5 weeks, when can I vacuum again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks, when can I vacuum again 5 weeks, when can I vacuum again

Unread 01-23-2005, 06:28 PM
5 weeks, when can I vacuum again

I was released by my doc for "EVERYTHING" last week, and vacuumed ONE room today, and now I'm SPOTTING again.

Needless to say, I am a bit <oops! Please don't try to override the website censor!> since I've been so well behaved for 5 weeks. (off and on )

How long do I have to wait????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Hi MarlaJoy,

We have the same surgery date and I was released at 4 weeks for "everything". Ha!! I knew I was not yet ready for all activities. I am still swelly and have a few little nagging pains remaining, but overall feel pretty good. However....my body yelled at me (by bleeding also) when I carried too much laundry one day, and bent over to pick up too many things another day.

I think the answer is that we should resume things a little at a time, and listen to our bodies. Compare what you are able to do now with what you were able to do a few weeks ago. We are making progress, just not fast enough for our liking sometimes
And vacuuming is one of the most straining activities for the abdomen if you think about it.

Wait a few days and try again. Maybe half the room, take a short rest, then finish. That's what I did with mopping. I had to do it in sections, with a little rest in between, but it got done.

Take care as you get back to your normal routine, sister.

Rosalie
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I had my surgery a couple days before you two, and I will not touch a vacuum. No way. My cousin did it too early and paid dearly for it in the pain/spotting dept. Nope. Let it look AWFUL. I will just have one of the kiddo's do it. I am so scared of my vacuum cleaner. I think I will wait like 3 months before I will try. Heck, they say it could take us up to a year to heal. Maybe I can get the kids to do it all the time for me. :-)

I clean, don't get me wrong... just scared of the vacuum!! LOL.

(maybe because I really want a new one)

Just ask someone else to do it for you for a week more or so if it has to be done. Don't hurt yourselves with housework! If I am going to hurt myself, I wanna be doing something fun.... Like eating ice cream LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2005, 08:48 PM

I have to admit I vacuumed a bit tonight as I just couldnt take my bedroom anymore. I had asked DH if he would do it and he said yes, but not today. He was doing other things so I wasnt upset with the answer. I just didn't want to look at it anymore! I hope I don't pay for it!!
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:57 PM

Ladies, ladies! When the urge to vacuum becomes too powerful, you must learn to lie down until the feeling passes .....

Just kidding. But, even though that vacuum seems harmless, it's amazing how much you use your abdominal muscles when you're pushing and pulling that thing around. Please be careful!

My doc told me absolutely NO vacuuming for 6 weeks, and no lifting of anything more than a gallon of milk, either. (I went a step further and just figured I had a two-pound limit of what I could lift. And it was OK -- there are usually people around to do any heavy lifting.)

Good luck to everyone!
Unread 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM

Hi all!

I just keep hearing it, and I believe it. Listen to your body. It will tell you what you can do. I have been approaching all my activities slowly. If it feels good, great. If I get that tense or achy feel, I stop. Still have the swelly belly pretty bad, and it is a good indicator of how "good" I've been. No matter what your doctory clears me for, I have to live with this body. I want to enjoy the benefits of the surgery (no more cramping, bleeding, etc.) instead of creating a new set of problems.

Take care,
Unread 01-23-2005, 09:05 PM

Hi MarlaJoy,

the official word is that you can vacuum anytime.... at my house!

must admit, i did it at week 6 and paid for it, and i have one of those selp-propelled !!!

Be careful,
Maralyn
Unread 01-23-2005, 11:35 PM

I vacuumed for the first time today. I am almost nine weeks post op.

Just did a family room area rug. No more. Taking it slowly and not trying to do the whole house in one go!!

To all the sisters who are really early in their recovery....DO NOT VACUUM!! It is not worth hurting yourself.

I am a clean freak and knew that this surgery would be REALLY HARD for me in terms of letting go of the chores. I also knew that it was important for me not to do it. I wanted to heal right and safely the first time. It is soooo tempting sometimes, but let it be. Either get someone else to do it, or FORGET ABOUT IT!

Happy healing gals!

Sarah
Unread 01-24-2005, 01:24 AM

I was released at 5 weeks to do my normal housework. I vacuumed and it did not seem to hurt me at the time. Now at almost 9 months I am facing prolapse surgery. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but forget doing those strainous activities!! It isn't worth it!!

Peggy
Unread 01-24-2005, 09:06 PM

OK ladies, I have been sufficiently chastised. I will not vacuum (although the offer from Maralyn was hard to pass up

Thanks for your support. I hope I haven't done any damage.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register