15 lb. weight gain since operation - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 lb. weight gain since operation 15 lb. weight gain since operation

Unread 01-24-2005, 02:11 PM
15 lb. weight gain since operation

Munchie,

I'm so glad you're feeling better today! It's good to hear that some people are losing weight. I lost 1.5 lbs. this morning and my legs are looking more normal.

The South Beach diet worked really well for my husband. Since this summer he's lost over 40 lbs. He's very strict with himself -- more than I can be. But I'm on the online Weight Watcher's diet with South Beach components. I like to see what I put in my mouth everyday, so Weight Watchers online is great.

Keep up the good work. I'm glad the anti-depressants are working.

Malie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 08:00 AM

I am so glad I saw this post, I am 2 weeks post tomorrow and have been freaking out. Right After the surgery when I got home i stepped on the scale, hoping that since they took parts out I might see a pound or 2 difference to the good. I found 15 pounds to the bad. I just started crying. Since the surgery, I have allowed myself 2 cups of coffee and the only other thing I have drank is water. For some reason Im not hungry and when I do eat, it takes nothing to fill me up. Maybe it will go away soon, I still have alot of swelling, but it is going down a little. Good luck to everyone, and thanks for being here to bring up the things that are worrying all of us. This is a great site, and you are all wonderful ladies.

Jennifer
Unread 01-25-2005, 08:14 AM

Malie,

Hi,

I intially lost 12lbs when I weighed myself at week 1. I'm 14weeks post op and have put the 12lbs back on plus another couple. I think it's the HRT as I watched everything I ate while I was recovering and watch everything I eat now, I go to the gym 2-3 times a week and weather permitting I walk 2miles a day. (I also run around after a 3year old so you can add an extra couple of miles onto that!!!!) your not alone.

The more I tend to exercise the bigger the belly gets but I'm not giving up it will get better one day (I hope!!)

Shep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2005, 03:24 PM

Thanks for the inspiration! My nurse today said I should have less soup. It has a lot of salt in it. I am eating more vegetables and whole grain bread and still drinking lots of cranberry juice. I am susceptible to salt weight gain. Perhaps this will work. My legs are still swollen but I'm trying to walk aroung the house.
Unread 01-25-2005, 05:17 PM

Thank God! I am not alone! I had my TAH on 10/13/04 and I too had a 15lb weight gain and my stomache is STILL swollen. As if a hysterectomy at 32 isn't depressing enough. I have heard that the swelling can take months to go away.

Unread 01-25-2005, 07:37 PM
weight gain

Hello everyone, I am also in the same boat. I got home 2 days ago and I was praying for a weight loss. First thing walked over to the scale and found a 7lb weight gain. How could I gain weight when I can even stand the taste of anything. I haven't been eating and I thought for sure I would loose some weight. I will be 1 week this Thurs and as I am writing I am experiencing a hot flash. Im hoping soon I will get on the scale and see it going down. But I have been resting alot, haven't been doing to much walking it hurts to much. Any advice....Grace

TAH/BSO for endo, enlarged uterus, pain on right side, kept cervix...
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:14 AM

Hi,

Thank you everyone for your support. I am eight days past my operation. I was the one who started this thread with a 15 lb. weight gain. I weighed myself this morning and I had lost 3 lbs. since I came home. That means I have 12 lbs. to lose now. I may not lose it all, but I'd be happy to lose 8 more. I can't say I did anything except drink lots of fluids and try to lessen my salt intake. If you are trying to lose weight, make sure you still eat plenty of fiber rich foods. That's what my nurse told me, and also don't lower your protein intake. Maybe I'll be back to normal in another week or two. That would be a great ego booster for me. Hope everyone else is seeing some improvement. You're all great here.

Malie

Unread 01-26-2005, 10:28 AM
weight

I am glad to hear you lost 3lbs, well I have some good news to. This morning I got on my scale and to my suprise I lost 6lbs. Well needless to say I was flabergasted. Im hoping to lose more, before I gain that dreaded menopausal weight. Let you know if I loose more. Thanks girls.....Grace
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:58 AM

I was bloated big-time.. but I have since lost the weight and I'm still loosin it. hehe...of course I pee like 7 times day..hehe... I too had to take milk of mag.. (gross)... for bm.

Unread 01-26-2005, 12:12 PM

I think most of the weight is liquids from swelling. I gained 6 pounds and my body fat went from 44 to 49%. (I have a Tanita scale.) It came off rather quickly once I was home, plus I have lost 5 pounds more, but my body fat has only dropped to 45%.

I keep telling myself that things will never be the same again. Once you are in menopause, your metabolism changes, and it will be much harder to gain and retain muscle. I have been 50 to 60 pounds over weight for a large part of my life, so I know how hard it is to fight those cravings.

I was grocery shopping yesterday, and it was so awful... wanting to buy all kinds of bad stuff, and fighting it. I ended up buying a bag of cheetos and some reduced fat oreos, and that was a GOOD day of self control, lol.

After surgery, I started a food diary. Although I am not perfect, I find it helps me eat less. I also keep an exercise diary, which encourages me to exercise a little harder every day.

I can't wait until I can be back up to exercising fully. I love lifting weights, which is soooooo good for increasing metabolism and preventing osteoporosis.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register