I'm pretty well set on having a hysterectomy. But am going to get a second opinion, talk to my Dr a bit more then make a final decision. I know its the 'right' thing to do, but I'm so ready to be done with it I wish I could go into surgery tomorrow! Keep me posted on how you are doing!
Best of luck!!
Jen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Hi Jen,

I didn't know I had adenomyosis until I had my hysterectomy and got the path results. It was suspected because of the pain and bleeding. I also had about one week out the month that felt good. So I can certainly relate to how you feel. By the way I had my hysterectomy over a year ago, and feel wonderful now. Good luck to you

Lisa

SAH 12/11/03 (Fibroids and adenomyosis)
Unread 02-12-2005, 08:00 PM
adenomyosis

Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I, too, only had about one good week a month. I wasn't diagnosed with adenomyosis until after the hysterectomy, also. I am now three months post op. I left my ovaries, and so far I am happy with my decision. Good luck to you.
Unread 02-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Hey Jen,

This post was very interesting as I was wondering if there is any way of knowing you have adenomyosis prior to a pathology report.

I too had extremely heavy periods. I got a period in June of 2002 that lasted until my ablation in November 2002. I did have a D&C in July of 2002 with hysteroscopy. I have to say that the ablation worked great for two years. I now have a period that won't end again. ONLY THING is that this time, I would not classify it as even close to heavy. Very light to spotting, but always there and this time the doctor is recommending a hyst. If you want to try keeping your uterus and the doctor says it's worth the try, I'd do that. You do have cramps afterward, but if you have cramping already, you most likely won't be suffering from anything more that before. I have to admit that once I started a regular cycle again, the cycles were much lighter, much shorter, but wouldhave a day with extremely bad cramping. I knew that I would continue having cycles afterward, where some women actually stop having any flow whatsoever.

I hope this helps a bit. Please feel free to email me if you like with any more questions. I can tell you what I have experienced, and what they say are the ranges of changes. Also, there are different types of procedures, My procedure for the ablations was the thermachoice - a balloon type thing. I can expain that if you want later.

See what your doctor recommends. It's always better to keep everything if you can.
Unread 02-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Lisa, Goosey and Sandee,
Thank you so much for your support!! Its been so long it seems since I posted this originally! Hard to believe its only really been a couple of weeks. I made the decision shortly after posting, and after several really rough days, that I was going to go for it and have the hyst. I had a chance to really look at my quality of life (there is none) and what I was putting my family through and decided that enough was enough. I'm scheduled to go in on March 16 and can hardly wait! Hubby and I have been done with the baby making for a couple of years now and had decided long ago that after 2, that if we wanted any more children, that we would adopt. Even if I was to want to continue having children, what kind of Mom would I be when I constantly feel like I have?? Not a very good one in my opinion...
My Dr diagnosed me from basically ruling out everything else. I've had the biopsy, the ultrasounds, etc. He's been my Dr for over 10 years and knows my 'parts' as well as I do. This has all been something that has slowly developed over the years, but has gotten unbearable over the last 6 months to a year.
I wish you all the best and thank you again! You guys rock!!
Hugs all around
Jen
Unread 02-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

I'm still waiting for the pathology report from my surgery. The doctor suspects I had Adeno. During surgery they did find endo. I've had heavy periods with bad cramping and only really feeling good one week a month. My periods were hitting every 3 weeks for the last year. I opted to do the hyst after trying birth control for several months and it not helping at all.

Good luck with your surgery! It's been five weeks since my last period and I'm not missing it at all!

Tink
Unread 02-13-2005, 03:02 AM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Hey Jen, I've got the adeno as well. Has your physician ever suspected that you may have endo? I ask because you talk about, "pain from ovulation and diaherrea for a day or two after my period." Those can be just symptoms of good ole' PMS and the menses.
Endo causes A LOT of pain, not saying that you have it by any means, it just sounds like this adeno is causing a lot more pain than I've heard, every woman is different. Also, with endo, the pain gets bad usually before and during our periods. NOT saying you have endo hehe you know that I just hate to hear about how much pain you're in and the anemia. I really can't give you any comments on the Novasure procedure or a hsterectomy for that matter, but please know I'm thinking of you and hope you can possibly move your surgery up as the days pass.
Sending good, healthy, healing cyber hugs your way.
Remain positive, and keep smiling!

Samantha
Unread 02-17-2005, 12:56 PM
Adenomyosis Symptoms

Hi Jen,
I can really relate to what you are going through. I am 33 and have been diagnosed with adenomyosis. I also have severe ovulation pain and have to resort to taking darvocet, which seems to make me more moody.
Anyway, I am glad you have made your decision. I am curious , are you removing your ovaries? I am almost certain I will have the hyst. , but undecided on the ovaries because I am afraid of surgical menopause. (i.e. hot flashes, loss of lebido, weight gain, moodiness...) What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone have any words of advice?? Also, do any of you know what natural hrt is?? Thanks and good luck to you!!!
Anne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register